Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Ohh so it's just a stationary bike?

Ah gotcha, I never understood the stationary bike thing, I like to ride my bike outside and get to smell the fresh air and look at the beauty of nature as well as what other people are doing

However I am all for ANYTHING that gets people up and moving and exercising, I'm tired of hearing about how America as a country is FAT lol

I'm scared I would get run over. I'm actually a danger to myself in anything with wheels except for a car. No roller skates for me, no thanks nope won't do it, nuh uh. Kat the klutz, whodathunkit.

I'm scared I would get run over. I'm actually a danger to myself in anything with wheels except for a car. No roller skates for me, no thanks nope won't do it, nuh uh. Kat the klutz, whodathunkit.

Cars do make my ride a bit dangerous, depending on who the driver is and how much (or little) they are paying attention... I love it either way!

Tibbsy! Take that attitude and apply it to the reef! Immediately! :angry:

Yes Ma'am!

Hahaha, I do love my tank, regardless of what's happening. I've wanted a reef since I was a wee bitty lad. I'm pulling for the system - it's just been a bad week at work with experiments, and the tank is there too. I'm exploring options to bring this tank to the glory that awaits it.

Nov 30: 10.2, 350

Dec 1: 7.8, 400

Dec 2: 8.0, 370 (with Apex Dosing online, equal parts, constant.)

Dec 3: 8.4, 400

Dec 5: 7.3 , 400

Dec 8: water change ESV salt

Dec 9: 7.0, 400 with increased dosing of Alkalinity

Dec 10: 6.4, 415 (after Alk was increased and both are now being dosed around the clock)

Dec 11: 7.3, 425

Dec 12: 8.3, 420 (Kalk started yesterday, 1tsp per gallon)

Dec 13: 9.2, 380 Why is Calcium falling?

When slowly and consistently dosing only clear Kalkwasser to maintain calcium and alkalinity, both will either go up together, go down together, or stay level. But calcium will go up or down much more slowly than will alkalinity when tested. The corals, coralline algae, etc. use both calcium and alkalinity in the same ratio as it exists in Kalkwasser.

Are you using any 2-part along with the Kalkwasser?

If not, then I'd try retesting both calcium and alkalinity.

When slowly and consistently dosing only clear Kalkwasser to maintain calcium and alkalinity, both will either go up together, go down together, or stay level. But calcium will go up or down much more slowly than will alkalinity when tested. The corals, coralline algae, etc. use both calcium and alkalinity in the same ratio as it exists in Kalkwasser.

Are you using any 2-part along with the Kalkwasser?

If not, then I'd try retesting both calcium and alkalinity.

I am dosing 2 part also.

Hmmmm let me see if I can dig up any chemistry stuff here around the lab that might help? Do you have any white precipitate in the tank? Maybe the calcium is coming out of solution?

This may shed some light in the meantime?

Thanks Tibbsy, this battle has been raging since the summer.

I am dosing 2 part also.

Thanks Tibbsy, this battle has been raging since the summer.

How are you keeping your kalk? What about mixing? If there is too much air exposure you'll get calcium carbonate (insoluble) out of the kalk, lowering the overall calcium level in the kalk, reducing the ability to raise the calcium in the water. Even air in the storage container will cause this if there is too much head room. I figure you already know this and it's probably NOT the cause of your issue, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case.

I'll keep digging around. It may just take a few days of dosing calcium and kalk to get it to stabilize.

I am dosing 2 part also.

Hmmm, I don't have an experience with 2-part, but I do know that they shouldn't be added at the same time. It is possible that when you dose the calcium part of the 2 part, along with Kalkwasser, that you are getting a localized area where calcium is very high and precipitating out of solution, thus lowering tank calcium levels.

I'm all for simplicity with these tanks wherever possible, so let me ask do you know if a saturated solution (~2 tsp/gal) of Kalkwasser alone will provide your tank with enough calcium/alkalinity? If so, then you can stop using the 2-part as a maintenance product (along with the added cost and complexity) and just use Kalk since it will provide the same thing for your tank. If fully saturated Kalkwasser is too strong (calcium and alkalinity rise), then you can simply cut it with some pure fresh water in whatever ratio provides stable calcium and alkalinity in your tank.

