SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I think I might give Mama Tailes cheesecake recipe a shot. TS has a birthday on Monday.

He also really likes Tiramisu. There aren't too many commercial ones I like, far too much cream, not enough lady fingers with coffee. So if I were to make my own, what do they use for the coffee? Is it a liquor or ahould I just pour in sweetened espresso?

• Like 2
Paandemonium

You ate back anything you lost running 2 miles haha

At least I didnt sit on my butt all day watching tv and then eat the cheesecake lol I was fair in my habits lol

• Like 2
Dr.Brain Coral

At least I didnt sit on my butt all day watching tv and then eat the cheesecake lol I was fair in my habits lol

Very true.

I think I might give Mama Tailes cheesecake recipe a shot.

I am going to one of these days also. Maybe for the family reunion tommorow.

Which is the source of the widely held myth and that myth is the reason there was a scientific study done to evaluate the claims. If you'd like antedoal evidence instead of scientific, I run phosphoguard and have a leather and it is healthy and happy...

I credit Phosguard with pushing me away from some of the reefing BS I was reading. I decided to use it regardless of what I was being warned about and it worked, and worked well. I have it in both tanks, including my 29 with plenty of leathers and softies with no adverse effects.

I think Tibsy posted a link in his thread to the skeptical reef keeper blog. Great read.

• Like 2

Julian Sprung. The reef aquarium: Science, art and technology. Volume 3.

Aluminum based Phosphate adsorption media:

" although these types of media are effective, it has been documented that they can cause problems with soft corals, particularly sarcophyton spp. Although the reason has never been identified, it is speculated that an increase in dissolved aluminum is the cause ( Holmes- Farley, 2003)

The chemical media with the highest capacity for adsorbing phosphates are made from oxides and hydroxides of ferric iron. Once the phosphate is absorbed it is tightly bound to the surface and will not be released."

Julian Sprung. The reef aquarium: Science, art and technology. Volume 3.

Aluminum based Phosphate adsorption media:

" although these types of media are effective, it has been documented that they can cause problems with soft corals, particularly sarcophyton spp. Although the reason has never been identified, it is speculated that an increase in dissolved aluminum is the cause ( Holmes- Farley, 2003)

The chemical media with the highest capacity for adsorbing phosphates are made from oxides and hydroxides of ferric iron. Once the phosphate is absorbed it is tightly bound to the surface and will not be released."

All good, smart, honest people, but in the end there are only a few sources quotng each other. I had a leather, sarcophyton, in my 20 and then 46 for almost 6 months before giving it away. It never showed any adverse reaction to phosguard. So what, it's just an observation, but now Veng and I are two observations and all we need is some respected hobbiest to mention it an all the phosguard fears will be put to rest. :)

• Like 1

All good, smart, honest people, but in the end there are only a few sources quotng each other. I had a leather, sarcophyton, in my 20 and then 46 for almost 6 months before giving it away. It never showed any adverse reaction to phosguard. So what, it's just an observation, but now Veng and I are two observations and all we need is some respected hobbiest to mention it an all the phosguard fears will be put to rest. :)

We could just write books and quote each other... :lol:
  • Like 1

From Seachem (they make phosguard)

Aluminum Oxide, Soluble Aluminum, and Coral Toxicity

In recent years, there has been speculation that aluminum oxide based phosphate removers like PhosGuard™ release aluminum into the water and subsequently damage corals. The evidence to support this claim was largely anecdotal.

So, through a series of controlled experiments in both freshwater and saltwater, we intended to address both the question of aluminum solubility and aluminum toxicity. The results of these experiments show that under reef conditions (pH near 8) there is no detectable soluble aluminum released from alumina. Under conditions of low pH and high dosage levels, soluble aluminum can be released from alumina; at three times the label dosage rate, we detected 0.2 mg/L aluminum at a pH of 5.3.

Additionally, aluminum oxide is not easily absorbed into the cell to cause negative reactions. Even at three times the dose of PhosGuard™, soft-bodied corals such as Sarcophyton remain unaffected.

For the full report on this study, click here.

• Like 1

Ate a fat slice of cheesecake today after running two miles.... I aint even mad

I ate like half a tub of ice cream and didn't run anything today. Delicious.

• Like 1
Paandemonium

I look at cake for too long and gain 10 pounds so yeah lol gotta run

• Like 1
:lol: it is delicious, but I'll let your corals tell you that.

I look at cake for too long and gain 10 pounds so yeah lol gotta run

I just burned 547 calories. Then I ate it all back in a smoothie.

1cup fat free yogurt

2tblsp peanut butter with chia seeds and flax

1 tblsp honey

1/2 banana

2 tblsp instant coffee

Water.

Hello yummy.

• Like 2

LOL,

there's a spoon in there? I haven't touched the packet yet. I did mix 1/2 teaspoon of this with 1/2 teaspoon of Reef Roids and made a ball of clay. Won't be doing that again.