Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

My Panasonic camera has a manual K setting, also topping out at 10K. I can get it to work but as I understand it most cameras will overexpose the image because they meter is not tuned to blue light. I go full manual mode and pick a low aperture and a decent speed, say 80 to 100, snap the picture and then edit it to fix the colors.

This worked for me, but I don't really have enough colors yet to make the picture worth it.

My tangs gobble up the mysis.. so wouldn't that make them omnivores? They even try to pick off the chunks of silversides that I feed to the nems. Brine shrimp is basically a waste unless it's newly hatched as it still has the egg sack attached.

Not at all. Tangs are vegetarians and even though they will eat mysis it is actually unhealthy for them because they lack the proper enzymes to break meat down properly. This can lead to bloated stomach syndrome and constipation. Food is extremely scarce on natural reefs, especially for schooling fish that have to compete with the heard. When they see almost anything floating they will attempt to eat it. Doesnt mean its good for them.

(a)

( B)

Yes, like tangs. Did you wake up grumpy today Zeph? Jumpy ate your sheets again?

Your response (a) above was perhaps to say "not all fish eat pods" which may be true. Instead it came out as "WHAT! NO WAY! Fish don't eat pods" :rolleyes:

So while tangs are herbivores, macros that they eat harbor pods and whether by accident or design, even tangs are eating pods.

I'll go hide now. *poof*

I woke up just fine!!! And my response was and is exactly as stated. You said ALL fish eat pods, and I simply said " most of mine dont". Which is true. I am willing to guess about half of the fish found in and near natural reefs are herbavoirs..

Here you go Veng

White Balance Options

Z_0544.jpgThe Canon 5D Mark II offers a full range of White Balance settings, including six presets, an Auto setting, a Custom setting, and a Kelvin temperature setting. The six presets include Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, and Flash. The Custom setting bases color balance on a previous exposure, meaning you can snap an image of a white card and then base the color temperature on that image. The temperature setting ranges from 2,500 to 10,000 Kelvin. A White Balance bracketing option snaps only one image, then writes three successive files from that single image. Bracketing steps are from -/+ 3 stops in whole-stop increments. (Each stop corresponds to five mireds of a color conversion filter, for a total range of +/- 15 mireds. This corresponds to about a +/- 500K shift at a normal daylight color temperature of 5,500K.)

That's a lot more options than on the Rebel T1i I've been using. It's got the presets and the custom, but no kelvin only, and I don't think has the white balance bracketing option. I'll look when I get home.

Damn, I missed a LOT in the last week or so. The fuge garden is great, Kat. I love it! I actually had a long conversation this holiday with the wife about how keeping a reef was just like gardening, just inside. She fell in love with that concept and is totally on board with all reef stuff as of now. We'll see how that stays when I start spending ;)

Damn, I missed a LOT in the last week or so. The fuge garden is great, Kat. I love it! I actually had a long conversation this holiday with the wife about how keeping a reef was just like gardening, just inside. She fell in love with that concept and is totally on board with all reef stuff as of now. We'll see how that stays when I start spending ;)

Thanks Tibbsy. I see your cyano problem is history which is awesome. What kinds of frags are you looking for, I could suggest online vendors.

Thanks Tibbsy. I see your cyano problem is history which is awesome. What kinds of frags are you looking for, I could suggest online vendors.

Thanks! Yeah, hopefully it'll hold off now. I'm looking for mushrooms and zoas/paly/GSP type stuff. Live aquaria has some nice nano packs for like 45 bucks for 5-7 frags.

Working on figuring out frag racks and how to remove corals from a plug and actually get them on to the LR so they don't look so noobish.

KG's magic sauce birdsnest is growing a lot

IMG_0358.JPG

Nov 19th

IMG_2816.CR2.jpg

Holy wow sauce! Those are gorgeous!

Thanks! Yeah, hopefully it'll hold off now. I'm looking for mushrooms and zoas/paly/GSP type stuff. Live aquaria has some nice nano packs for like 45 bucks for 5-7 frags.

