Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Rescue!

Propaganda

I have long been fascinated by saltwater reef tanks, but had never really seriously considered owning one until about 6 weeks ago. A friend of mine got a new job several states away and she decided to sell her reef tank. The price was simply too good to pass up and so I found myself the new owner of a slightly neglected tank. (My friend admits this - the last year has been exceptionally hectic for her.)

Here are a few photos of the tank about a month or two before the move to my house:

462494_3472728933564_1131361070_3417593_994104190_o.jpg

324982_2853062762297_1474309221_o.jpg

Things were pretty overrun with algae.

The day of the move. Everything showed up in rubbermaid containers... with a lot of algae:

DSCF4561.jpg

DSCF4544.jpg

It was a lovely mess:

DSCF4557.jpg

I removed what algae I could, tore off massive amounts. After a few hard hours we got everything back in the tank:

DSCF4578.jpg

Despite my best efforts, there was still a lot of hair algae on practically everything:

DSCF4628.jpg

DSCF4670.jpg

The CUC was pretty small when I got the tank, so my first order of business was to buy a good number of snails and hermit crabs to start working on that algae. Started a strict regiment of water changes and let the tank stabilize. I have since added a few new corals and a clam; all are doing well.

Six weeks after the move, the tank is looking much better!

DSCF5355.jpg

DSCF5298.jpg

DSCF5333.jpg

DSCF5372.jpg

DSCF5276.jpg

Full Tank Shot:

DSCF5214.jpg

That is a dang good clean up job especially for being a first time tank. It is looking really good and I imagine it will continue to grow and mature. Oh and welcome.

Thank you for all the kind comments. The tank has been a success because of the valuable information I have found on this forum. This is such a valuable resource - so thank you to all who have provided such great information and advice.

I guess I should talk about the tank a bit. It is a JBJ 28 gallon LED Pro. Very nice tank, I like it very much. I will follow up with a livestock list soon. Still have a few inhabitants I am trying to identify! ;)

:happydance: this is awesome! I have never seen anyone take a tank that far gone and turn it around like you did. Nice job, Looks really good.
Subscribed! Tank looks great, amazing what a little TLC can do!

just like wheeler dealers on bbc :P

NICE WORK ON TANK!

• 2 years later...

Hi all, thought I'd update this thread with a current full tank shot. Tank is doing great, lost the toadstool about a year ago, but other than that, things are doing great!

reef_tank.jpg

It is a crocea clam, but yeah, it is doing great - growing every day! Sea anemone has since split into three parts that are still massive. I need to get a more recent shot (the one above is from about a month ago).

I have recently been thinking about a 120 or 160 gallon tank for our office - but we have remodeling to do in that room before I seriously consider putting in a tank. But I have decided for my next tank, I want to go BIG! The softies have been great fun in this tank, but I don't want another tank with any pulsing Xenia. They are lovely in this tank and a real crowd pleaser, but I will be damned if either Xenia or Green Star Polyps make it into any other tank I ever own. That being said, they came with this tank and are cool in their own right... but never again.

The tank still looks wonderful. The trick to invasive corals like GSP is keep it isolated from everything else. Islands in the sand bed works.

And remember, big tank equals big water changes.

When you receive a notification that someone liked your reply that you don't remember making and you can't even understand what your own reply means.

It's nice to see that someone can maintain and grow a tank so well... And nice job on keeping the clam safe from the anemone. I'm baffled by how they're so close and the clam isn't dead...

The xenia is amaze in this tank omg *fangirls*

Euphyllia, keeping the anemone away from the clam has been pretty easy. We did go through a short period where the anemone would reach over and tickle the clam, which the clam did find annoying. Rearranging the rockwork between them helped solve that problem. When the anemone split (we now have three) only one stayed up top near the clam. This anemone is smaller and it is a bit of an easier job. I find a few well placed pieces of rock is generally all it takes to keep peace in the neighborhood.

The more continual job is plucking the encroaching Xenia away from the clam - they don't bother him, but do start shading him. That being said, clam is always very pretty resting in a bed of Xenia!

Archived