SaltCritters.com

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

"Pro" Tip: Adjust your white balance to help get rid of the blue and make for a more realistic shot and better looking picture.

To do this on my D5100 I simply...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set Camera to Manual Mode -> Shooting Menu -> White Balance -> Fluorescent -> Daylight Fluorescent #6

*This worked best with my T5's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On that menu the Flash setting may also work

Try just setting the White Balance manually to the color of your sand or a blue piece of paper

For those without a D5100, whether it be they have a nicer camera or a POSI would like them to post some of their methods on this topic of combating Actinics or that general blue tone that tends to coat pictures. I am quite confident that someone reading this has a better technique, speak up!

For those still confused on what I am talking about, I will post some example pics.

Rob in Puyallup

Not saying that you're referring to my picture but... I've tried the white balance trick with my phone with limited positive results. I finally gave in and used the flash, otherwise everything's very blue.

LEDs here...

I'm not referring your pic, or dragons. I was just talking and working on this yesterday with some positive results and figure I would share them with the group and/or get some better tips.

Rob in Puyallup

Thanks for that, Spencer. Guess I'm gonna have to dig out my real camera and see if it's able to do decent pics. It's pretty simple, I'm not sure it does white balance... :-)

Like most people, my blue LEDs are on a separate channel from the rest. I just turn my blues way down before I take a photo. The tank looks terrible but the pics come out pretty close to what it normally looks like, maybe just a little on the dark side but not bad.

This will not be very helpful for people with with T5 or halides. ;)

This is a cell phone pic ....

29tszt.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I just read about the Salt Critters sale and thought club members would like to know about 60% off already $5-$40 acans

Honestly I don't think there's much variety and the colors aren't good but if you wanna jump into a acan garden, fill up a spot in your tank, or love a decent deal I would check it out.

If you guys think I'm being stupid or shouldn't "advertise" SaltCritters I'll delete the post. I dun knooww

• 2 weeks later...

8b4a6efe1cca11e3b62222000aeb43cc_7.jpg

I like these a lot, even between the two there is variety in color, both are not very common, just need to fill up the space around/grow the heads bigger and it will look awesome.

• Like 1

I like these a lot, even between the two there is variety in color, both are not very common, just need to fill up the space around/grow the heads bigger and it will look awesome.

Thanks! I have a ruby red cluster on the other side of the tank i might use to fill one side of the gap. They just grow so slow.

Rob in Puyallup

Hi Zero,

Curious if your photo was taken after the lights went out. Looks like the acans are seeking food. Mine only do that at night.

Hi Zero,

Curious if your photo was taken after the lights went out. Looks like the acans are seeking food. Mine only do that at night.

No i actually took that with my iphone, a little before sundown on my ai nano. I also spotfeed, so maybe i took the picture after i was feeding. I only feed every other week though because my tank is so small.

Can we join the acan club? My husband loves acans!! So far we have 3 but I saw a beautiful orange guy at the LFS and he was calling my name...

946716_10202273731154812_1110238812_n.jp

560557_10202273731314816_409803530_n.jpg

Our poor bleached acan, he's making a comeback slowly but surely!!

544554_10202273731914831_753282348_n.jpg

I hope ya'll don't mind me posting a picture of my new baby. Got a sweet deal on this guy.

20130923_210029_zpsb73ab441.jpg

Not bad for a cell phone picture. It seems to like keeping it's feeders extended but then i did feed every single polyp a two days ago ... should probably stop till i get it on a nice sized rock.

Can anyone give me a specific ID? I know it's an acan but not 100% on if it's a designer named one. I kinda tune out vendors when they go into long obnoxious names then i regret it later.

I hope ya'll don't mind me posting a picture of my new baby. Got a sweet deal on this guy.

20130923_210029_zpsb73ab441.jpg

Not bad for a cell phone picture. It seems to like keeping it's feeders extended but then i did feed every single polyp a two days ago ... should probably stop till i get it on a nice sized rock.

Can anyone give me a specific ID? I know it's an acan but not 100% on if it's a designer named one. I kinda tune out vendors when they go into long obnoxious names then i regret it later.

Classicly colored Acan Echinata, as far as other names...

"Echinata Coral, Starry Cup Coral, Artichoke Coral, Pineapple coral, Rainbow Acanthastrea, Rainbow Acan, and Acan Brain Coral."

- (Source)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...