Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Right now 93 in ATL going up to 102 or more ... need some Ice Tea for sure ...

Been on roofs all day in South Florida. Hot. Hot. Hot...

I want a new pump like Kat's!

albertthiel
Been on roofs all day in South Florida. Hot. Hot. Hot...

I want a new pump like Kat's!

103 in Alpharetta but inside it's OK ...broke the record .. tomorrow even hotter ... hope A/C holds up ...

Humidity is nasty ... staying inside ...

I AM SO UPSET.

i was gluing down frags, and turned off my pumps keeping the MP10 on the lowest possible setting. Slowly working around the tank and what do I notice?

Ruby the female clownfish had Geowge the Midas Blenny BY THE TAIL and was swimming around and around a rock. Let me repeat that, the clownfish had the Blenny by the tail and was swinging him around. After a few really loud F words that the kids in the house unfortunately heard loud and clear and so did my mother! I slapped the glass while still yelling. The blasted fish did not let go of my blenny!

I was panicking! So I dipped my hand in to get her to let him go and she still would not! OMG! What a nightmare. I have no idea what prompted her to finally open her death grip on the little guy but she did and he darted back to his spot. She then almost nipped Max the other clown who promptly started doing the shimmy to calm her down.

Poor Geowge is in hiding and Ruby is patrolling the waters like a mean shark.

This cannot continue!!!

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

Edited by metrokat

I waited 2 months to get Geowge from Live Aquaria. I can't give him to my LFS. And I've had Max and Ruby for so long but this is ridiculous. Someone has to go right. Or is there another solution?

albertthiel
I AM SO UPSET.

i was gluing down frags, and turned off my pumps keeping the MP10 on the lowest possible setting. Slowly working around the tank and what do I notice?

Ruby the female clownfish had Geowge the Midas Blenny BY THE TAIL and was swimming around and around a rock. Let me repeat that, the clownfish had the Blenny by the tail and was swinging him around. After a few really loud F words that the kids in the house unfortunately heard loud and clear and so did my mother! I slapped the glass while still yelling. The blasted fish did not let go of my blenny!

I was panicking! So I dipped my hand in to get her to let him go and she still would not! OMG! What a nightmare. I have no idea what prompted her to finally open her death grip on the little guy but she did and he darted back to his spot. She then almost nipped Max the other clown who promptly started doing the shimmy to calm her down.

Poor Geowge is in hiding and Ruby is patrolling the waters like a mean shark.

This cannot continue!!!

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

So sorry Kat to read what happened .... but yes Clowns can get aggressive and it could be that while your hands were in the tank that Ruby got somehow panicked and felt threatened and took it out on Geowge ...

It's one of those things that happens sometimes that even with all the knowledge and experience once may have acquired we cannot explain or understand especially when it happens so unexpectedly.

Hopefully Ruby will calm down and things will get back to normal and hopefully Geowge is not hurt too much and can recuperate ...

I am sure you are keeping an eye on it all and in the worst of all cases Ruby will have to go and be sold ... could be, not sure.

Clown behavior can be that unpredictable unfortunately

You could get a hang on in the tank basket and put Ruby in there for a period of time till everyone calms down hopefully

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
turn the beotch into a really sophisticated hors d'oevre for your next dinner party

It doesn't help me if I serve Ruby to guests in the future, the problem is right now.

Should I make her into like a sushi roll?

nemo%20sushi%20-%20crop.jpg

albertthiel
It doesn't help me if I serve Ruby to guests in the future, the problem is right now.

Should I make her into like a sushi roll?

nemo%20sushi%20-%20crop.jpg

I would get a hang-on basket for in the tank use and put her in there Kat

Sorry to hear kat ive had issues with my midas blennies being aggressive towards other tankmates...not the other way around.In any case Its time to take the blenny out as it will only get worse and eventually lead to death from assault or accidental suicide.

Ruby the female clownfish had Geowge the Midas Blenny BY THE TAIL and was swimming around and around a rock.

Yes, this is why Bozette does not have ocellaris company. I added a companion and she beat the tar out of it, just like Ruby did -- grabbing it by the tail and shaking. She went after the damsel, too, but was too slow to catch her...then Bozette took a nip at my hand today while I was fixing rocks. Sigh. I openly admit that when she does that, I do the alpha-dog thing: I chase back. She's never gone after the trimma or anything else, though, and I swear she used to hang out with the Rainfordi goby before he died! Clowns are weird, I guess. Could she be going through adolescence? A period of increased aggression/aggravation while the

hormones work themselves out...kind of like my not-quite-12-year-old daughter...hmmm.

I have considered removing Bozette and going with a firefish. Sorry you're having this trouble. Difficult to know what to do. I took Gilda back the same day I saw her going after the inverts. Bozette mostly ignores everyone else or just sort of noses about curiously. I will be curious to see how you handle this!

[not that it matters, but I went for the frappucino today -- not nearly as good. I like my coffee like I like my margaritas: on the rocks, double shot, no salt!!]

[p.s. -- awesome pic of sushi -- how do you do that??]

Edited by msscha

One of my Percs just nipped off the bottom half of my Anthias tail. Probably the female, she's such a bish! Off with her head!

And by the way...68° and sunny in SB, Cali B)

One of my Percs just nipped off the bottom half of my Anthias tail. Probably the female, she's such a bish! Off with her head!

And by the way...68° and sunny in SB, Cali B)

sure rub it in our faces.

altolamprologus

Hey Kat, this may not work, but it's worth a try. Catch the clown and keep her in a guppy breeder net for a few days. That usually works to put the fish in it's place and make it calm down a bit.

