Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Kat, if the system was under any kind of pressure (like the radiator hose in your car), then yes you'd want a stronger hose clamp. This part of the overflow, I believe is just gravity fed? A real tight zip tie would suffice. For insurance against slippage, sure, use a hose clamp like Zeph showed. Otherwise your golden.

did someone say dingo?

DINGOLindyontheprowl.jpg

A dingo really DID take her baby..

Edited by mike c
Kat, if the system was under any kind of pressure (like the radiator hose in your car), then yes you'd want a stronger hose clamp. This part of the overflow, I believe is just gravity fed? A real tight zip tie would suffice. For insurance against slippage, sure, use a hose clamp like Zeph showed. Otherwise your golden.

Yes it's just gravity fed.

IMG_20120705_220447.jpg

mmmmmm I love me some properly seated hose. Cool ya jets zeph those clamps will work perfect on a lovely barb fitting like that though I would put two on as my own kind of stress reducing backup

mmmmmm I love me some properly seated hose. Cool ya jets zeph those clamps will work perfect on a lovely barb fitting like that though I would put two on as my own kind of stress reducing backup

If that clamp is fine why would you use a back up? omgomgomg

If that clamp is fine why would you use a back up? omgomgomg

fair call 1 would be fine but when they're 10c each why not two??

I assume you would use w5 hose clamps were you to use the worm drive kind?

fair call 1 would be fine but when they're 10c each why not two??

I assume you would use w5 hose clamps were you to use the worm drive kind?

Well, the correct and fool proof clamp is like 50 cents, so why not just use that. Those plastic squeeze type clamps are made for underwater use and pop off all the time.

Well, the correct and fool proof clamp is like 50 cents, so why not just use that. Those plastic squeeze type clamps are made for underwater use and pop off all the time.

Speaking frem experaince, Dont use squeez type clamps. Ur floor could get wet. I used the metal ones, like in this.pic.

705W.jpg

Edited by boxboy

HAHA alright then I give, though proper 316 clamps of that size (25mm?) will be around $2 :lol: but will probably outlast the tank. Get a worm drive kat

picture-of-flooded-house-roof-2.jpg

albertthiel

Yes that is my experience too, underwater they may last for a while but I think the SW gets them to disintegrate after some time. Of course I shouldn't even point this out worm clamps are for out of the water use only :-0

I would also not overtighthen them as they will bite through soft acrylic tubing

OTOH why not glue the pieces together assuming you are gluing pvc and acrylic hose ... on which you can use pvc glue IME

Albert

Barbed fittings with the correct size hose would be fine with the plastic clamp, in fact I have no clamps on my barbs and haven't for years because that's what the barbs are for with gravity feeds. If you use the worm drive clamp, do not over tighten it! It will cut your hose or warp your barb causing a leak.

Edited by LongPig
Barbed fittings with the correct size hose would be fine with the plastic clamp, in fact I have no clamps on my barbs and haven't for years because that's what the barbs are for with gravity feeds. If you use the worm drive clamp, do not over tighten it! It will cut your hose or warp your barb causing a leak.

Thank you Piggy.

MAG 5 ARRIVED! The thing is huge!