Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Nano sapiens
Yes I have! Learnt so much Except how to keep florida riccordea. :huh:

Hmmm, are they just not thriving or do they end up melting/shrinking/disappearing?

albertthiel
Melting/Shrinking

They do IME experience not like to be exposed to intense light when you first put them in the aquarium, so placing them in a shaded area is best IME. Once they start extending and looking for more light I suggest they be moved a little more into the light but not fully yet.

This can be done several times until they appear to be comfortable with higher lighting levels and remain nicely open ...

IME they are also sensitive to dKH changes either up or down and sometimes when doing water changes such rises or drops in dKH can easily be brought about making the Ricordea react negatively.

Although one would think that they are more resistant and can take a little more abuse, that is IME not the case and care needs to be taken when acclimating them and paying attention to where they are placed at first when added to the aquarium FWIW

Albert

The best city in the world was lit up like a jewel last night

NYC_dusk2_July4th2012.JPG

My brother takes amazing pictures. This was my view.

Nice! We watched NYC's fireworks for a while last night. Pyrotechnics just don't translate, not even on a 60" TV!

Nano sapiens
Melting/Shrinking

Looks like Albert beat me to it :)

Hitting Rics with too much light when introduced is a leading cause of decline. If I were running a higher light tank, I'd start them off in at least a half-shaded area on the bottom and gradually bring them out into more light (you can see them start to 'stretch' when they want more). Flow is the other main factor; it should be 'mild' so that the Rics mantle is gently lifted in the current, not flapping aound. In a lower light (28W)/lower flow system such as mine, I only place wild R. yuma in partial shade to start, but R. florida I'll place anywhere on the bottom.

However, I have had a pair of well established yellow Ricordia floridas shrivel up for no apparent reason, so sometimes the cause is just not known.

Rics are so cool, give 'em another try :)

... Flow is the other main factor; it should be 'mild' so that the Rics mantle is gently lifted in the current, not flapping aound. In a lower light (28W)/lower flow system such as mine, I only place wild R. yuma in partial shade to start, but R. florida I'll place anywhere on the bottom.

Mine are on the bottom, also in a lower/gentler flow with flow very much like you describe. With the exception of one that just never thrived in the tank, my rics have done well (though never split, as I kvetch about in my thread!).

Nano sapiens
Mine are on the bottom, also in a lower/gentler flow with flow very much like you describe. With the exception of one that just never thrived in the tank, my rics have done well (though never split, as I kvetch about in my thread!).

They need energy and nutrients to split, but even then it can take some time Give adequate light and feed well.

My rics didn't like the high light so I moved them to shade. It is still the same size after 3 months :(

Probably not getting enough energy. Slowly bring it back into more light and feed it. Mine love Mysis shrimp, salmon, table shrimp and I spot feed them about once a week (if I was looking for growth I'd feed 2 - 3x/wk).

I've tried keeping rics for about 8 months, in different tanks, difference color rics. My lighting is not intense to begin with, in the old tank I had PC's then I had LED's with a PAR of 85 which is really low.

In this tank I have T5s and LED's but even with those the substrate where the lone Florida Ric sits is not getting fried. And it has low-moderate flow. I had 2 Yumas, one is doing well the other melted to mush.

Regular mushrooms of the non riccordea species are doing great.

106.gif

Edited by metrokat
Nano sapiens
I've tried keeping rics for about 8 months, in different tanks, difference color rics. My lighting is not intense to begin with, in the old tank I had PC's then I had LED's with a PAR of 85 which is really low.

In this tank I have T5s and LED's but even with those the substrate where the lone Florida Ric sits is not getting fried. And it has low-moderate flow. I had 2 Yumas, one is doing well the other melted to mush.

106.gif

Yumas are a crap-shoot. I lost two of the nicest wild Yumas I've ever seen to melting when I first started my Nano ;( My fault, as I injured the base on one of them and it all rolled downhill from there. Safest bet is aquacutured.

Well, at least one Yuma is doing well! As for the Florida, does it eat at least?

Mine won't eat anything. Rods food, pellets, mysis, cyclops, reefcleaners filter feeder food, nothin. It just slimes up, slews everything off, then goes back to "normal"

Well, at least one Yuma is doing well! As for the Florida, does it eat at least?

Not that I have noticed.

Here's a spotted mushroom in my soon to be retired pico. This pico gets little light, fewer waterchanges and no food. And I've got halimeda, xenia, red grape macro, hidden cup corals, blue tubbs, ked reds, plutoniums and palys growing well, along with a couple of stray mushrooms. Any corals that run away in the big tank, I throw in here and they stay alive. Go figure.

IMG_9433.CR2.jpg

That mushroom is expanding to get light, and is about 3 inches in diameter

Edited by metrokat
Nano sapiens
Not that I have noticed.

Here's a spotted mushroom in my soon to be retired pico. This pico gets little light, fewer waterchanges and no food. And I've got halimeda, xenia, red grape macro, hidden cup corals, blue tubbs, ked reds, plutoniums and palys growing well, along with a couple of stray mushrooms. Any corals that run away in the big tank, I throw in here and they stay alive. Go figure.

IMG_9433.CR2.jpg

Discosoma, Rhodactilis and relatives are, as a rule, much more forgiving of very low light, chemicals excreted from other algae and coral, buildup of wastes, etc.

I tend to think of Ricordia more in terms of an anemone than a mushroom in regards to the water quality they do best in. Discosoma mushrooms tend not to do as well in pristine systems.

Since you have a lot of macro algae, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the chemical compounds they release are interfering with the Ricordias' health and vigor.

albertthiel

106.gif

Are you getting the FLA ones or are they from other areas ... I know if FLA they are not the wild types

Albert

GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME! Slap an apron on me and call me mommy. My kitchen was a restaurant today.

Waffles for breakfast

Indian food for lunch

Gnocchi in cream sauce for the niece and nephew for dinner.

Kung Pao chicken with Rice for Dinner for the brother.

I'm sipping wine.

Oh. In between that and the gym, work and assembling an Ikea cabinet, I managed to superglue 2 small colonies of hydroids. YESSSSS! I am superwoman! RAWR!

Edited by metrokat

Where is Magic Mike when you need him! Oh, Saturday, I forgot. egyptian.gif

dont be a tease. whatd you make

Kurkuri Bhindi (Okra)

Gobi Aaloo (Cauliflower & Potato)

Boondi Dahi (yogurt with stuff)

Roti (bread)

Not that I have noticed.

IMG_9433.CR2.jpg

Kat, Ive got the same musshy in my pico tank. +1 They dont do well in "very clean" water. But grow like mad when in smaller water volume and less water changes. As far as the Yuma/ Ricorida musshys, Low flow+Overfeeding+med light usaly made mine split and grow without issues.

Who cares about yogurt. Where is the sump pics?

6491bd16.jpg

Certain people live yogurt, thank you very much. But plus one on the sump pics kat. Don't be like iballs.