Working on figuring out frag racks and how to remove corals from a plug and actually get them on to the LR so they don't look so noobish.

Holy wow sauce! Those are gorgeous!

You might also want to search on this forum for hobbyists selling Zoa packs, I know Lawnman has them from time to time, Tenor has high end stuff, Eddie also sells his zoanthids.

That's such a great picture of a blue knuckle. I love those things, and the SPS looks good too!

That one just molted, for some reason he always climbs to the top of the bird and molts.

You might also want to search on this forum for hobbyists selling Zoa packs, I know Lawnman has them from time to time, Tenor has high end stuff, Eddie also sells his zoanthids.

Thanks! I just checked Tenor's sell thread. Really nice, but a bit pricey for single polyps right now. They are probably worth it, no doubt.

Yeah, I was so sad when I found the first molt and I thought he had died. They're so life like.

@Tisbby

One of the things i've found is it's a balancing act between wanting to fill your tank fast with cheap stuff and once it's full wishing you'd chosen different stuff or different colors. I'm not saying by XYZ because it's expensive, that's dumb. But do be careful to look at the colors of what you're getting as other wise it's really easy to have a sea of green and red corals only as they can be some of the most common and thus the cheapest.

Yeah, I was so sad when I found the first molt and I thought he had died. They're so life like.

@Tisbby

One of the things i've found is it's a balancing act between wanting to fill your tank fast with cheap stuff and once it's full wishing you'd chosen different stuff or different colors. I'm not saying by XYZ because it's expensive, that's dumb. But do be careful to look at the colors of what you're getting as other wise it's really easy to have a sea of green and red corals only as they can be some of the most common and thus the cheapest.

Good points. The frag packs are random on their part.

Good advice Veng. Tibbsy I just remembered, Tiny Giant sells hige frag packs of different kinds of corals.

Look at what I bought from him when I wanted to stock the tank

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/289493-kats-totm-party/page-25#entry3762447

I'll check Tiny Giant out and see if he's selling anything.

Edit: nothing for sale right now that I can see. I'll be looking for other options, then. 50 bucks for a nice zoa is a bit much for a single frag for me right now. I'll see who else has some stuff. There is another local guy selling some things. Maybe I'll pick some up there? I'd buy from the big-time seller who is local, but he told me he's got planaria and that it's not a huge deal but I'd rather not even mess with that.

Whoa, that orange/red tiny gorg on the left front is bright as hell. Never seen one like it. That's a gorg right? lol

Yes, NPS.

Tiny Giant has it, in fact I wouldn't mind another frag of it, one of my crabs ran off with mine. :angry::furious:

Deleted User 4

Yes, NPS.

Tiny Giant has it, in fact I wouldn't mind another frag of it, one of my crabs ran off with mine. :angry::furious:

I see. How much are those running for? What kind of crab would do such a thing!! lol

Good points. The frag packs are random on their part.

Not random. They're the cheapst things they have. They're not going to randomly throw in a 20$ per polyp zoa into a frag pack. Which means they're going to be lots of green and some red in them. It's not a bad deal if you're still in the "make my tank not look empty" stage, but just wanting to make sure you know what you're getting. :)

what? to grow? color up?

Both. I have a blue milli that's browned out and never colored up though it's grown about 3". Recently base has STN'd so I fragged it. Frag survived so it's in a pretty decent amount of light and not bleaching so that one may have hope. I have a birdsnest that was doing good on color and growth but now maybe not so much in the big tank. Base might be STN'ing. I guess I can probably account for a new tank leading to the demise of my stylo frags. Alk is at 7, Calc at 500. Phos .08. No sign of trates, chaeto is withering away in the sump.

I see. How much are those running for? What kind of crab would do such a thing!! lol

Silly crabs. pretty sure it was a striped hermit. I got 24 frags from Tiny, and with shipping and discount it worked out to about $10 a frag.