ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Paandemonium

She speaks? I thought she just looked hot in a swimsuit. :lol:

Oh it's been published? Where did you see it?

She speaks too, sounds hella cute lol it's the eyes that get me.

Marine depot had it on their YouTube :)

Is that a video about your tank?

it is.

Edit. It's my tank yes, but it's a review of the Cubey tank that marine depot sent me.

She speaks too, sounds hella cute lol it's the eyes that get me.

Marine depot had it on their YouTube :)

I guess they're rolling it out today. Probably will see a thread on it soon too.

NirvanaandTool

Kat's in my email. Both of my emails. For some reason I signed both of my main emails up for MD updates :blush:

I'll even watch it at some point today. Youtube is blocked at work so gotta watch it on my phone

• Like 2

A few weeks ago I had my water tested at a lab and it came back with a copper level of 0.05 mg/l with a notation that said "high". I threw in a spoon of cuprisorb in a bag into the filter sock since then.

I've been concerned about the copper so I emailed Poly-Filter to ask, specifically, if their product would reduce my level of copper. They wanted to know how the copper level was tested and went into specifics of testing methods. I sent an email to the lab asking for information on how the copper is tested.

Back to poly-filter: After a lengthy email or two with toxicology reports and studied/data attached, they replied specifically.

our standard aquarium Poly-Filter ® will sorb trace copper between 0.030 - 0.040 mg/L showing coloration at 0.050 mg/L.
As the copper concentrates in the Poly-Filter ® coloration becomes more intense. One Poly-Filter ® size: 12" x 12" will sorb and retain over 5000 milligrams of copper plus sulfates and/or chelator's. Remember corals, invertebrates and fish all need trace copper to remain healthy. Corals obviously are very susceptible to elevated copper concentrations. Synthetic marine salts all contain at least 0.020 mg/L of copper as a impurity from other chemical components. Actually the ASTM formula for synthetic saltwater shows copper concentration of 0.030 - 0.040 mg/L

We have seen claims made by " Pet Manufacturers" that they make ACS Grade synthetic salt mixes that contain less than 0.01 mg/L copper but these statements are pure advertising hype without merit. If these companies made marine salt using all ACS Grade Reagents the product would cost several hundred dollars for a 378.5 liter mix !
The source of the 0.050 mg/L copper is the major concern.
If you are using R/O + DI water filtration
then the mixed bed resins could be low grade (import) resins. The other major problem that we encounter is the coral additives used in reef aquaria. Many of these additive solutions contain impurities i.e. copper,iron,lead, mercury or cadmium. Filtration via Poly-Filter ® will adsorb the heavy metals but your ultimate goal should be to reduce the source of the contaminate. We recommend that the synthetic salt mixture be tested after hydration in ultra pure water.

In the meantime, the lab also got back to me.

Additionally, we are working to amend the "acceptable" levels for the parameters we test for. A copper level of 0.05ppm is typically not something that would cause problems in home aquaria.

So what am I to believe; that the 0.05mg/l is of concern or not of concern?

• Like 1

Tarte the Urchin has gone to town on the caulerpa that was pissing me off. The area that was covered for the past 2 years is clean. I would kiss her except she's spikey and probably smells fishy. I also saw her on a patch of GHA+bryopsis. That patch hasn't been chewed off completely but she did work on it some. All in all the tank has considerably less unwanted algae than before. Even my frag rack looks cleaned out.

The fuge has once more exploded with flatworms. Ever since I threw on the CFL light, these guys are loving life and have become larger and have coated every green macro and some red as well. Bastards. I am travelling for a week so I'm going to try to siphon them tomorrow before the water change.

Sam looks skinnier again. I supplement feed his favorite foods and I see him eating the pods. Wish he would develop a taste for flatworms.

The light has been suspended from the ceiling! I'm not sure I like it though. :huh:

The attachment points need adjustment so the wires aren't making a V shape. I'll work on it when I'm back from my trip.

Zoanthids have been doing much better with added light, added flow and Vitamin C dosing.

download_20140815_084756.jpeg

• Like 4

Where is all that copper coming from?

I've read on the boards that zoas will open up more in higher flow

Oh what happened to the blue velvet nudis? Did they get chopped up by the pumps?

jedimasterben

Oh what happened to the blue velvet nudis? Did they get chopped up by the pumps?

