Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben
Are you in the general Tampa area?

Hope all goes well and that you don't lose power for an extended period of time if the storm gets fierce in your area.

On another note: added a Citron Goby and a Lantern Basslet to my tank (wife wanted fish - I wanted corals- Guess who won? :-)

Posted pics on my thread.

Albert

I'm a few hours away from Tampa, but still gonna get something. Has to happen at some point. If my power goes out, my wife's grandma has a generator we can have.

Please welcome, little Gnocchi. Currently stuffed with a nutritious breakfast of mysis and reef caviar.

IMG_9795.JPG

IMG_9796.JPG

IMG_9797.JPG

A little cutie. :wub:

Very little!

I tried a new food, Dr G's Caviar MAX. It is basically fish roe. I was going to go to my local Japanese market to try to get some of the roe that is used in Sushi. The eggs are mainly for my mandarin who loves Nutramar Ova, Draco enjoyed this caviar! http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/caviar-max.cfm

caviar-max.jpg

Edited by metrokat

Need a little help finding blue-green algae for the Blenny to eat. Spirulina in the frozen section comes mixed with meaty foods and the blenny is a herbivore. Sure he might eat it, but I was wondering if there is any pure spirulina foods/brands I could purchase?

Need a little help finding blue-green algae for the Blenny to eat. Spirulina in the frozen section comes mixed with meaty foods and the blenny is a herbivore. Sure he might eat it, but I was wondering if there is any pure spirulina foods/brands I could purchase?

I have about 20 pounds of spirulina flakes if u want me to send you some. Cute name by the way. Im going to start naming my fish after food too. Pesto??? Scungilli???

I have about 20 pounds of spirulina flakes if u want me to send you some. Cute name by the way. Im going to start naming my fish after food too. Pesto??? Scungilli???

I love those names! I might name my green yumas Pesto!

YEs please I would love some Spirulina flakes, can you read the ingredients on the phone to me, haven't heard your voice in ages! 5.gif

Okay, it FEELS like ages since yesterday, so what!

I love those names! I might name my green yumas Pesto!

YEs please I would love some Spirulina flakes, can you read the ingredients on the phone to me, haven't heard your voice in ages! 5.gif

Okay, it FEELS like ages since yesterday, so what!

Awwwww...Its not often I get any love from Batgirl! I will call you after the gym.

jedimasterben

Per Frank Barinia, reefs.org:

This is the most asked question I receive, and the one question I cannot answer fully. Even though I have seen over 300 banggaiԳ I am only 50/50 on juvenile animals (animals under 1-1.5inches SVL). When the animals reach sexual maturity (12-14 months), then the jawline takes on a characteristic structure, particularly the male which gets squared off. The second dorsal fin is an excellent characteristic, as the males second dorsal extends past the caudal peduncle, however this flowing fin is often nipped off by other fish. The most accurate sexing method: My best method of sexing banggaiճ is using my establish male [the original male banggai from the article]. I introduce another banggai into his tank and within 10 mins he either is trying to kill him (male) or trying to mate with it (female)...HE IS 100% ACCURATE!!! I have sexed many friends banggai this way. Alternatively you can buy 4 or 5 banggais allow then to reach sexual maturity and they will pair off, and please, please, return the unpaired banggais.

Thanks Ben. My little Gnocchi is really little right now so I guess I have to wait. The other method for sexing I read about had to do with looking on their underbelly after feeding them. They get a bump on their tushie, one sex gets one bump, the other gets 2. Even to do that, Gnocchi is too small, I can barely see her tush.

Oh Hyps beat me to it! Yes that is the article I read.

Looselyhuman
Oh Hyps beat me to it! Yes that is the article I read.

I actually went and found it after seeing yours this morning. I want a captive bred pair badly but would like to a.) get them small like yours and b.) not have to bring home 5 and watch them harass each other until only two are left.

I actually went and found it after seeing yours this morning. I want a captive bred pair badly but would like to a.) get them small like yours and b.) not have to bring home 5 and watch them harass each other until only two are left.

That was my plan last night but it did not work. I stared at the tank for a good 20 minutes and felt like i had found a pair. They were hovering close to each other. Then the angel fish and butterfly fish that was in the same tank came too close and they scattered. Of course never saw anybody pair up again. I think a safer assumption would be if one fish does not immediately chase the other. I saw some of them distinctly appear unfriendly.

Looselyhuman
That was my plan last night but it did not work. I stared at the tank for a good 20 minutes and felt like i had found a pair. They were hovering close to each other. Then the angel fish and butterfly fish that was in the same tank came too close and they scattered. Of course never saw anybody pair up again. I think a safer assumption would be if one fish does not immediately chase the other. I saw some of them distinctly appear unfriendly.

I think that plan makes sense except that once you find your pair, the net is likely to have the same effect as the big fish did, and you'll end up getting the two that absolutely hate each other the most anyway. :D

This seems like a pretty foolproof method if you're in charge of (over)feeding the tank: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-t...ai-cardinalfish

Great method indeed ... not that easy to see though as the fins often cover that area up but it IS a great way to find out indeed

Vote Vote Vote!

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=590

My pitchur is in this months photo contest!!!!

Voted for yours

This seems like a pretty foolproof method if you're in charge of (over)feeding the tank: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-t...ai-cardinalfish

There is another species, or morph of the Banggai that is being discussed, called the Panda Banggai and I posted info about it on my thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry4002700

post 3052

Great looking fish too!

Voted. Picture of the tail spot please. I have been looking at them for a while. Really nice colors on the head. Getting windy here.

Wish you all the best with that storm. seems like it may be moving westward so the intensity you get will hopefully be lower, ideally low, but you may get a lot of rain as per Fox News a few minutes ago

On the Pic : I voted for it for the same reason .. not because of the post ... I liked it !

Edited by albertthiel