Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I have all my invoices for every purchase. I will never add it up, but I can tell you that spending $850 for the RSM was the cheapest part. :o

I have all my invoices for every purchase. I will never add it up, but I can tell you that spending $850 for the RSM was the cheapest part. :o

I know!

The spread sheet also has a nice $1K in sales of corals and equipment. So I'm glad to have MOAR to spend.

:o

Will a wrasse eat my sexy shrimp?

jedimasterben
MIDNIGHT MADNESS SALE TONIGHT!!!!!!!!

I have a list!

2 Bangaii Cardinals

1 Shrimp Goby Pair

Oodles of frozen and live foods

Yellow neon gobies

somebody stop me!

Yellow neon gobies? SIGN ME UP

Will a wrasse eat my sexy shrimp?

Depends on the wrasse. Some are more aggressive than others, but any may pick on them. Even my clowns don't like mine.

See that drawing Nippy did for me? That's METROkat. B)

It's Miss Kat to you Clam Napper!

I have a spreadsheet, I've tried to maintain the source of the coral, when I got it and all. Not sure why I'm doing that though. :huh:

It's called a money pit for a reason ya?

I haven't included my macros or inverts (I have a Anthopleura artemisia (nem))

How did you end up with a temperate nem? From my understanding most live in Alaska and then they get more and more infrequent as you head down the Pacific coast, I would think they would be extremely uncommon to come across in a LFS. Never heard of one in a reef tank, though people have put other temperate nem's in them like Actinia tenebrosa and equina. How's it doing?

How did you end up with a temperate nem? From my understanding most live in Alaska and then they get more and more infrequent as you head down the Pacific coast, I would think they would be extremely uncommon to come across in a LFS. Never heard of one in a reef tank, though people have put other temperate nem's in them like Actinia tenebrosa and equina. How's it doing?

It came as a HH on my uncured rock (which is from the Gulf). It was the first signs of life I noticed in the tank, smack in the middle of a VERY harsh cycle. It was a deep blood red color so I thought it was a rock anemone at first. It is now an orange color. It lives inside a rock, and is really small. Eats well.

It's at an angle so rather hard to photograph but take a look at these pictures and LMK if it is a different species, I'll have to try and take a picture of its tentacles extended as it is now, when the daylights come on.:

IMG_2207.JPG

Looks like this guy: http://seanet.stanford.edu/Anthozoa/index....leura_artemisia

EDIT: Just took a picture, he's still waking up but I hope you can ID it for me.

IMG_9793.JPG

It's really tiny, I see it extend from the hole it is in sometimes, and the foot is the same orange color.

It has been in the tank since I got the rock which was at Christmas, well over 8 months ago. Has never reproduced.

Edited by metrokat

LOL.. And I stand behind what I said. She could not have "walked down your cliff". She simply took a leap of faith!

She had never moved an inch since I put her in the qt tank. Just sat there enjoying the light. Last night I added some nitrates and she took a walk off her rock and landed in the sand. I put her back so we will see if she does it again. If she does I will leave her in the sand. Must check my nitrates today, doubt I added too much.

Edit: I will be photographing tanks all day today. Ground breaking event about to take place.

Edited by ZephNYC
Bunny the hopping clam is now Bunny the flying clam. I hopped her up on LIVE phyto Zeph. She ate that everyday in my tank, she also loved coral smoothie.

Looks like she gets excited after she eats. just like me!

:lol:

Speaking of being hopped up. I'm on some muscle relaxant my mum convinced me to have. I've either pulled a muscle or have a pinched nerve or something, lots of pain when I walk.

is it called Soma? Or Zanaflex?

Something from her India stash. I hate googling the chemical names as the results always freak me out.

I don't like taking meds.

I used to get good sh*it in New Delhi. I actually had a pharmacy there. Too much info :o

It came as a HH on my uncured rock (which is from the Gulf). It was the first signs of life I noticed in the tank, smack in the middle of a VERY harsh cycle. It was a deep blood red color so I thought it was a rock anemone at first. It is now an orange color. It lives inside a rock, and is really small. Eats well.

It's at an angle so rather hard to photograph but take a look at these pictures and LMK if it is a different species, I'll have to try and take a picture of its tentacles extended as it is now, when the daylights come on.:

IMG_2207.JPG

Looks like this guy: http://seanet.stanford.edu/Anthozoa/index....leura_artemisia

EDIT: Just took a picture, he's still waking up but I hope you can ID it for me.

IMG_9793.JPG

It's really tiny, I see it extend from the hole it is in sometimes, and the foot is the same orange color.

It has been in the tank since I got the rock which was at Christmas, well over 8 months ago. Has never reproduced.

Hmmm, I can tell you that without a doubt that it is not Anthopleura artemisia. One because it is temperate (I have three sitting at 60F right now), two it was found on the wrong coast.

My problem is that the pics look just like one of my moonglows. So what does this mean? My guess is there is a anem in the Atlantic that isn't classified well because it is not found in the trade but bears a resemblance to A. artemisia. (I wouldn't consider it being the other way around; where it is an invasive anem, because it would likely begin its invasion much more northerly and already be on the invasive species radar.) Now as what the actually classification is, probably a Metronema katinisia ;)

Sorry I can't help more, you can try to put it up in the ID thread and see if you get any bites from some southern Floridians who haunt the waters down there. Maybe John would know?

Edited by flampton
Sorry I can't help more, you can try to put it up in the ID thread and see if you get any bites from some southern Floridians who haunt the waters down there. Maybe John would know?

I'm guessing that the wizards of Coral Morpholologic would probably be the best ones to ask.

Hmmm, I can tell you that without a doubt that it is not Anthopleura artemisia. One because it is temperate (I have three sitting at 60F right now), two it was found on the wrong coast.

My problem is that the pics look just like one of my moonglows. So what does this mean? My guess is there is a anem in the Atlantic that isn't classified well because it is not found in the trade but bears a resemblance to A. artemisia. (I wouldn't consider it being the other way around; where it is an invasive anem, because it would likely begin its invasion much more northerly and already be on the invasive species radar.) Now as what the actually classification is, probably a Metronema katinisia ;)

Thanks for the help though. If I don't mention the Gulf the ID is a moonglow as you pointed out, and a search is not saying otherwise. Hopefully John can help.

Now as what the actually classification is, probably a Metronema katinisia ;)

Ima quote you. Now I have a nem named after me. Sweeeet!

Edited by metrokat
altolamprologus
I emailed John and Coralmorphologic. Where's Alto?

Sorry I can't help on this one. Obscure anemone species are not my specialty.

altolamprologus
Thats it. I need to find a new role model now.

Nooooo!!!!! Anemones are my one weakness, don't lose faith just because of that. Damnit someone start talking about zooplankton!

altolamprologus

Maybe this will help. I knew it wasn't a moonglow just from the fact that it came from the Atlantic ocean and is surviving in tropical water. But that was already said so I didn't feel the need to repeat it.

Maybe this will help. I knew it wasn't a moonglow just from the fact that it came from the Atlantic ocean and is surviving in tropical water. But that was already said so I didn't feel the need to repeat it.

If I hadn't said Gulf waters, you would say moonglow right?