Blue Ochtodes

Caulerpa Prolifera

2 Unknown types of red macros

Trochus snail

Dwarf ceriths

Stomatella

2 varieties of halimeda

albertthiel
FWIW, I have never seen any definitive research explaining why micro-bubbles are so harmful. I don't have baffles in my smallish (10 gal) sump and haven't seen any detrimental effects-- but I don't use a skimmer either. I know experienced saltwater reefers who put aerators directly in their lagoons to add more oxygen to the water-- which they say is best for the algae. Some say potato, others say tomato. ;)

If you wish to find out more about the danger of micro bubbles in the water and their effect on fish .. here is one article that a quick search came up with ... and according to the Professor who gave the opinion it can indeed kill your fish ...

http://www.oxyedge-chum.com/diffuser,_oxygen_bubbles.htm

and several Professors are giving their opinion ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
The 700GPH of the Mag 7 is probably the rated throughput of that overflow box. It has a 1" drain, so it makes sense. You don't have to run it at it's recommended rating, however.

:huh: what does that mean in english? Will I cause a flood if I don't use the mag 7 or mag 5 with this over flow box?

Don't forget room for your heater and reactors. I'd stick with LR, chaeto, CUC and leave it at that.

All that is already in the back chambers of my tank and hidden from view and plugged into the built-in electrical unit or controller.

I know reefers that inject oxygen into their tanks, causes all corals to slime but they become better for it according to their description. IMO the bubbles are just annoying to watch.

Yes I need to figure out the pump business.

My crocea clam is up on my rock work and it moves around a lot. Although I think it finally found a spot it likes; hopefully he will stay put. It's pretty amazing how much they can move about. (Don't get me started on the red bubble tip anemone that ran laps around my tank for a month before finding his home.)

Did the jogger kill anything?

:huh: what does that mean in english? Will I cause a flood if I don't use the mag 7 or mag 5 with this over flow box?

All that matters is you dont go too strong. Even a silly powerhead could run your tank/overflow properly. USe the mag 5 or a rio 1700.

Im pretty sure my new eshopps overflow has the same specs as the lifereef. Im running a rio 1700, which is pushing 642 gph at 0 feet and it is pretty much all that it can handle. I would be scared to push 700 through it, and it would be totally unnecassary .

Edited by ZephNYC
Did the jogger kill anything?

Thankfully not, but I did worry while he was doing the wandering gypsy bit. He finally ended up high and in the back of the tank, not exactly my first choice. He is still visible from one side of the tank, so I guess it could be worse:

DSCF5372.jpg

chippwalters
:wacko:

Add chaeto and call it a day? :o

Behold my over stocked 2.5 gallon stand alone macro fuge

IMG_20120620_120618.jpg

What's in it?

Red Grape

Red Titan - 2 varieties

Sargassum

Chaeto

Green Gracilaria

Red Gracilaria

Blue Ochtodes

Caulerpa Prolifera

2 Unknown types of red macros

Trochus snail

Dwarf ceriths

Stomatella

2 varieties of halimeda

Now you're definitely going to have to go for a *separate* Display Fuge or Lagoon tank. What wonderful algaes you have (said the Wolf salivating).

I'm still working on setting up my Lagoon next to my DT. The colors and variety which you show are inspiring!

If you wish to find out more about the danger of micro bubbles in the water and their effect on fish .. here is one article that a quick search came up with ... and according to the Professor who gave the opinion it can indeed kill your fish ...

http://www.oxyedge-chum.com/diffuser,_oxygen_bubbles.htm

and several Professors are giving their opinion ...

Albert

Hi Albert,

I think the critical part of that article is at the start where it says, "When captive fish are forced to breathe in clouds of suspended micro-fine oxygen bubbles so fine the water looks milky.."

I certainly can understand there may be an issue if one has so many micro-fine bubbles that the tank water looks milky. That said, my water is crystal clear, and so, for the most part, are the various oxygen enhanced Lagoons I've seen.

