Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Not at all. Tangs are vegetarians and even though they will eat mysis it is actually unhealthy for them because they lack the proper enzymes to break meat down properly. This can lead to bloated stomach syndrome and constipation. Food is extremely scarce on natural reefs, especially for schooling fish that have to compete with the heard. When they see almost anything floating they will attempt to eat it. Doesnt mean its good for them.

Link to reading material.. need moar input! inpuuuuuuuut!

Both. I have a blue milli that's browned out and never colored up though it's grown about 3". Recently base has STN'd so I fragged it. Frag survived so it's in a pretty decent amount of light and not bleaching so that one may have hope. I have a birdsnest that was doing good on color and growth but now maybe not so much in the big tank. Base might be STN'ing. I guess I can probably account for a new tank leading to the demise of my stylo frags. Alk is at 7, Calc at 500. Phos .08. No sign of trates, chaeto is withering away in the sump.

I would get that ALK up. Is the phos kit a red sea? they are stuck at 0.08, you might want to get the phos checked at the LFS.

Deleted User 4

Silly crabs. pretty sure it was a striped hermit. I got 24 frags from Tiny, and with shipping and discount it worked out to about $10 a frag.

Wow, that's a good deal :)

You might also want to search on this forum for hobbyists selling Zoa packs, I know Lawnman has them from time to time, Tenor has high end stuff, Eddie also sells his zoanthids.

I do sell mine. Right now I have frags of Candy Apple Red, Rastas, and Sunny Ds. Fruit Loops and Mandarins are being fragged in about 2 weeks. Blondies will be fragged in about 3-4 weeks. Waiting on alittle more grow out and another frag rack from Tim. I won't be shipping until April though as I don't want to risk the cold weather.

TeflonTomDosh

I do sell mine. Right now I have frags of Candy Apple Red, Rastas, and Sunny Ds. Fruit Loops and Mandarins are being fragged in about 2 weeks. Blondies will be fragged in about 3-4 weeks. Waiting on alittle more grow out and another frag rack from Tim. I won't be shipping until April though as I don't want to risk the cold weather.

Don't forget the VIP package for ur bro :lol::lol:

red sea.

Not sure why you have STN, did you switch salts?

I recently switched to ESV but will be making the switch to Reef Crystalls when I run out.

Not yet, but maybe they didn't handle the tank transfer well. Been using Tropic Marin BioActif. I'm less than impressed.

I'll be looking to buy from you in April, then :)

Still your B'day? If not, belated Happy B'day!

End of the month, you haven't missed it yet but thank you.

So I'm about to have a sleepless night. The sump had gunk floating on the surface. White stringy gunk. Skimmer is going bezerk. I changed the carbon, GFO and dosed 1 tsp of peroxide.

20130102_191005.jpg

It had a strange smell to it, not bad, just strange. SPS is not too happy but it is the zoanthids that are pissed off completely. LPS is mostly okay except for the duncan which is pissed off.

The tank had particles in the water column for a couple of days and it was bothersome. Not sure what is going on. As I was telling Benny on chat, I think I may have caught a bacterial slime problem at the early stages.

All fish eat pods but frozen brine or mysis is a better food than pellets. Hikari or other brands of frozen mysis costs under $5 for a 3.5 oz pack.

A fresh clam from the grocery store should be about $1. Get them to cut it open and give it to you on a half shell. Freeze it. Use a sharp blade to 'shave' small clam pieces, chop that up even further - very healthy, nutritious and should last for months.

Pellets are okay, but mysis or other foods are a better option.

Check out frozen cyclops, and frozen blood worms.. my clown gobies go crazy for both of them. The cyclops are very small I use them for my sps mixed with reef roids.. Also, I got a sample of this stuff http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/r.o.e.-real-oceanic-eggs-a-new-product-from-reef-nutrition for my mandarin when I was picking up fridge foods, and not only did he love it but so did everything else in the tank. I haven't seen it locally yet, but you can get it online.. a little spendy but worth it. I use their all of their liquid foods mixed with frozen stuff from various vendors.. Also Rods food is pretty good for fattening up, and growing out fish.

End of the month, you haven't missed it yet but thank you.

So I'm about to have a sleepless night. The sump had gunk floating on the surface. White stringy gunk. Skimmer is going bezerk. I changed the carbon, GFO and dosed 1 tsp of peroxide.

20130102_191005.jpg

It had a strange smell to it, not bad, just strange. SPS is not too happy but it is the zoanthids that are pissed off completely. LPS is mostly okay except for the duncan which is pissed off.

The tank had particles in the water column for a couple of days and it was bothersome. Not sure what is going on. As I was telling Benny on chat, I think I may have caught a bacterial slime problem at the early stages.

Geez, wtf now??? :huh:

Yeah, I've got a problem. I am almost certain I've got a bacterial bloom, my tank is very close to the kitchen and the cleaning lady was extra zealous in her cleaning today.

I cleaned my skimmer less than an hour ago. Here is the collection cup lid within the hour.

20130102_214057.jpg

20130102_214111.jpg

Skimmer is set to the lowest setting, and is skimming very wet.