SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I can tell you that is a garden hose electronic timer they are using. That is about all the help I am.
Zeph lent me a book to read: Book of Coral Propagation by Anthony Calfo. In it they have a picture of decapsulated artemia eggs in a doser.

20140803_132548.jpg

I've been wanting to drip decapped eggs into my tank for the longest time. I tried a gravity drip but it would get clogged. Any ideas on how I could do this on the cheap?

There is no detail about the doser pictured above in the book but you can see an airline in it. It is stirring up the eggs like a normal hatching setup does so this could possibly prevent the gravity doser from clogging.

I know where to get them, forgot the price. I'll check after the gym.

MyJasmineRose

Hey Kat are those the pods you use for your mandy? I have them set up to culture because everyone I talked to said they were great but saw a few arguments yesterday that they're worthless for mandarins since they stay in the water column.

Hey Kat are those the pods you use for your mandy? I have them set up to culture because everyone I talked to said they were great but saw a few arguments yesterday that they're worthless for mandarins since they stay in the water column.

Tiger pods are not worthless! But they do get eaten rather quick because they don't hide very well, and they move around in that jerky motion which is basically a

bullseye2.jpg

With any pods, it is best to add them after dark to give them a chance to hide somewhere.

This shipment is for everybody, but yes I hope Sam enjoys them the most.

• Like 1

Kat do you recall how you acclimated your setosa? I bleached my ora frag and died. I'm picking up another one and im trying to not instantly kill it lke all my montis

Kat do you recall how you acclimated your setosa? I bleached my ora frag and died. I'm picking up another one and im trying to not instantly kill it lke all my montis

Same as all my corals. Temp acclimate in bag. Then put in container and pour in a little tank water after brief intervals. At that time I also add in whatever dips I am using (usually Melafix marine). Swirl, swish. Boom done.

Kat if I tried a manderin in my 40 b, I'm sure I would need a nearly constant supply of live pods, and I'm not going to culture them. What species and brand name shelf item do u recommend? Hopefully it would learn to like frozen mysis like my old one did.

Thanks Kat. I've been having trouble keeping montis alive. Only digidata have been doing good. Every cap and the setosa have bleached and died over the course of a week.

It really can't be parameters can't it? My acro frag and digis are just fine.

Kat if I tried a manderin in my 40 b, I'm sure I would need a nearly constant supply of live pods, and I'm not going to culture them. What species and brand name shelf item do u recommend? Hopefully it would learn to like frozen mysis like my old one did.

With the fishmates it would have in your 40B, might be wise to get a really big fish or one that is already eating prepared foods. Sam was outcompeted for food everyday with the 6line, clowns, cleaner shrimps, damsel and Blenny.

Tisbe pods are what they love most. I buy all varieties including cultures from hobbyists but Algagen is a good brand.

I also buy a shipment of pods from getyourpods.com about every month or so. This is mostly amphipods but it is a healthy treat for everybody.

As for a culture, the best method for anybody is just to have a small macro tank, a pico even, with no fish. Add your starter cultures of whatever pods and leave them to grow for 3 months. put a bunch of rubble rocks together in netting to make a pod hotel. You harvest by pulling the hotel from the macro tank to your mandarin tank. Rotate between 2 hotels.

Thanks Kat. I've been having trouble keeping montis alive. Only digidata have been doing good. Every cap and the setosa have bleached and died over the course of a week.

It really can't be parameters can't it? My acro frag and digis are just fine.

What about light?

• Like 3

Kat I don't remember if I've asked...but what bulbs are you using?? Im adding more t5 to my fixture and would like to see what others are running. I'm running a blue+ and coral+

When I finish the canopy and retrofit I plan on 3 blue+ 1 purple+ 1 Actinic and 1 aquablue special

Kat I don't remember if I've asked...but what bulbs are you using?? Im adding more t5 to my fixture and would like to see what others are running. I'm running a blue+ and coral+ When I finish the canopy and retrofit I plan on 3 blue+ 1 purple+ 1 Actinic and 1 aquablue special

2 Blue+

Coral +

Actinic

Before I had 2 Blue+ 1 Coral+ 1 GE 6500

• Like 1
Paandemonium

I think everyone hates Google+ because it gets forced down everyone's throat

I'll make sure you let you know I'm in town, nothing better than hanging out with thee Metrokitty

• Like 1

Mebbe I should update this thread with tank news.

Did a couple of gallons of water change this evening. Siphoned the sandbed, such a dirty tank.

I've been re-arranging the rocks in the fuge, I think I have too many rocks in there but with flatworms and an obvious algae haven, it's not very pretty so the rocks stay. Blue the crocea is in there, she doesn't like it when I keep moving her around but she's getting lots of organics and light where she is.

I'm supposed to ship a box of critters to Benny. If he doesn't take it I'm unfriending him. :angry:

I put a kitty cup in front of the fuge so Bogi the cat can watch Sam the Mandarin as he cruises around. Speaking of Sam, he has been in the fuge for 2+ weeks, maybe 3 (I've lost track). He's still super skinny but he has plenty to eat in there and is still alive. It's a sad day when all I can say about my fish is that he is alive. I wish I could get him healthier but he just doesn't behave. I supplement feed him with his favorite potato chips: frozen spirulina brine shrimp. He gobbles up several bites and then swims off. :angry:

The subulata has been getting bigger and bigger, with a wider spread of branches. I like the shape it has now.

Zoanthids are doing better. More light combined with more flow and Vitamin C dosing is working.

Still need to glue down so many zoanthids, after I ship Benny or unfriend Benny, I'll stop being lazy and glue stuff down.

My trial jar of phosguard arrived. Need some hand holding. Throw a bunch in a bag and stick it in the filter sock is the idea. And then the IM reactor will just have carbon.

Re-charged the purigen. Time to throw those bags in as well. Hey what if I tumbled purigen in the reactor?

• Like 3
2 Blue+

Coral +

Actinic

Before I had 2 Blue+ 1 Coral+ 1 GE 6500

Thanks Kat. That sounds like a good bulb combo for a hybrid. Do you find it a little too blue?? What would you say it looks like spectrum wise?

Thanks Kat. That sounds like a good bulb combo for a hybrid. Do you find it a little too blue?? What would you say it looks like spectrum wise?

No it isn't too blue. I keep my LED's towards more white and it all balances out.

• Like 1