Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Like this?

DSC_0247-Foal-13x18.jpg

I only used when I had a roaming anemone. (a bubble tip, it just disappeared. :( ) otherwise they just trap crap and it's one more thing you need to clean out.

:)

I'm concerned if I put Lorax, the YCG, in there, he's going to get into the Mag5 and be fresh food for everybody.

jedimasterben

I'm concerned if I put Lorax, the YCG, in there, he's going to get into the Mag5 and be fresh food for everybody.

Do you not have bubble traps?

They're working great so far! I hope fish don't get sucked in. Does anyone use the foal cover that comes with them?

The fish should be alright, unless they're sick and weak. I was thinking more like books, pets, friends..anything standing near the tank! :huh:

"Hey cool tank."

"Wait, dont get too close..."

(ssshwoosh!) ...in they go... :P

Edited by mike c
The fish should be alright, unless they're sick and weak. I was thinking more like books, pets, friends..anything standing near the tank! :huh:

:lol: My cat did look like he was getting pulled sideways.

I've been playing with the sump, added the fan that was over the tank to it and closed the feeder flap of the tank for the first time in over 2 months! :)

Added more macros from the fuge. WAs thinking about all the stuff I want to transfer over from the display to here.

Need to move Humpty (my enormous bi-valve) who is covered with halimeda and also xenia and maybe some others.

Maybe one or two of the gorgonians.

The green tree leather

Some of the GSP

My lone and unhappy Florida riccordea

Maybe the Yuma

KEnya tree

Perhaps the open brain!

Frag rack also

wow

Hey Kat!!! Heres the pics I promised

079.jpg

076.jpg

You can see the water is high enough to just touch the tab

077.jpg

078.jpg

This is the strip that locates original skimmer (for a depth reference)

albertthiel

Don't you love those autocorrect features?

:lol: My cat did look like he was getting pulled sideways.

I've been playing with the sump, added the fan that was over the tank to it and closed the feeder flap of the tank for the first time in over 2 months! :)

Added more macros from the fuge. WAs thinking about all the stuff I want to transfer over from the display to here.

Need to move Humpty (my enormous bi-valve) who is covered with halimeda and also xenia and maybe some others.

Maybe one or two of the gorgonians.

The green tree leather

Some of the GSP

My lone and unhappy Florida riccordea

Maybe the Yuma

KEnya tree

Perhaps the open brain!

Frag rack also

wow

Wow indeed Kat, seems like you have a lot of work to do. I gather this is all in the larger tank you have since I remember you combined two of your tanks into 1 right?

Wow indeed Kat, seems like you have a lot of work to do. I gather this is all in the larger tank you have since I remember you combined two of your tanks into 1 right?

I had 3 active tanks back in January, when I retured my BioCube and then only had the pico and this tank. I retured the Pico on Saturday so I only have this tank now. (Well I still have a small macro fuge but it's just holding the macros for the moment). All the items I listed are in my DT (display tank), they're on the floor and they need to be moved to the sump since the fuge in the sump is a display fuge.

Kat just use eggcrate or plastic canvis over your baffel slots. To keep things out of there.

also dont forget to help update my old sump thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=286297

Lots of great sumps in there, may give you some ideas.

Thanks J, will do.

Hey Kat!!! Heres the pics I promised

Thanks a ton Jessy-Ray. Yeah I have to get used to a high water level.

Do you run a media basket in the back?

Thanks a ton Jessy-Ray. Yeah I have to get used to a high water level.

Do you run a media basket in the back?

To easy Kat, I sure do you can see the corner of it (1000% out of focus) in the lower right hand of the last pic. I totally agree about trying to raise the return pump to reduce the amount pumped into the tank in case of an over flow blockage. I would much rather run a pump dry and possibly damage it than flood my house

Spirofucci

Hey Kat great job on the sump, sorry I missed the little bit of drama!!!! :) The sump is beautiful and so clean looking.

Is the water level in the back chambers still driving you crazy?

I recently switched to Marineland blue filter pads. They are thinner and not no tightly knit so the water flows much better through them.

Since you have a lot of macro algae, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the chemical compounds they release are interfering with the Ricordias' health and vigor.

I wonder if I'm seeing problems with my acans b/c of natural chemicals, too. Maybe I need to cut back on the coral.

Hey Kat great job on the sump, sorry I missed the little bit of drama!!!! :) The sump is beautiful and so clean looking.

Is the water level in the back chambers still driving you crazy?

I recently switched to Marineland blue filter pads. They are thinner and not no tightly knit so the water flows much better through them.

It's called Kat-citement Mark. :P Never a dull day in this reef tank.

YES! The level is driving me crazy and I have always used marineland blue filter pads. I recently ordered Stevie T's but have yet to use them.