Edited by chippwalters
albertthiel
Hi Albert,

I think the critical part of that article is at the start where it says, "When captive fish are forced to breathe in clouds of suspended micro-fine oxygen bubbles so fine the water looks milky.."

I certainly can understand there may be an issue if one has so many micro-fine bubbles that the tank water looks milky. That said, my water is crystal clear, and so, for the most part, are the various oxygen enhanced Lagoons I've seen.

Not trying to scare anyone with the post and the article ... just pointing out what could happen but if your water is crystal clear then IMHO you do not have micro bubbles in the tank water .. so ... all should be OK.

I have however seen it happen when pumps start caveating and millions of those micro bubbles get into the tank and get into the fish's gills ... but ... not the case for you obviously.

Albert

Thankfully not, but I did worry while he was doing the wandering gypsy bit. He finally ended up high and in the back of the tank, not exactly my first choice. He is still visible from one side of the tank, so I guess it could be worse:

Props, that's a great looking tank! I'm a sucker for pictures that show a lot of dark areas.

Now you're definitely going to have to go for a *separate* Display Fuge or Lagoon tank. What wonderful algaes you have (said the Wolf salivating).

I'm still working on setting up my Lagoon next to my DT. The colors and variety which you show are inspiring!

I'm trying to cut down from the 3 I have to 1, then I will add another just for frags. SHHHH. OMG I can't believe I said that out loud!

I need to come in here more kittykat ;)
here kitty kitty you can come out now :flower:
I thought about doing this just so I can say "Darnit! I have algae in my tank"

Blue eyes, you can't lurk without joining the discussion. I'm still waiting for a picture of fluffy, found her yet?

Great job getting that tank back in shape. Impressive

Albert

Thanks Albert! What a nice compliment.

I'm now absolutely hooked on reef tanking, just for the record. And thanks to people like you and all the forum members here for helping those of us new to the hobby find our way. I couldn't have turned that tank around without the information on this forum.

albertthiel
Thanks Albert! What a nice compliment.

I'm now absolutely hooked on reef tanking, just for the record. And thanks to people like you and all the forum members here for helping those of us new to the hobby find our way. I couldn't have turned that tank around without the information on this forum.

You are most welcome and should you have any specific questions go to the link for the thread in my sig and I'll gladly answer whatever questions you may have or ask the questions here in this thread and you will answers as well .... Happy reef keeping now that you are hooked ... (like we are)

Albert

altolamprologus
You would ?? I think I love you...

Well I love you because of your batfish and seahorses and epic bettas so it works out ;)

Kat's noo shooz.

ENPXb.jpg

Holy ####! That is insane! I would hurt myself! I need to walk in the lounge with those actually. Muhahahah.

Holy crap I would totally wear those

That's ballsy!!!

You would ?? I think I love you...
Well I love you because of your batfish and seahorses and epic bettas so it works out ;)

:rolleyes:

About time you guys fell in love. But I'm going to marry Alto, especially if she's ballsy enough to wear those shoes! so Zeph, take a number.

Alto, you looked exactly like how I pictured you. Like, creepily similar. I don't think I could picture you in those shoes :P

Wait! what did I miss?

Alto was SUPER BALLSY and posted a pic of herself in the lounge.

Is it weird that I guess what everyone on here looks like depending in the stuff they say?

altolamprologus
Alto, you looked exactly like how I pictured you. Like, creepily similar. I don't think I could picture you in those shoes :P

Lol I actually don't look that normal on most days. That pic was taken the day of my high school graduation so I was a bit dressed up. Right now my hair is black and red, I have on black eyeliner, and my shirt is a black and white striped tube top. I could rock those shoes no problem

Alto was SUPER BALLSY and posted a pic of herself in the lounge.

Is it weird that I guess what everyone on here looks like depending in the stuff they say?

No I do that too. I pictured Kat as a blonde haired model lol

:o oh my! I need a link.

Bottom of the page http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...5249&st=120

edit damn I'm slow

Edited by altolamprologus