ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

All fish eat pods but frozen brine or mysis is a better food than pellets. Hikari or other brands of frozen mysis costs under $5 for a 3.5 oz pack.

A fresh clam from the grocery store should be about $1. Get them to cut it open and give it to you on a half shell. Freeze it. Use a sharp blade to 'shave' small clam pieces, chop that up even further - very healthy, nutritious and should last for months.

Pellets are okay, but mysis or other foods are a better option.

All fish eat pods ? Since when ? I dont think any of my fish eat pods. And also almost any brand of pellet food is more nutritious than frozen brine shrimp. Frozen brine is basically just water and fiber shaped like a shrimp. Unless it is enriched.

All fish eat pods ? Since when ? I dont think any of my fish eat pods. And also almost any brand of pellet food is more nutritious than frozen brine shrimp. Frozen brine is basically just water and fiber shaped like a shrimp. Unless it is enriched.

:lol: seriously? you don't think fish eat pods?

Deleted User 3

My amphipods would take the Formula 2 small pellets which is what I feed the clowns between frozen. I think maybe the small pellets from formula 2 are small, but they're not small enough for her. need like half the size. Guess for now i'll keep doing the FD daphnia and the frozen combo.

Also, I know my clowns eat pods because I'd see them pick the copepods off the glass, lol!

Frozen brine is basically just water and fiber shaped like a shrimp. Unless it is enriched.

You're making my day today. So these companies actually make little curvy things and stick em in a tray to sell as frozen brine? Even from brine shrimp direct? I don't know zeph, I see legs and tail and everything in my frozen brine from Dr Gs. When it's floating in the water column especially.

My amphipods would take the Formula 2 small pellets which is what I feed the clowns between frozen. I think maybe the small pellets from formula 2 are small, but they're not small enough for her. need like half the size. Guess for now i'll keep doing the FD daphnia and the frozen combo.

Also, I know my clowns eat pods because I'd see them pick the copepods off the glass, lol!

Crush the pellets tulip, maybe she would be more inclined to eat it then?

Deleted User 3

I will try that tonight. She likes the dapnhia, and it's from hikari so i know it's decent, but it floats lol.

Also, they shouldn't let anyone under or at the age of 18 on this site besides that kid with the bulls avy. lol

jedimasterben

You got the Isocrysis?

No, just nannochloropsis. I think I will get some iso, though.

Hey guys.. do you think my clown goby is going to get bigger? lol. shes basically the same size as when I got her.. and that was like two months ago now, which in that time i could tell a difference in my clowns, does feeding make a difference? She tries to eat the pellets but cant, so if i only do that, she doesn't get fed that time. So I have to use the FD Daphnia, or frozen, and even then she doesn't eat too much. I'd try something different but funds are nil at the moment, do they eat pods? I haven't seen any in my tank in months, but possibly since she's small she can find some. No SPS have missing polyps just an fyi lol.

How big do you think they get? lol

They do, indeed, eat copepods. They will usually eat just about anything they can get their mouth around, but since they have no swim bladder, if it floats they don't usually eat it, or they don't get enough of it. Try some Golden Pearls (300-500 micron 'artemia replacement') and 0.5mm New Life Spectrum pellets.

All fish eat pods but frozen brine or mysis is a better food than pellets. Hikari or other brands of frozen mysis costs under $5 for a 3.5 oz pack.

A fresh clam from the grocery store should be about $1. Get them to cut it open and give it to you on a half shell. Freeze it. Use a sharp blade to 'shave' small clam pieces, chop that up even further - very healthy, nutritious and should last for months.

Pellets are okay, but mysis or other foods are a better option.

NLS pellets are a complete food and can actually be the sole food for almost any fish, even tangs and moorish idols have been kept using solely NLS. Frozen brine should never be fed, enriched or not.

+1 to making your own food. Here is a link to Eric Borneman's recipe: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176530

She's not able to eat the pellets, but tries. I have frozen mysis and marine cuisine, I am feeding her them besides the hikaria freeze dried dapniha with she likes and are small enough, but I wish there was something I could just drop in like I do with the clowns, since they're pigs. What about small cooked but frozen shrimp from the store? if i can cut that into itty bitty peices.. I have that and feed it to sherman and my rats since they like it. Hmm.

Don't use anything that is cooked and packaged, as it will have flavorings and preservatives.

The list of fish that don't eat copepods is tiny in comparison to the list of those that do lol.