Jeff over at LifeReefs had me remove everything from the media basket, which I did and the flow did improve, the water level in the tank went down somewhat so I am able to breathe now. So I put back the filter pad, but the CPE and the Purigen went into the sump. IF you recall, this is not what I wanted to do. So I am really pissed off at this.

Other than that I am re-thinking a lot of things with this sump and have some re-do's or modifications in mind. I will wait on that for now however.

A visit to Petco resulted in some staring at their saltwater tanks. They had the cutest trio of black and white O clownfish! One was a mis bar.

They also had a pair of 1.5inch picasso clowns. :o

But I can't seem to find a cat spoon anywhere. You know, the spoon you use to scoop out canned food, has a special shape to it to get every sliver of food from the can?

Edited by metrokat
albertthiel
It's called Kat-citement Mark. :P Never a dull day in this reef tank.

YES! The level is driving me crazy and I have always used marineland blue filter pads. I recently ordered Stevie T's but have yet to use them.

Jeff over at LifeReefs had me remove everything from the media basket, which I did and the flow did improve, the water level in the tank went down somewhat so I am able to breathe now. So I put back the filter pad, but the CPE and the Purigen went into the sump. IF you recall, this is not what I wanted to do. So I am really pissed off at this.

Other than that I am re-thinking a lot of things with this sump and have some re-do's or modifications in mind. I will wait on that for now however.

Sorry to read all the trouble you are going through setting up the sump and getting the water levels to be where you want them to be. I know what you are going through ... I have a sump ready but the tank is not drilled and I have not figured out yet how to ensure that I can avoid overflows in either the tank or the sump if the down and up flows are not regulated correctly .. I may have to take the 20G down and drill it and then after it dries put everything back in ... not sure yet ... I just don't trust those HOB overflows all that much as I have read about too many mishaps with them but I am not sure about all the improvements that have been made in the last couple of years on HOB's for non drilled tanks, so I am still looking around.

I believe you have the Lifereef one and I have been looking at that one but reading about your issues with adjustments I am wondering whether that is the best way for me to go ... so I'll be following how you get along with the set up before making a decision ...

Good Katsumpingcitement ....

Albert

I have a sump ready but the tank is not drilled and I have not figured out yet how to ensure that I can avoid overflows in either the tank or the sump if the down and up flows are not regulated correctly .. I may have to take the 20G down and drill it and then after it dries put everything back in ... not sure yet ... I just don't trust those HOB overflows all that much as I have read about too many mishaps with them but I am not sure about all the improvements that have been made in the last couple of years on HOB's for non drilled tanks, so I am still looking around.

Albert, you have 2 concerns I think:

1. Safety of the HOB overflows

2. Water level adjustment

With safety, I trust lifereef implicitly, I spent over 3 months researching branded overflows and posted on forums before I made my purchase. In fact I spoke to Lifereef several times before trusting them with my business. You might want to google them.

Water level adjustment is something you will have to work with regardless of the type of overflow you use, drilled or HOB. The flow rate for overflows is different, the pumps used are different, the head loss for each setup is different making each sump different and unique.

IMO there is no getting around the tweaking needed to get the water flow the way you want it. The only question that remains is your comfort level with HOB overflow.

Also, as a side note, my water level issues are unique to the make of my tank, which has rear chambers separate from the display.

A visit to Petco resulted in some staring at their saltwater tanks. They had the cutest trio of black and white O clownfish! One was a mis bar.

They also had a pair of 1.5inch picasso clowns. :o

But I can't seem to find a cat spoon anywhere. You know, the spoon you use to scoop out canned food, has a special shape to it to get every sliver of food from the can?

Seriously? Tell that cat to get a spork!

So how does the HOB overflow work? Water goes in it down to the sump and a pump sends it back up from the sump. You say there are fail safes in place can you explain? What happens when filter media gets clogged and the tank doesn't drain quick enough? Will your tank hold all the water in the sump? I know your sump will hold the tank run off but have you thought about it in reverse? I know when my media rack floss gets clogged the water overflows the media basket which goes into the sump.

My tank is drilled and I have a media tower sitting in my sump I should add.

So how does the HOB overflow work? Water goes in it down to the sump and a pump sends it back up from the sump. You say there are fail safes in place can you explain? What happens when filter media gets clogged and the tank doesn't drain quick enough? Will your tank hold all the water in the sump? I know your sump will hold the tank run off but have you thought about it in reverse? I know when my media rack floss gets clogged the water overflows the media basket which goes into the sump.

My tank is drilled and I have a media tower sitting in my sump I should add.

My sump is only filled 50%. With tall baffles in place, the water volume present in the mag chamber that would get pumped into the tank if the overflow stopped working is enough to overflow to about 1 gallon on the floor.

