Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Hi Kat, first let me intro myself. I am a newbie to the SW, but have done fresh for a while. You can check out my build in the large tank area.

I first wanted to say your aquaria look fantastic, and I hope I have enough patience to build mine looking that good.

Now, question: I would love a Mandarin in about 10 months when I get it up to that level. How hard is it to keep Draco happy? Looks of pods= happy fish, or does he like hanging out in a certain spot?

Thanks,

Boggers

Hi Kat, first let me intro myself. I am a newbie to the SW, but have done fresh for a while. You can check out my build in the large tank area.

I first wanted to say your aquaria look fantastic, and I hope I have enough patience to build mine looking that good.

Now, question: I would love a Mandarin in about 10 months when I get it up to that level. How hard is it to keep Draco happy? Looks of pods= happy fish, or does he like hanging out in a certain spot?

Thanks,

Boggers

Hey Boggers! Thanks for your comment. I got lucky with Draco, he was already eating frozen when I got him home. For a very long time I worried that he was not getting enough because I would only see him interested in Nutramar Ova and nothing else. So I started a Tisbe pod culture for him. I ran tat for 3 months and it did not feed him directly as I would put the pods in after the lights went out, but it seeded my tank with pods. Now with the fuge, I throw in a bag of pods every now and then to keep the population up and I do see them on the walls of the fuge. When you are ready for your fish, have the store feed the mandarin in front of you, the one that eats should be considered.

I have made a mandarin diner for Draco. BAsically through a tube I inject nutramar ova (and hopefully live BBS soon enough) till it collects into a little food dish. Draco is still being trained to check there for food but when he finds it he loves it.

Fine. I won't put up a picture of the cyano in my tank. That #### is terrifying.

oh that stuff IS scary! post on your thread, I want to see.

I'll put this in link form, I think the pictures themselves would be too much....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=u...sa=N&tab=wi

:lol:

eeks

Hey, Kat.

You have a lettuce slug, don't you? Would you recommend?

Thanks,

Chris

Heya. Yeah, they are cool but don't do much other than meander around. I've not seen mine actively eating anything although they are on every kind of algae patch there is.

Ain't no party like a TOTM party. Congratulations!

inorite! Thank you so much.

:wub:

Santa Piggy, slip a sable under the tree, for me

I've been an awful good girl

Santa Piggy, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Hurry down the chimney tonight

Hurry down the chimney tonight

lololol

Posted some terrifying pics in my thread - no awfulness in your thread. God help me. God help us all.

I wander off into the wasteland for a while only to return to find you are famous! Congrats on TOTM!! Looking grand, I must say...

John!!! Nice to see you again, how is everything, the frag stations, the scapes, the family?

lololol

Posted some terrifying pics in my thread - no awfulness in your thread. God help me. God help us all.

Piggy sent me a lovely Christmas present!

And I saw your pics, nasty stuff!

I've baby sat some clams fro Zeph, the clam god AKA the clam napper. In order of appearance

Bunny the Gold Maxima - lives with Zeph

Ebony the black Maxima - Lives with Zeph

Emerald the babeh Maxima - lives with me

Lily, the ORA squamosa that lived for a week. :(

The new babeh turquoise clam, has not been named yet.

So I have 2 clams yeah. the ORA squamosa was really one of a kind, I know all of them are, but she really was beautiful and I don't like squamosas in general.

The sun coral lives with Brian (Serenity Reef) in Dallas now. They're cool.

They kept most of the color, little b*st*rds like to eat!

Still want those ninja Turtles IIX, ship them!

You just want my clams!

Uh huh. He's a buddy even though we have never met. But it's being planned, Veng, his wife Tailes, Serenity and his GF Audrey and I we are going to hit a LFS in Dallas one of these days. And I don't mean rob it. :huh:

Maybe Moh Ha Ha Ha

We'll have to pic just one LFS though, and how do you chose?

The places that I'd actually recommend if we can only see 1:

Dallas North Aquarium - Nice and fairly clean, one of the best selections of empty tanks, friendly staff.

Fish Gallery - Again, nice selection fo stuff, decently large. Fairly clean.

Mid Cities Aquariums - It's smaller shop space than the two above, but probably similiar volume of corals. It has perhaps the biggest display tank in the area, I dunno, 500+ gallons? It's enormous. Can be pricey depending on what you want.

Places that I wouldn't recommend if you're only seeing one:

Exotic Aquatics - I think this is the most expensive pricing in town by far. You'd think they'd have the cleanest tanks because of it, but they don't. They might clean the glass, but every type of nuisance algae known to man is in those tanks and on thier frags. They've had a few frags I'd consider paying thier stupid prices for, but not when it comes with free nuisance algae.

Aquatic Design - It's a smaller shop, decent amount of stuff here when it comes to coral variety, but the tanks aren't that clean of nuisance algae. Cleaner than Exotic and cheaper, but that's not saying much.

Neptune's Cove - They've got a lot of tanks, and a good selection. Hit or miss on prices, but the place scares me. They always seem to have dead fish in thier tanks and stuff that doesn't look great. The owner is probably bi-polar and will either be really nice, or a complete ass depending on the day.

Plano Pet's - They had great prices and a small selection. However, they moved to a new location and don't have saltwater set back up yet. I think that's suppose to be up and running in another month or so.

Saltwater Paradise - It's just a tiny shop. Have some neat stuff from time to time, but no selection.

Reef Remedies - Again, tiny shop. Very friendly and nice staff, but not enough selection.

+1

Looks like the sexy shrimp has eggs too. :)

Do you ever get baby shrimp that make it to adulthood? My mama sexy has had eggs at least three times, but I'm pretty sure they are just feeding the system! Love your clams, too!

You're not a jedi. Psh.

:slap:

Nope still here, I leave a few days after Christmas. It's a short 3 day trip, will be back on New Years.

Paris in May, you should join!

Do you ever get baby shrimp that make it to adulthood? My mama sexy has had eggs at least three times, but I'm pretty sure they are just feeding the system! Love your clams, too!

Until recently I think I only had females so this is the first time I've seen a sexy mama. :huh:

:lol:

:slap:

Paris in May, you should join!

I totally could! Champs Elysees, midnight DaVinci code tour of the louvre. Croissant and coffee on the sidewalk.