Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Thank you Piggy.

MAG 5 ARRIVED! The thing is huge!

They are good sized pumps. I currently have four of them. In fact I have two in my one sump because the feed on my Aqua C Urchin Pro S is a Mag 5.

They are good sized pumps. I currently have four of them. In fact I have two in my one sump because the feed on my Aqua C Urchin Pro S is a Mag 5.

I'm going to have to find some rubber feet for this thing. I'll run it as is for now and see how loud it gets.

Made a cage to put the fuge light on so it sits lower on the macros

IMG_20120706_212700.jpg

Did a dry run. PVC pipe is too long, with the hose attached to it, it has to bend a lot to get out the back opening of the cabinet, so I'll be re-making it with a shorter PVC length. Also decided that the little opening on the right side before the return baffles are the perfect size for the nano reactor I am currently running in the back chambers of the tank. I would have had to remove it anyway other wise removal of it to change media with the overflow in place would be a headache.

IMG_20120706_212811.jpg

Sump will run tomorrow. :scarry:

Edited by metrokat
What happens to the light if the power goes out and the sump fills up?

Good question! The test run will give me the answer to how much water will drain from the tank before the siphon stops. The light will be raised above that.

Made a cage to put the fuge light on so it sits lower on the macros

IMG_20120706_212700.jpg

Did a dry run. PVC pipe is too long, with the hose attached to it, it has to bend a lot to get out the back opening of the cabinet, so I'll be re-making it with a shorter PVC length. Also decided that the little opening on the right side before the return baffles are the perfect size for the nano reactor I am currently running in the back chambers of the tank. I would have had to remove it anyway other wise removal of it to change media with the overflow in place would be a headache.

IMG_20120706_212811.jpg

Sump will run tomorrow. :scarry:

Good lord did you use the WHOLE bottle of primer?:)

Oh, I am.

16m3czl.jpg

Do you want the furry of a little asian man to come down on you or something bro?

No sir

Good lord did you use the WHOLE bottle of primer?:)

No sir

:blush:

It kinda ran everywhere and even dripped on my marble floor.

:(

And nippy meant FURY, he was typing with greasy hands while eating spices so his eyes were running and he couldn't see! Grrrr

:o

GRRRR where's that PIGGY?!

Yes they make clear primer but I figured purple would help you make sure all surfaces were properly coated. I didn't mean the floor to be one of those surfaces.

Nano Sapiens hamster bottle ATO for his nano was always something I wanted in my tank, not necessarily as an ATO because my tank uses a lot of top off. Nano Sapiens had his mounted on an acrylic block and I did not have the means to have such a block made.

Lately I have been dosing to get my dKH up and re-visited the idea in lieu of using an expensive doser. I'm not sure it will work but I'm giving it a try.

IMG_20120706_233843.jpg

Nano sapiens
Nano Sapiens hamster bottle ATO for his nano was always something I wanted in my tank, not necessarily as an ATO because my tank uses a lot of top off. Nano Sapiens had his mounted on an acrylic block and I did not have the means to have such a block made.

Lately I have been dosing to get my dKH up and re-visited the idea in lieu of using an expensive doser. I'm not sure it will work but I'm giving it a try.

IMG_20120706_233843.jpg

Hey, that looks familiar (now where have I seen that before...hmmm...) :)

Curious to see how it works out.

I would say it's not necessary, as long as your hose is properly sized and fitted on the barb all the way through, it should take a good amount of force to remove it.

Those plastic clamps came with the rena xp canister filters and the hose was somewhat tight and dififcult to push on to their barbed inlet /outlet valve. Years later when I stopped using the filter to clean it up, the hose was stuck and couldn't be removed w/o running it under hot water for 5 minutes.

If your set up is that tight and secure then I'd just use it with the clamps.

I'm still working out the kinks, have had several heart attacks and am about to pour a large single malt.

LongPig was on speed dial from early morning.

I went to Home Depot directly after my spin class, dropped a box of pipe fittings on my head to start off my day just right. After it finished raining dust on me, I gathered my little parts and headed home. Re-did the PVC section, needed an elbow which HD did not have so made the elbow. Got PVC primer all over myself this time, AND on the marble floor again. That thing is just jinxed.

Serenity Reef has been a total sweetheart, he set up his sump and overflow on a dry tank and measured every pipe and fitting and hose and barb and sent me pictures of everything. (We have the same tank)

So without these two awesome guys I would be in trouble.

I am not comfortable with this sump business, so I am anticipating a sleepless night. Wish I had those water alarm things that make an alarm when water touches them. I would put them all around the tank. Or maybe I should shut it off for the night, I can't decide.

Who came over and did it for you? :)

I wish I could say a name but you can just call me Kat.

B)

Edited by metrokat
Thats a really nice sump kat.

:naughtydance: thank you!

The guy who made it for me made a couple of mistakes.

-The return pump chamber is sized for a mag5 but does not account for the filter sponge that comes in the package for the inlet. Even if I don't use it, the pump is a tight fit. With PVC attached to a heavy hose going into the tank, the mag is tilted at an angle because there is no room for play

-The baffles are too far apart and easy to get debris through. I feel there should be a sponge block or something somewhere in the sump to stop the crap from the fuge getting into the DT. Could I put a sponge or filter pad in the baffles? Will that restrict flow a lot?

+1.

Quit tempting me to buy stuff like you. >:(

If you only knew how much I agonized over every detail and expense. I budgeted for it, made some coral sales to cover some of the costs too. My sump is custom made but it was a steal!

Lookin good MK, hope the sump works out well for you.

Thank you! I hope so too.

:naughtydance: thank you!

The guy who made it for me made a couple of mistakes.

-The return pump chamber is sized for a mag5 but does not account for the filter sponge that comes in the package for the inlet. Even if I don't use it, the pump is a tight fit. With PVC attached to a heavy hose going into the tank, the mag is tilted at an angle because there is no room for play

-The baffles are too far apart and easy to get debris through. I feel there should be a sponge block or something somewhere in the sump to stop the crap from the fuge getting into the DT. Could I put a sponge or filter pad in the baffles? Will that restrict flow a lot?

If you only knew how much I agonized over every detail and expense. I budgeted for it, made some coral sales to cover some of the costs too. My sump is custom made but it was a steal!

Thank you! I hope so too.

The sumps looks great- and I'm sorry but you will probably not sleep the first night, it is a bit agonizing

Anyhoo the last time I ran a fuge, I wanted the the live stuff to get through so kept the flow through the fuge relatively slow. This allowed detritus to fall to the bottom but living things were free to leave such as zoo and phytoplankton. I imagine this is one reason you want to run a fuge. So I wouldn't sponge off the area nor would I put a sponge filter on the intake of the Magnum. BTW this is IMO FWIW :D

Edited by flampton