Even enriched, frozen brine is still complete garbage. Only time I'd feed brine is decapsulated eggs because they actually are somewhat nutritious.

None of your fish need F2 (which is pretty much just like a veggie mix for tangs and angels), so I'd stick to something like NLS.

Link to this metamucil for fish please.

just check any book that does not SELL brine shrimp. THis is not new info.

Even enriched, frozen brine is still complete garbage. Only time I'd feed brine is decapsulated eggs because they actually are somewhat nutritious.

i agree.

Mr. Microscope

IMG_2617.CR2.jpg

Hey Kat,

How'd you get this shot? This is one of the most accurate dipictions of how corals look under blue LED's that I've seen. Usually, LED pics are all oversaturated with blue. Did you use a zoom from accross the room?

Thanks, I'm trying to build my photography skills.

Dr G lists this

Exceptional Fresh Ingredients: Aquacultured Brine Shrimp, enriched with HUFA's, Spirulina Algae, Seafood, Vitamins & Garlic. No preservatives, Binders or Gels.

SFO brand frozen ingredients

Brine Shrimp
Ingredients: Brine Shrimp, Water and Carrageenan.

Hey Kat,

How'd you get this shot? This is one of the most accurate dipictions of how corals look under blue LED's that I've seen. Usually, LED pics are all oversaturated with blue. Did you use a zoom from accross the room?
Thanks, I'm trying to build my photography skills.

That's the camera. Cannon Mark 2. It can handle actinics. The white balance was set to K.

(a)

All fish eat pods ? Since when ? I dont think any of my fish eat pods.

(B)

Have you ever heard of her herbervoirs?

Yes, like tangs. Did you wake up grumpy today Zeph? Jumpy ate your sheets again?

Your response (a) above was perhaps to say "not all fish eat pods" which may be true. Instead it came out as "WHAT! NO WAY! Fish don't eat pods" :rolleyes:

So while tangs are herbivores, macros that they eat harbor pods and whether by accident or design, even tangs are eating pods.

I'll go hide now. *poof*

:wub:

bg_container.jpg

img_02.jpg

With Jelly Bean.

The perfect viewing experience Large 5.5“ HD Super AMOLED display (+ 16 : 9 cinema-like viewing )

GALAXY Note II’s 5.5” HD Super AMOLED screen offers better clarity and a 16:9 screen ratio – perfecting all viewing experiences. The innovative design of the GALAXY Note II includes a bigger screen while maintaining a slim body to fit just right in your hand.

img_01.jpg

My tangs gobble up the mysis.. so wouldn't that make them omnivores? They even try to pick off the chunks of silversides that I feed to the nems. Brine shrimp is basically a waste unless it's newly hatched as it still has the egg sack attached.

My tangs gobble up the mysis.. so wouldn't that make them omnivores? They even try to pick off the chunks of silversides that I feed to the nems. Brine shrimp is basically a waste unless it's newly hatched as it still has the egg sack attached.

That would make them pigs. actually. oink oink.

That's the camera. Cannon Mark 2. It can handle actinics. The white balance was set to K.

As much as I'd love a mark ii (or even a mark iii), they would be for tank use only so it's way outside the budet.

What white balance did you use?

I have a little gray cap for the camera which I use to set the white balance, but other than that the setting was 10k for the actinic shots.

The camera is amazing and I had to return it to my god mom who it belongs to. My other cameras do a decent job, but the ,ark 2 picked up colors and nuances in colors that are incredible.

So you took a picture of the grey cap and used that to set the custom white balance? I'm a little confused.

Also, you have a 10K setting for white balance on the mark ii? The Rebel T1i that I'm borrowing I think only has non-custom white balance options up to around 6-7K

Here you go Veng

White Balance Options

Z_0544.jpgThe Canon 5D Mark II offers a full range of White Balance settings, including six presets, an Auto setting, a Custom setting, and a Kelvin temperature setting. The six presets include Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, and Flash. The Custom setting bases color balance on a previous exposure, meaning you can snap an image of a white card and then base the color temperature on that image. The temperature setting ranges from 2,500 to 10,000 Kelvin. A White Balance bracketing option snaps only one image, then writes three successive files from that single image. Bracketing steps are from -/+ 3 stops in whole-stop increments. (Each stop corresponds to five mireds of a color conversion filter, for a total range of +/- 15 mireds. This corresponds to about a +/- 500K shift at a normal daylight color temperature of 5,500K.)