ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Builder Anthony

Funny thing is I remember that @picture with the straws in it when u were reviewing on your rock layout.well u are definetly hooked.its a nice hobby though

Happy birthday Kat. I also just got a lot of scum across the top of my fuge. To be honest, I think my tank may be slowly, slowly crashing even though everything is checking out fine. I'm going to do 3 75% water changes once the rodi gets here over the course of three days.

Maybe you could disturb te top layer and let it get sucked up and ten dropped back down to the skimmer. Y skimmer actually bubbled insanely for some reason and I came in and had bubbles over the entire sump like two weeks ago. It poked up the lid and everything.

Happy birthday Kat. I also just got a lot of scum across the top of my fuge. To be honest, I think my tank may be slowly, slowly crashing even though everything is checking out fine. I'm going to do 3 75% water changes once the rodi gets here over the course of three days.

Maybe you could disturb te top layer and let it get sucked up and ten dropped back down to the skimmer. Y skimmer actually bubbled insanely for some reason and I came in and had bubbles over the entire sump like two weeks ago. It poked up the lid and everything.

It's a birthday month, thank you.

I'm going to do a large water change tomorrow for sure. Also, look into drTims refresh and waste away, it is supposed to balance out the bacteria strains in the aquarium,

Too much cooking and a cleaning lady on a mission.

Oh that's for sure based on your previous post, but I'm wondering what it was exactly? Just the microbiologist in me.

Oh that's for sure based on your previous post, but I'm wondering what it was exactly? Just the microbiologist in me.

The root of the problem is a common bacteria, Alcaligenes xylosoxidans, found wherever humans congregate and known for its copious slime production. It grows out of control when volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and phalates are present in high concentrations.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/mystery-white-reef-slime-part-iii

Yeah, I've got a problem. I am almost certain I've got a bacterial bloom, my tank is very close to the kitchen and the cleaning lady was extra zealous in her cleaning today.

I cleaned my skimmer less than an hour ago. Here is the collection cup lid within the hour.

20130102_214057.jpg

20130102_214111.jpg

Skimmer is set to the lowest setting, and is skimming very wet.

How are your Macros looking? They releasing anything to cause this?

How are your Macros looking? They releasing anything to cause this?

No, the caulerpa I have is confined to one rock, not abundant at all and is dark green even now. All macros are normal color. Nobody had a sexy party.

Jeeze effin auto correct!

you may be onto something here Holmes.

i now see what youre mentioning. the stuffs is just a little different, as I never noticed any white film free floating. but mine is in a 4 gallon, not much free floating space. hmmm. if i buy dr. tim's cleanse, i most definitely wouldnt need a whole bottle for my tiny tank. if it works in my tiny tank, i wouldnt mind turfing the stuff onto you to try out (just pay processing and handling).

Im doing a large water change today but the small dose of peroxide yesterday may have helped. If I don't see an improvement I won't be waiting to order the dr tims.

Might have to overnight it to myself

Okay. Water change done. Lights have yet to come on, in actinics the DT looks fine. Zoanthids and everything else is open. The crud on the surface has been almost completely eliminated, skimmer is still producing wet, surface bubbles are significantly less.

Deleted User 3

I hope everything ends up okay. I've been a little paranoid of that lately, something going wrong or my tank breaks, because if it breaks... It's by two outlets full of stuff, my cable hook up and dish hookup, and AC plug in and an electric heater... :S atleast theres only concrete under my floor so I don't have to worry too much about rot...

Ok, that was one of the things two that I always about peroxide treatments. The other were possible ammonia or nitrite spikes if you managed to kill any of the "good" bacteria as well. I'd ask these questions in the H202 thread, but they're really fanatical in there and I'm never sure of the answers I get from fanatics.

Ok, that was one of the things two that I always about peroxide treatments. The other were possible ammonia or nitrite spikes if you managed to kill any of the "good" bacteria as well. I'd ask these questions in the H202 thread, but they're really fanatical in there and I'm never sure of the answers I get from fanatics.

I've had pretty good success in general with peroxide when I dip frags etc. destroying the crud causing bacteria was a priority over the copepods. I've read horror stories where corals were smothered and such so it was important to take every preventative measure I could to stop it.

Oh, I would agree to save corals over copepods, don't get me wrong. And I don't disagree with what you did, I was just curious what if any were the side effects.

I used a very very small dose but even with that, zoanthids closed up in a second. SPS looked pissed off, LPS were okay except for the duncan.

The amount of bacteria that are good in the system versus the amount that are bad is pretty high. The peroxide may kill both to the same level, but losing a log or so bacteria from having 1010 bacteria (just random numbers) in a system compared to losing a log or so from 105 bacteria (again random, but trying to show differences between the amount that's good versus bad) is a major difference - especially with subsequent doses and water changes. You've selected for an environment that favors the good over the bad, given the water change that removed much of the volatile organic compounds and phalates, so you'll favor doubling and growth of the good bacteria. Yo do that a couple of times, and sure you may have only like 108 or 109 (again, random but based on loss and growth of good bacteria) good bacteria left, but you've eliminated almost all of the bad and have put the tank back in prime position to stabilize. There may be a slight peak of nitrates or something, but I wouldn't expect that too much.

Dang that got extra nerdy, real quick.