Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Damn right you can!

Happy Newwww Yearrr! Kat looks like you are getting another day of TOTM.

Cris usually changes over by mid day.

Same to you I was in bed sleeping at 10:08 lmao. Was woke up at 12:02 by the neighbors letting off fireworks. Did you go party in the New Year?

No parties for me, I don't enjoy them, much prefer dinner with close friends.

Don't think about dosing iron if you have clams (which I believe you do.) Trust me on this one. It was many years ago, but I remember the thread about some guy dosing iron. Lost all of his clams over night.

You're right Ray, zeph has several posts in the pinched mantle sticky about iron. But he has revised some aspects of the research based on more research, for example his has macros in with his clams now whereas before because of the iron thing, he refused to have any.

Happy New Year!

What bulb combo did you go with? Looks like your zoas have grown a bit too. I have my eye on those midas zoas.

Same as before, just new bulbs. Stock RSM T5s, they are 55W 50/50s.

Everything has grown yes. I'm looking for very tiny frag plugs, about to do a fire sale on the SPS. And I'll have to try fragging zoas too.

Don't think about dosing iron if you have clams (which I believe you do.) Trust me on this one. It was many years ago, but I remember the thread about some guy dosing iron. Lost all of his clams over night.

I think someone else once wrote about iron and clams, yea....sounds familiar.

B)

So in less than a month of KALK, the coralline went crazy and is all over the glass.

TOTM FTS

MAINFTSFINAL.jpg

FTS Dec 30th

20121229_180940.jpg

My stony corals are growing like as if they are on steroids. It might be the specific micron foods I am feeding but I think they are only now receiving a constant level of carbonates from my 2 part dosing and the KALK, which is making this possible.

I'm looking for ways to bring back the green color in the SPS now.

Has your clam shown any retention since Kalk?

No, she's good.

ok..good.

A somewhat shorter read for you, Zeph. I don't know if it's all rehash, but whatever.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74863-clam-wipeout-iron-dosing-disease/

I read the opening post, wow, poor guy. I know EXACTLY how he feels because I once lost a tank containing 52 tridacnids, exactly in the same mannor. That post was from 2005, and he mentions my dear friend Barry @ clams Direct. This is a great example of progress, because I really could have helped this guy save ALL of his clams. He brags about his "prestine water conditions" and when the clams started opening less he did what we now know is the worst thing to do - A BIG WATER CHANGE..

I am willing to bet his clams simply starved to death from lack of nitrates. His water change pulled the plug. Iron most likely had nothing to do with it at all.

Sorry Kat. I know this has zilch to do with your thread.

I read the opening post, wow, poor guy. I know EXACTLY how he feels because I once lost a tank containing 52 tridacnids, exactly in the same mannor. That post was from 2005, and he mentions my dear friend Barry @ clams Direct. This is a great example of progress, because I really could have helped this guy save ALL of his clams. He brags about his "prestine water conditions" and when the clams started opening less he did what we now know is the worst thing to do - A BIG WATER CHANGE..

I am willing to bet his clams simply starved to death from lack of nitrates. His water change pulled the plug. Iron most likely had nothing to do with it at all.

Sorry Kat. I know this has zilch to do with your thread.

Actually if you read the whole thread, it was iron.

He had low level nitrates for his clams.

This is like a de ja vous, because that post was back in the heavy pinched mantle days, when all we talked about was iron. The conclusion seams to be if iron is killing your clams, they are diseased. Healthy clams do fine with natural levels of iron around 0.15 - 0.25.

RayWhisperer

Yeah, he was dosing iron.

However, he also likes to pat himself on the back quite a bit. As is probably evident from the pristine water conditions comment. That guy had something like 12 or 14 fish in a NC 24 and close to 20 in another. While he grew macros really well, he also grew pest algae equally as well.

Edit; 12 or 14 fish and all those clams in a stock NC 24.

jedimasterben

Yeah, he was dosing iron.

However, he also likes to pat himself on the back quite a bit. As is probably evident from the pristine water conditions comment. That guy had something like 12 or 14 fish in a NC 24 and close to 20 in another. While he grew macros really well, he also grew pest algae equally as well.

Edit; 12 or 14 fish and all those clams in a stock NC 24.

dafuq? How the hell did all those fit in there??

Seems it was actually Clam Perkinsus Disease that was accelerated by the iron, not the iron it's self. Not that it changes the result of not introducing iron into the system and using QT tanks.

Seems it was actually Clam Perkinsus Disease that was accelerated by the iron, not the iron it's self. Not that it changes the result of not introducing iron into the system and using QT tanks.

Give this man a blue ribbon!

Oh, I'll just hold any further comments to myself.

Whatever for.

There was an article on tridacnas in the library section of the forum, written my a mark or mike. He mentioned clams like phosphates and I was wondering if he is still an active member so I can PM him. Would you know Ray? Of course now I can't find the article to reference.

With regards to the iron, I think because macros like iron, having macros in tanks with clams could possibly limit its use by the pathogens that kill clams. Like that thread mentioned, and Veng did also, and zeph has mentioned this many times: iron boosts the strength of the disease, having low iron keeps the disease dormant.

This changes every time you do a water change, but having the macros probably helps a whole lot in this regard.

:angry:
Oh don't be mad, you just missed last nights party mode with IIX and 1reefluv. They cleaned up the thread. :wub:

There were some sad pictures in that thread. :(
Yeah. I was very upset when I saw lily decline, I can't imagine what it looks like when a larger sized triadacna is stressed.

Ok, between you and Zeph, I might just might become a Kalk convert. I'm finally dosing two part in approximately the same quantities, so I think it's probably time to give the Kalk a shot. I'm gonna put some in my shopping cart for the next shipment.

But why! Don't do it because everybody is doing it. I have had legendary problems with ALK and Calcium swings. Legendary to the point of turning all my SPS brown and then for them taking 6 months at least to start to color up. The only reason I am putting KALK in my system in addition to the 2 part is to not have the massive swings. Stability is my goal.

The corals are for sure responding being as the system is not in a constant state of starvation or carbonate boom. You have very little SPS, is your demand high already?

RayWhisperer

The link is probably in a state of flux with CM dealing with all the little issues from the conversion. Get me a name when you find it, I may know something.

With regards to the iron, I think because macros like iron, having macros in tanks with clams could possibly limit its use by the pathogens that kill clams. Like that thread mentioned, and Veng did also, and zeph has mentioned this many times: iron boosts the strength of the disease, having low iron keeps the disease dormant. This changes every time you do a water change, but having the macros probably helps a whole lot in this regard.

ya think ? :D

dsc1192j.jpg

Deleted User 3

Same to you I was in bed sleeping at 10:08 lmao. Was woke up at 12:02 by the neighbors letting off fireworks. Did you go party in the New Year?

I went to bed at 1030! Didn't wake up after haha!