Leptastrea getting all bubbly

IMG_4727.JPG

See response in my thread based on your question

Galaxea is pissed off

IMG_4754.JPG

I can't imagine why :)

Tubbs Bird, need to get it back to being healthy

IMG_4755.JPG

Looks like it needs to come out of that tank and be treated ... browning not good as you know

Looks like it needs to come out of that tank and be treated ... browning not good as you know

- It's not brown,'t it's actually yellow. I was commenting on the white tips.

The polyps are purple which makes the contrast of purple on yellow look brown in the picture, it's low light, I'll take a better picture of it later.

Edited by metrokat
albertthiel

The polyps are purple which makes the contrast of purple on yellow look brown in the picture, it's low light, I'll take a better picture of it later.

The white tips are probably new growth Kat ... but yes do send another pic

Calling it a night ....

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Dat pink birdnest :wub: The sun coral looks great too!

And your leptastrea is creeping me out, does it always do that? :eek:

:lol:

no I think it pigged out, I fed heavy after ages today. Those seem to be air bubbles or poop.

The white tips are probably new growth Kat ... but yes do send another pic

Calling it a night ....

Albert

I assume she means the recession on the tips

Whoa sweet update Kat, I love the second and last pics. Those zoas are sweet as and the last one is a birdsnest yeah? love it.

Kat, I agree with whoever it was tht said it earlier. . Set a date that you are goin to buy an mp10. If you don't see an outrageous deal used by that time, order it new. Usually for the 20-40 bucks you save, the warranty is mostly used up, you never know if it ever had problems or how it was treated, and 99% of the time hobbiest will take the 20 bucks off but not include free shipping, which almost every retailer offers. Not worth the headache IMO. If I could buy a brand new car for 20,000... I'm damn sure not gonna buy a same model used one for 19,500. It's an expensive piece of equipment to buy.

And alto, like ya boots ;)

chippwalters

Though I've had a couple offline discussion of tank aesthetics with Pooja, I thought all of you might enjoy these two great articles on Tank Aesthetics. FWIW, I agree totally with the "less is more" theory and emphasis on clean sand bed– though in early tank setup stages it might be best to acclimate corals on the sand bed to find the best positioning.

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-m...quascaping.html

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-m...g-part-2-a.html

I pretty much agree with what is said. I'm not a strident Golden Rule person, and nothing beats a good 'eye' for proportion, but it sure is a good place to start. And one thing the second article brings out is something the Japanese reefers have been doing for some time now-- that is using the strongest design element known- COLOR- to help scape your tank. I'm more of a tertiary color scheme sort of guy than a complimentary one, but all too often we don't even pay attention to how a corals color can be enhanced with certain local lighting or other colored corals.

As I tell my daughter when she's buying clothes, pick the whole ensemble together, not just a shirt here, pants there and shoes elsewhere. Putting it all together at once creates a stronger design from the start. Objects by themselves, while nice, don't necessarily work aesthetically when placed together.

Another keen point is the focus on LACK of coralline algae growth on the tank sides, which I also agree strongly with. Seeing 'through' the tank creates a larger perception of the area the corals are in-- much like a higher ceiling creates the effect of a larger room.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy these articles as much as I did!

Though I've had a couple offline discussion of tank aesthetics with Pooja, I thought all of you might enjoy these two great articles on Tank Aesthetics. FWIW, I agree totally with the "less is more" theory and emphasis on clean sand bed– though in early tank setup stages it might be best to acclimate corals on the sand bed to find the best positioning.

I pretty much agree with what is said. I'm not a strident Golden Rule person, and nothing beats a good 'eye' for proportion, but it sure is a good place to start. And one thing the second article brings out is something the Japanese reefers have been doing for some time now-- that is using the strongest design element known- COLOR- to help scape your tank. I'm more of a tertiary color scheme sort of guy than a complimentary one, but all too often we don't even pay attention to how a corals color can be enhanced with certain local lighting or other colored corals.

As I tell my daughter when she's buying clothes, pick the whole ensemble together, not just a shirt here, pants there and shoes elsewhere. Putting it all together at once creates a stronger design from the start. Objects by themselves, while nice, don't necessarily work aesthetically when placed together.

