Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Update on the IM reactors. (Re-cap: it stinks because the GFO becomes a brick and you have to chisel it out)It happened again and that was when we were all discussing tumbling vs no tumbling and then Julian Sprung chimed in with YES make it tumble.So anyway, the 3rd time I re-filled the GFO reactor I mixed in a little bit of carbon and packed it loosely with floss. I saw very little tumbling and forgot about it till yesterday when I changed out the media again. This time there was no solid mass of GFO, it was still gunky but easy to remove. I don;t know if mixing with carbon or packing it with floss or both were responsible. For the current media refresh, I've used the small reactor to fill it up with GFO mixed with a little carbon and put in some floss. The bigger reactor has mostly carbon with some GFO mixed in. I'm not entirely sure if I've used too much GFO but I know what it can do to a tank so I'll be watching.
I used 2 table spoons on my 30 and 2 tablespoons of carbon. I bumped that to 3 with my new tank. You FILL the reactor with GFO?

I use BRS high capacity.

I used 2 table spoons on my 30 and 2 tablespoons of carbon. I bumped that to 3 with my new tank. You FILL the reactor with GFO?

I use BRS high capacity.

The desktop is very small but no I don't fill it to capacity. the midsize is rather large but even that I don't fill up. I use a lot of GFO and carbon however.

I run the desktops. Just because the media chamber pulls out without unclamping the mount. The midsize was to tall and I had to unmount it to remove the media canister. They are small for my tank but do the job perfectly.

I run the desktops. Just because the media chamber pulls out without unclamping the mount. The midsize was to tall and I had to unmount it to remove the media canister. They are small for my tank but do the job perfectly.

I feel the same way, I would like another desktop in place of the midsize. But worry about it not having enough media.

I have 2 running now with a 3rd sitting in the garage. 1 runs GFO 1 runs Carbon the 3rd will run Purigen in a bag soon as the UV sterilizer comes out of my sump. Started running it before the new algae bloom ramps up.

huh?

I have used Ultra Phos 0.04, ROWR, E.S.V. Carbon, Matrix, Phosguard, homemade SeaGel, Purigen in a bag (and without...don't do it) and have never had to chisel out media...?

Why do you have floss in there? Do you use that in place of sponges?

i have no issues with gfo clumping (phosban brand) in my nextreef reactor. I will say after about a week though the top granuals stop dancing and I have to crank the flow for a few seconds and turn it back down and I'm good for another week. I change it every 2 weeks when i don't get lazy.

I want those orange ZOA's Mike. Reefgoddess hasn't answered any PMs.

I want a milion dollars. We don't always get what we wants :P

Seriously though, I think I'm going to buy an electric green bidsnest the next time I see a nice colony.

• Like 1

You can have a birds nest. :slap: <--- was for pouring salt in old wounds.

:slap:

Hehe I know. Although, last couple of birdsnest have not faired well in my tank. Not sure if poor timing o what. Hell, last birdsnest I bought didn't even survive shipping. :( :( :(
  • Like 1

I has plenty of birdsnest Veng if you want some of it

I'm looking for like a 4-5" colony. Although, to be honest, I haven't been to a LFS in about 7 weeks... :eek: And I specifically want an electric green. I'll find one though.