As I mentioned, I am researching to see if I can raise the inlet of the pump to where it will run dry well before the 1 gallon has a chance to hit my floor.

I would like to use most of the volume of my sump but realistically, I suppose I am resigned to using it to half its capacity.

A better question is, if the water level in the mag chanmer drops, if the overflow stops working, mag chamber water runs out fast into the tank, how fast will my ATO fill it up again and end up on the floor again.

The answer to that is using a toms aqualifter. I'm okay with a trickle.

Hmmmm I would try to figure the 1 gallon that could end up on the floor out. The ATO is pretty simple I wouldn't put more than 1/2 gallon in the jug. I have always done this in just to be safe for a salinity drop. I have a 10 gallon sump and I only have 5 gallons in it. Then if the ATO would fail 1/2 gallon goes in the sump tops 1 gallon. Then 2 gallons of run off from the tank gives me 8 gallons total in a 10 gallon sump. The wifey would not be happy with water on her espresso colored hardwood floors.

Sorry so many questions but I have another. :)

What happens when the filter pad before the overflow gets clogged does that stop the siphon to the overflow?

albertthiel
Albert, you have 2 concerns I think:

1. Safety of the HOB overflows

2. Water level adjustment

With safety, I trust lifereef implicitly, I spent over 3 months researching branded overflows and posted on forums before I made my purchase. In fact I spoke to Lifereef several times before trusting them with my business. You might want to google them.

Water level adjustment is something you will have to work with regardless of the type of overflow you use, drilled or HOB. The flow rate for overflows is different, the pumps used are different, the head loss for each setup is different making each sump different and unique.

IMO there is no getting around the tweaking needed to get the water flow the way you want it. The only question that remains is your comfort level with HOB overflow.

Also, as a side note, my water level issues are unique to the make of my tank, which has rear chambers separate from the display.

Kat my concerns are not with drilled tanks as I have plenty of experience with those, I used to drill them myself and install them and sell them etc ... remember :-)

What my issue is as you correctly pointed out is what HOB overflows and the concerns that you outlined with water flow down and up, syphon integrity and automatic restarting of it even if there is a power failure and the syphon breaks due to the water level in the tank becoming too low ...

Those are the issues I am dealing with .... I will probably end up drilling the 20 and playing it safe as if the tank is drilled and has a corner overflow box (or even one in the middle back of the tank) then I have no issues whatsoever with integrity and being sure there will be no water spills as only so much can come down as goes up and only so much can go up as flows down.

But I do appreciate your outlining what you think my concurs were ... Remember though that I am intricately familiar with building tanks and sumps, and also that we used to sell our own, make both, including fugues, build and sell reactors and all kinds of other equipment to automate tanks LONG before anyone else was .. the Pinpoint and other manufacturers all got into the automation business after we did :-) ...

But thanks Kat for all the info you provide, even if I am aware of most of it if not all of it, it can still be helpful to others for sure .... so thanks

Albert

Sorry so many questions but I have another. :)

What happens when the filter pad before the overflow gets clogged does that stop the siphon to the overflow?

I appreciate the questions, this is my first sump and you are helping me learn about as I answer your questions.

I don't have a filter pad before the overflow. If you mean Stevie T's media basket, looks like I may not be able to use it which means there will be nothing obstructing the flow of water.

The LifeReef overflow is guaranteed never to loose siphon. And will start siphon every time after a power failure. I have tested this myself.

Kat my concerns are not with drilled tanks as I have plenty of experience with those,

What my issue is as you correctly pointed out is what HOB overflows and the concerns that you outlined with water flow down and up, syphon integrity and automatic restarting of it even if there is a power failure and the syphon breaks due to the water level in the tank becoming too low ...

Those are the issues I am dealing with .

Yes Albert, and those are what I hoped you found answers for from me. I have no experience with drilled so naturally I cannot comment on those. My comments were directed at HOB, glad you found them useful.

Mr. Anderson calls me a fish nerd. Well, I'm proving him right. Lately my spot to have my glass of wine is in front of my new sump!

IMG_20120709_204746.jpg

Moved lots of animals over from the DT to here. In this picture, Humpty the enormous bi-valve with his Pulsing Xenia Hat and Halimeda beard (and a smaller bi-valve peeking from below). My next largest bi-valve is to Humpty's left, and then further left is a little rock with orange shrooms and Bam Bams. The branchy thing in the back is the gorgonian

IMG_20120709_204857.jpg

Crappy phone picture of the left side of the fuge.

IMG_20120709_205009.jpg

I :wub: my reef tank system. 15.gif

In other news, Zeph ate my chromis for snack. It was like Hansel and Gretel. The witch feeds the wee ones till they are nice and fat so she can have a big meal. 68.gif

Edited by metrokat