Hey Kat, this may not work, but it's worth a try. Catch the clown and keep her in a guppy breeder net for a few days. That usually works to put the fish in it's place and make it calm down a bit.

This may work :) I had a really mean Royal Gramma once, he wouldn't let my butterfly get food so I took him out, put him in another tank for several weeks and when he went back in, he was no longer a meanie

el fabuloso

Yikes! When I first introduced my flame angel in my tank my BSJF would drag her around by her tail. But this was mostly because the angel would try to swim into the jawfish's tunnel so he was just evicting her. After a while she learned to stay away from his territory and he realized that she wasn't going anywhere and he finally stopped dragging her around by her tail. But clowns are a different story and I can only imagine things getting worse over time.

egyptian.gif

I HAS SUMP/FUGE!

IMG_20120630_095321.jpg

Gosh the thing is a monster! I almost thought it wasn't going to fit in the cabinet. :scarry:

It looks very solid and sturdy. Jeff at Custom King made my design which was based off of the discussion on this thread a few pages ago. I'm not sure how it will work out yet but it looks good.

It uses a 300 micron sock from eshopps. Jeff said I could use a 200 micron which will catch more debris but will clog up faster. I guess I'll just have to run the sump for a while to figure out how it works. Right now I'm still at the stage that requires scratching my head to figure out what plumbing parts and hose sizes are needed. :huh:

Some questions I have include, how the heck do I clean the sock when the sump is running? Do I shut it down?

Jeff showed me where the ATO goes, but not sure where I'm going to keep the reservoir because as you can see, it takes up the whole cabinet.

Overnight leak test going on:

IMG_20120630_102947.jpg

So excited

Thank you Alto, I'll give that a try.

This may work :) I had a really mean Royal Gramma once, he wouldn't let my butterfly get food so I took him out, put him in another tank for several weeks and when he went back in, he was no longer a meanie

Yoshii cross all the fingers and toes for me.

Yikes! When I first introduced my flame angel in my tank my BSJF would drag her around by her tail. But this was mostly because the angel would try to swim into the jawfish's tunnel so he was just evicting her. After a while she learned to stay away from his territory and he realized that she wasn't going anywhere and he finally stopped dragging her around by her tail. But clowns are a different story and I can only imagine things getting worse over time.

:o Wish I had a ban stick for tank inhabitants. :angry:

Sorry to hear kat ive had issues with my midas blennies being aggressive towards other tankmates...not the other way around.In any case Its time to take the blenny out as it will only get worse and eventually lead to death from assault or accidental suicide.

Thanks Eugene, I hope it doesn't come to that but the incident was ridiculous to watch and must not be repeated, I'm going ot try what Alto suggested and see what happens. I mentioned to TS that I might have to get rid of Ruby, he said "But those clown fish are the main attraction of your tank" making me feel guilty as hell.

[not that it matters, but I went for the frappucino today -- not nearly as good. I like my coffee like I like my margaritas: on the rocks, double shot, no salt!!]

[p.s. -- awesome pic of sushi -- how do you do that??]

Heyy, so the picture is off the net, I had seen it before so just google nemo sushi. But I suppose for kicks you could make it with salmon and cream cheese, like a philly roll with twist.

Next time you're at the bucks, try my fav drink: Skinny espresso frap. mmmm so good!

You could get a hang on in the tank basket and put Ruby in there for a period of time till everyone calms down hopefully

Thank you Albert, I'm going to try that.

albertthiel
egyptian.gif

I HAS SUMP/FUGE!

IMG_20120630_095321.jpg

Overnight leak test going on:

IMG_20120630_102947.jpg

Thank you Albert, I'm going to try that.

Nice KAT ... good luck in setting it up ... I am sure you'll do OK

Albert

Holy Moly Kat is getting sumped

:happydance:

I am I am. Although the plumbing has me frustrated as hell. Despite countless PM's sent to innumerable forum members, I still DON't have all the parts needed. :wacko:

The guys at home depot look at me like I'm from outer space. I finally had to call LongPig and trouble shoot. :bowdown:

Anyway, here is Ruby having her time out:

IMG_20120701_172131.jpg

Geowge has been swimming around all day and I am shocked to see how emancipated he looks. The brief glimpses I had of him when Ruby was around were so quick before he would dart back into his hideout that I never noticed his sunken belly. I should have given Ruby a time out much sooner. I'm going to fatten this little fishy up, I'm lucky he is a hungry fella.

Making water for the sump

IMG_20120701_172208.jpg

And I took some pictures of the tank which I have yet to upload.

albertthiel
:happydance:

I am I am. Although the plumbing has me frustrated as hell. Despite countless PM's sent to innumerable forum members, I still DON't have all the parts needed. :wacko:

The guys at home depot look at me like I'm from outer space. I finally had to call LongPig and trouble shoot. :bowdown:

Anyway, here is Ruby having her time out:

IMG_20120701_172131.jpg

Geowge has been swimming around all day and I am shocked to see how emancipated he looks. The brief glimpses I had of him when Ruby was around were so quick before he would dart back into his hideout that I never noticed his sunken belly. I should have given Ruby a time out much sooner. I'm going to fatten this little fishy up, I'm lucky he is a hungry fella.

Making water for the sump

IMG_20120701_172208.jpg

And I took some pictures of the tank which I have yet to upload.

Yes Kat I feel for you ... those intricately built sumps can be a pxxxn to hook up correctly. Surprised they did not send you exact instructions of what goes where etc ... I am sure you'll figure it out though ... maybe a sleepless night (and not in "Seattle"). Good luck with it ... and yes fatten up that fish of yours ...