Coral Vue Hydros

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

jedimasterben

i have herd and seen a lot of cases where dart fish and basslets fight? or more specific fire fish and royal grammas. not all of them but some have been a hit or miss.

They're two very different kinds of fish, even different shapes. As long as you do not keep them too closed up (a 20g is fine), you won't have issues. Grammas only become bitchy if they're cooped up and feel like the other fish are on top of them all the time.

Fishgirl2393

Another question. I just used a turkey baster and blasted my rocks and there seems to be a LOT of detritus. How can I go about removing it better (filtration methods) besides water changes (I know that gets rid of it but it seems that having it in the tank is NOT good)?

Another question. I just used a turkey baster and blasted my rocks and there seems to be a LOT of detritus. How can I go about removing it better (filtration methods) besides water changes (I know that gets rid of it but it seems that having it in the tank is NOT good)?

Baste it frequently and let your filtration remove it.

• Like 3

How frequently, daily, weekly, two times daily, twice weekly? Basting is great because it takes very little time! :)

the more the better

• Like 1
jedimasterben

How frequently, daily, weekly, two times daily, twice weekly? Basting is great because it takes very little time! :)

Keep doing it until it is gone. All depends on your mechanical filtration, but just keep doing it. If you have time, do it at least every hour or so, but just keep at it.

• Like 3

Your tank will look like a snow globe. But eventually it will all get caught by the filter. Just be sure to have filter floss in the filter while doing this.

• Like 2
Fishgirl2393

Water change hopefully tomorrow because I couldn't get water today. Could old T5HO lights (over a year old) be fueling cyano growth? It's not bad, just annoying. I know nitrates need to be lowered to prevent it but I'm just wondering if the old lights could also be contributing.

Could old T5HO lights (over a year old)

:slap:

You are supposed to replace those at around 9 months. Which reminds me I have to get on my new led fixture soon to avoid buying more bulbs.

• Like 1

O_O anywhere

cmon girly gotta go out and explore.

hears what you do. walk into your LFS, charm the crap out of the guy working and bam free ish

• Like 2
llama roadkill
OK. I just wondered. That's my next purchase for the tank then! :)

Where???

Pretty much any pet store that carries a smudge of fish supplies. Best luck would be at your LFS,

Fishgirl2393

I know they sell T5HO lights but they're like $18 for one Coralife bulb! So, I've been looking around for cheaper options. I can always go with Odyssea bulbs again but was looking into better ones. However, the odyssea ones are not horrible. They're not the best but when new, they're not so bad.

I know they sell T5HO lights but they're like $18 for one Coralife bulb! So, I've been looking around for cheaper options. I can always go with Odyssea bulbs again but was looking into better ones. However, the odyssea ones are not horrible. They're not the best but when new, they're not so bad.

Remember, cheap can also run you into problems. I'm not saying go all out but getting a middle grade price wise might be best. And I've heard Coralife's aren't great, that they are not bright enough. Just keep researching like you are, research is your best friend.

ATI and Giesemann are top of the line so far as T5 goes. I would really recommend getting at least one of their bulbs to try out. Preferably the actinic to keep your corals colorful and healthy.

jedimasterben

Water change hopefully tomorrow because I couldn't get water today. Could old T5HO lights (over a year old) be fueling cyano growth? It's not bad, just annoying. I know nitrates need to be lowered to prevent it but I'm just wondering if the old lights could also be contributing.

T5HO need to be replaced every 6-9 months. 6 months if they run hot, 9 months if they are actively cooled (via a fan).

I would spend the money and get high-quality bulbs. You're looking at $15-20 each for them. I recommend ATI.

llama roadkill

Or a cheaper LED. Like a ReefBreeders Value Fixture. You do not need a terrible amount of light as you are to growing Clams or SPS, but it would be nice to save money in the long run and have a good source of light with your corals.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

OK. So, I'm going to continue looking for bulbs. I'm doing a water change later today/tonight. I currently have about 6-7 hermit crabs and a nerite snail for clean-up-crew but I'm wondering if more would be a good thing to get.