Another keen point is the focus on LACK of coralline algae growth on the tank sides, which I also agree strongly with. Seeing 'through' the tank creates a larger perception of the area the corals are in-- much like a higher ceiling creates the effect of a larger room.

I couldn't agree more on those articles! Thanks. I just wish my corals would cooperate on the color! :)

Hey ya there Miss Kat!

albertthiel

Thanks Chipp GREAT articles indeed ...

Hi everyone. I spent the day taking my little niece and nephew to the Maritime Aquarium in CT where my favorite thing to ogle at was the 20 foot tall skimmer and the 10 ft tall fluidized reactor :rolleyes:

IMG_20120623_153411.jpg

Used? Cant you just hold of on buying sexy shoes and buy aNEW one ;)

There are more advantages to new vs. old

You're right, I'll have to think about that.

Whoa sweet update Kat, I love the second and last pics. Those zoas are sweet as and the last one is a birdsnest yeah? love it.

Thank you!!

Yep

Cut off the recessed tissue on the bird, dipped in lugols. Let's see what happens.

Beautiful pics my dear! Love those black suns!!

Call Stevie, I'm sure he'll trade a pair of shoes for an MP10!!!!

Thank you Mark! I'll try that with Stevie, lol.

beautiful photos!!

I am going to steal mr.silly :ninja:

CRABNAPPER! I have 3 of those guys BTW. Here are 2 more:

IMG_20120502_171257.jpg

Kat, I agree with whoever it was tht said it earlier. . Set a date that you are goin to buy an mp10. If you don't see an outrageous deal used by that time, order it new. Usually for the 20-40 bucks you save, the warranty is mostly used up, you never know if it ever had problems or how it was treated, and 99% of the time hobbiest will take the 20 bucks off but not include free shipping, which almost every retailer offers. Not worth the headache IMO.

I'm beginning to think the same Pat. Making an order with DFS, let's see if the vortech makes it on the order too.

Love the pictures kittykat. My fav is the sun coral :wub:

What camera are you using to take pictures with?

Thanks Blue Eyes. It's a Canon rebel XTI with a macro lens.

Thanks for the articles Chipp!

Hey ya there Miss Kat!

Hey Mark! Finally home, time for some vino. Ima head over to your thread now. :)

jedimasterben
CRABNAPPER! I have 3 of those guys BTW. Here are 2 more:

IMG_20120502_171257.jpg

I almost killed one of mine today. I have two that have taken residence in my sebae nem, and are irritating it and preventing it from opening up. I went to scoop one up with the net today and trying to coax him into it using a stick, and he grabbed one of his claws and yanked it off and threw it into the net like "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!!" and flew away. I caught him, though, and threw him onto my mini-maxis, hopefully he'll stay there and let the baby porcelain have the big sebae nem, he doesn't seem to irritate it nearly as much as the big one does.

Ihe grabbed one of his claws and yanked it off and threw it into the net like "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!!" and flew away.

He'll be back. These guys like their spot and don't like to be moved.

One of mine threw down both his big claws and one of his filters too, or maybe there was a fight. Hopeing he grows them back after some molts.

woah. thats a big skimmer. do the crabs reproduce?

I hope they do, but after the pairing you see in that picture I posted they each have a different spot that they like to sit on.

albertthiel

Yes Kat ... please post a better picture of it showing the real coral ...

BTW are the tips still getting larger and staying white or are you starting to see that the flesh is actually growing on it ... Ca++ levels in the tank must be real good as I see a lot of growth on it

Just a suggestion: remember to keep a good eye on your Ca++ levels as with SPS growth the calcium demand can be high and if you have a lot of them it will really put a heavy demand on calcium availability and that can result in a drop that happens sooner than you actually expected it ...

Maybe you have a calcium reactor on there or you used the little trick for a cheap one that I posted on my thread ... to replenish and top off but if you use KW then you should IMO be able to maintain a stable level.

Here is what I am referring to (not the most advanced of course but very inexpensive and easy to add to a sump)

topoff.png

P.S. like that new shoe in your profile pic :)

Edited by albertthiel