IMG_7695crop.jpg

Tunnel Vision

IMG_7440crop.jpg

Peace Keeper

IMG_7346crop.jpg

Charmane Star

IMG_7350crop.jpg

WOW omgomgomg:bling:

I currently only have 2 acan lords but they are already my favorite. They puff up so big during the day its freaking awesome!!

20130107_185457.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys are the Acan kings! I hope you don't mind me asking a question.

I have a pink acan that got hit by some slime when I pruned my Kenya Tree. I gave it a few days to recover, then fed it some New Life Spectrum pellets. It's puffed up bigger than it's ever been, but looks slightly translucent, especially when extended. Is this normal for some colors of acan and I'm just paying more attention now?

It's about half way up in my Biocube 14 under stock lighting.

There's no definite study on the topic however I have learned Lps and leathers specifically can hurt/lighten SPS colors, the same may very well be true for acans. Keep feeding pellets maybe move the colony to the sand and slowly work it back up towards the light observing the colors. Violet LEDs brought out my orange/red more. Don't be afraid to ask Qs, that is what we are here for. :)

I moved it into the sand this morning before leaving for work. It came on a pie shaped piece of rock (rectangle on top where the coral is, poiny end down). I've just shoved that in the sand for now. I think I might leavi it there. Should I put dome other small rocks around it or will it spread out a bit as it builds more skeleton?

What light level should you place an acan? Do they need to be fed? I feed tank is that enough?

I almost think that acans are almost NPS and need very little light. They should always be placed on the sand bed and should be fed regularly. I target feed on days with a "T"- Tues, Thurs and Sat.

Here's a couple of my favorites from my tank:

Frosted Fruit Loops Revenge

IMG_3572_zps260fb3bd-1_zpsd23feb9f.jpg

Tyree Agent Orange Acan echinata

IMG_3622_zps0127f9ba-1_zps405e1930.jpg

So get them out of the light?

No don't go that far, just in the open on the sand bed should be fine.

If your tank is very shallow and your light is very strong you may want to move it to one side out of the most intense light.

If your tank is very shallow and your light is very strong you may want to move it to one side out of the most intense light.

Got it i have a edge 6 gallon maybe 3 or four of the acans have almost bright lighting they havent really opend like the original two i have and i was wondering if they had to much light. Its about 8 inches from top and its an edge so light is basicly strong in the middle. The original two are some what shaded area and they open all out every day so ill re think placement i guess.

How long do you think it will take before I know if lowering my acan to the sand bed will bring the colour back?

I'd at least give it a couple weeks with some good target feedings.

Always remember, in this hobby only bad things happen fast.

Is it ok to feed it New Life Spectrum marine pellets, or is something else better?

They are pigs and will eat about anything. I think variety is best so I use a few different things including pellets, cyclopeze, PE mysis, oyster feast, shrimp and phyto. At one time I had an asterina starfish explosion and was feed those to my acans.

They are pigs and will eat about anything. I think variety is best so I use a few different things including pellets, cyclopeze, PE mysis, oyster feast, shrimp and phyto. At one time I had an asterina starfish explosion and was feed those to my acans.

Thanks

I had no idea how bad the top side of them had gotten until I came home and saw them in the sand! The heads that had been on the bottom side have great colour, the top heads are almost clear, and the biggest head is half and half!

I hope that it makes it. Of the few corals I have, it's my favourite. Seeing it on the bottom makes me want to forget getting a Duncan and just do Acans :)

Updated shot

DSC01848.JPG

I might have missed it, but what discussion has been had about how acans change colour depending on the amount of light they receive? Particularly those of you with rainbow/vibrant pieces, to keep that colour do you need to keep them out of strong light? I've found that my pieces that all started out quite different have gradually all migrated towards the same red/orange, or green, colour.

• Like 1

I've been feeding mine Fauna Marin LPS pellets aggressively for the past two weeks. They look awesome. I had a couple that were struggling and now there's heads popping up all over. I was spot feeding them mysis with the occasional Fauna Marin, then switched a coue weeks ago to strictly FM sometimes everyday when I'm home. Maybe 5 times a week. They look really good and healthy. Some nice colors finally showing up.

• 2 weeks later...

How about currents? I have a perfect spot for my first acan with moderate lights but it's only 5" away from my mp-10 and the best spot is right in front of it.

Also, I never feed my tank (fishless) so, do I need to feed the acans? once in a while is fine but I don't want any grow explosion of any coral due to my nano tank

My acan colony has feeding tentacles extended all the time, during the day and during nighttime. I feed them maybe 1-2/week. I wonder if they need more food or they are just happy. They look inflated and grow well in my tank, from 1 head to 12 heads in 11 months.

edit: well n/m, i just checked again after posting and they seem to have re-uped the selection.

What online guy has the best acan selection now? Cherry used too, but the last few times i checked it seems they were going in another direction.

How about currents? I have a perfect spot for my first acan with moderate lights but it's only 5" away from my mp-10 and the best spot is right in front of it.

Also, I never feed my tank (fishless) so, do I need to feed the acans? once in a while is fine but I don't want any grow explosion of any coral due to my nano tank

most prefer moderate current, if the mp10 is 5" above it you are probably good or you could put in on lagoon mode

most prefer moderate current, if the mp10 is 5" above it you are probably good or you could put in on lagoon mode

Thank you Clay4au. I just order 2 acanlords and one acan echinata online. They will be my first acans. You guys convince me in a big way to get them and start loving them.

Due to my lack of experiences on them can you tell me How they do with their cousins? (Favias, Favites) Can they tolerate each other? and How fast did they grow?, assuming that I don't feed them a lot; to have a place in consideration for them

Of all clubs I need to be in this one! :D

I'll share some of mine....

Tokyo Sunrise

IMG_7695crop.jpg

Tunnel Vision

IMG_7440crop.jpg

Peace Keeper

IMG_7346crop.jpg

Charmane Star

IMG_7350crop.jpg

those are some sweet looking acans ill try to play also