As an example, in my tank the ratio I use in my ATOs is about 6 parts RO water to 1 part clear saturated Kalkwasser to keep my tank's alkalinity and calcium stable. This ratio is very different for each tank, of course, depending on WCs, number of calcifying animals, etc.

BTW: The 2-part product can be very useful when adjusting imbalances in the calcium to alkalinity ratio. Once calcium and alkalinity are where you want them, then Kalkwasser can be used to maintain.

Edited by Nano sapiens
Are you still at equal parts?

Calcium has been dosing more than ALK since yesterday.

How are you keeping your kalk? What about mixing? If there is too much air exposure you'll get calcium carbonate (insoluble) out of the kalk, lowering the overall calcium level in the kalk, reducing the ability to raise the calcium in the water. Even air in the storage container will cause this if there is too much head room. I figure you already know this and it's probably NOT the cause of your issue, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case.

I'll keep digging around. It may just take a few days of dosing calcium and kalk to get it to stabilize.

There is a lot of headroom in my reservoir. I can top it up with more 1 tsp/gallon KALK today to see if that helps.

Hmmm, I don't have an experience with 2-part, but I do know that they shouldn't be added at the same time. It is possible that when you dose the calcium part of the 2 part, along with Kalkwasser, that you are getting a localized area where calcium is very high and precipitating out of solution, thus lowering tank calcium levels.

I'm all for simplicity with these tanks wherever possible, so let me ask do you know if a saturated solution (~2 tsp/gal) of Kalkwasser alone will provide your tank with enough calcium/alkalinity? If so, then you can stop using the 2-part as a maintenance product (along with the added cost and complexity) and just use Kalk since it will provide the same thing for your tank. If fully saturated Kalkwasser is too strong (calcium and alkalinity rise), then you can simply cut it with some pure fresh water in whatever ratio provides stable calcium and alkalinity in your tank.

As an example, in my tank the ratio I use in my ATOs is about 6 parts RO water to 1 part clear saturated Kalkwasser to keep my tank's alkalinity and calcium stable. This ratio is very different for each tank, of course, depending on WCs, number of calcifying animals, etc.

BTW: The 2-part product can be very useful when adjusting imbalances in the calcium to alkalinity ratio. Once calcium and alkalinity are where you want them, then Kalkwasser can be used to maintain.

The 2 part is added in a different area of the sump from the KALK. The Calcium drips at the rate of 1.1ml/minute every 30 minutes (total 3 minutes/hour). The KALK is whatever GPH the toms aqualifter pump uses when the water level falls.

I started KALK at this level: 8.3, 420

It should have stayed there or both moved together to a different level. That did not happen.

Sinc eI just started KALK, I'm using 1tsp/gallon.

If it was a precipitation event, adding more water to remove headroom at this point won't help. The calcium carbonate is pretty insoluble. It'll take a heck of a lot of work to get it back into solution. If you can, make it up fresh in a larger volume so that there is less head space. That or use a smaller airtight container?

Sorry if this isn't helping - not too experienced with kalk/calcium, dosing, etc. I'm just running off of what the reaction when the kalk encounters CO2 is. Do you know if you are using calcium hydroxide or calcium oxide?

I think Hypsophorus is right, though. I'd wait for a few more days before doing anything drastic. It could be a weird reading and it may stabilize.

No precipitation event. I just made a fresh batch of the solution, it is possible that low levels of it in the dosing container meant the tube was sucking air, i did straighten it with hot water but I can't be sure the tube is submerged or curving upwards.

I'm not altering the dosing schedule, but I can't afford for the alk to get much higher than 10.

Edited by metrokat

The coral.aims is pretty good. Unfortunately, like many ID sites related to reef animals, the most accurate way to id the animal is by the skeleton which means you are ID'ing a dead animal.

Dec 10: 6.4, 415 (after Alk was increased and both are now being dosed around the clock)

Dec 14: 9.6, 400 (moving in the right direction)

Question: I'm aiming for 10dKH and 450 calcium. When I get there (fingers crossed), what should I change or do differently with the 2 part dosing and the KALK?

Dec 14: 9.6, 400 (moving in the right direction)

Question: I'm aiming for 10dKH and 450 calcium. When I get there (fingers crossed), what should I change or do differently with the 2 part dosing and the KALK?

Nice. Personally I would cut down on the on time for Ca and Alk by say 10%, wait 2 days, and repeat until it is stable.