Copper comes from pretty much every food put in the tank, but in tiny numbers so it is not detrimental. She still doesn't believe me when I tell her that plain activated carbon adsorbs copper very effectively.
  • Like 1

Copper comes from pretty much every food put in the tank, but in tiny numbers so it is not detrimental. She still doesn't believe me when I tell her that plain activated carbon adsorbs copper very effectively.

I mean, apparently it absorbs iodine really well, so I don't know why it wouldn't work on copper.

Kat doesn't run carbon?

jedimasterben

I mean, apparently it absorbs iodine really well, so I don't know why it wouldn't work on copper.

Kat doesn't run carbon?

She does. There are specific types of copper compounds that are removed, and those are the most toxic. The rest, not so much. And she's even got a reactor for carbon.
  • Like 1

I don't know the source of the copper, likely is food. Could be my tap, but I don't have a test kit.

Higher flow does seem to have worked. I hope it stays that way.

They disappear in a couple of days each time I get them. There are no powerheads in the fuge to chop them up. The flow is gentle, hardly anything moves. It could be that they need a slower acclimation that I perform. However Zeph acclimates for a lot longer than I do and his perish also.

Kat doesn't run carbon?

I do run carbon. I have to clean out my reactor, maybe it's clogged or not working too well.

I don't know the source of the copper, likely is food. Could be my tap, but I don't have a test kit.

Higher flow does seem to have worked. I hope it stays that way.

They disappear in a couple of days each time I get them. There are no powerheads in the fuge to chop them up. The flow is gentle, hardly anything moves. It could be that they need a slower acclimation that I perform. However Zeph acclimates for a lot longer than I do and his perish also.

I do run carbon. I have to clean out my reactor, maybe it's clogged or not working too well.

I've acclimated them for two hours, and watched them melt within hours of being in my tank. No clue why.

Hello from 30,000 ft in the air, off to Vegas.

I've been watching a slender arm or two of a very cute starfish in my fuge. I had ordered micro brittle stars last year and I thought they were all dead, I guess one survived. I've been looking for more, hope John Maloney gets some soon. Looks like the picture below, arms are the diameter of a pin.

:wub:

IM005958mbrittlestar2.jpg

• Like 3

Vegas baby! Vegas!!

Hows it going chica? Sorry I haven't been around to annoy you as of late. I'm a tour guide now and have been living in the desert for the last few months.

Haven't read everything all the way up to this point. Looks like you're trying to get rid of the fuge flatworms finally? I've seen Velvets in stores before but I've never tried one myself. Isn't your fuge full of monsters? Think one of those coulda killed him/them?

Wish I had baby stars.

• Like 1

Hello from 30,000 ft in the air, off to Vegas.

I've been watching a slender arm or two of a very cute starfish in my fuge. I had ordered micro brittle stars last year and I thought they were all dead, I guess one survived. I've been looking for more, hope John Maloney gets some soon. Looks like the picture below, arms are the diameter of a pin.

:wub:IM005958mbrittlestar2.jpg

I've literally got millions of them in my larger system, you're very welcome to them.

I've literally got millions of them in my larger system, you're very welcome to them.
HAND THEM OVAH NAO! KTHXBAI.

Vegas baby! Vegas!! Hows it going chica? Sorry I haven't been around to annoy you as of late. I'm a tour guide now and have been living in the desert for the last few months. Haven't read everything all the way up to this point. Looks like you're trying to get rid of the fuge flatworms finally? I've seen Velvets in stores before but I've never tried one myself. Isn't your fuge full of monsters? Think one of those coulda killed him/them? Wish I had baby stars.
You popped in!!! Fuge and flatworms. I'm on a sequel now. The first episode ended in a win for Kat. The fuge has one monster, he killed Bugs the bunny. He could have killed the blue velvets. But why would they venture into his cave, flatworms like to stay in the light.

Nudis haven't been known for great intelligence. Plus Mr. Snapper (forgot his real name) prolly thinks the entire fuge is his territory.

HAND THEM OVAH NAO! KTHXBAI.

Come and get em......if u dare.

Muuahahahahahahah!

We had a blast at the annual 156 crew graffiti BBQ, thought ya might enjoy this.

post-73763-0-21702900-1408301935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nah, they enjoy the algae that is growing in the lighter spots of the tank. Have you tried FWE or are you aiming away from that?

My other suggestion is pretty drastic.