Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

Hey 1stimereefer, what's the shipping cost like at saltcritters? Pretty reasonable? I've seen you post about them before, it got my curiosity up. :)

$45 but it is next day shipping and w/ their sales its crazy insane still. Last time I bought I think 9 things, 4 of which were sps, 3 were rics, a rock flower anemone, duncan- after discounting frags w/ shipping included I still only averaged $12 a frag. I believe they're having a sale again on the 20th. One of those things where it's a unique race/contest so to say- as people buy they add more things so it'll allow everyone a chance at various things, no so everyone scoops up all the orange or yellow rics or acans. Took me a moment to understand what was going on. You had to add one piece to your order at a time and when you put the coupon code it would give a different percentage off each time so it was fun not knowing what you were going to get.

Yest they had 40% off for 2 hrs so I couldn't help myself. Moved some things around to make room. Dang I'm addicted to acans. January seems a long way away for when I start up the 20L. I'd love to have like a grassy field with gsp and then have acans. I'm envisioning a park w/ flowers. oooh, maybe I could make rock structure that went up like a tree and had gsp on top, like a tree. just having fun thinking.

When I bought in April it was my first purchase with them, at that time they were selling lots of single heads for $5 so I said sure, since I only have an Evo 8. I also paid $5 for a mystery coral and they gave me another acan, it had 3 heads on it. Ha. Now I see more 4-6 head and larger.

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and registered with them just for the heck of it.

My wife and I are going to MACNA next month though, so I'm not allowed to buy anything until then. :angry:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I thought some readers might find this interesting, in the process of catching a fish from my tank I had to move my Acan. Than once done I had to man handle it back to where it was.

After doing so I noticed what looked to be hundreds of white little worms coming from the membrane. At first I thought that I disturbed the colony so much that these parasitic worms were beginning to abandon ship.

Turns out this is my acans ultimate attack/defense weapon of tentacles and innards, I've just never seen it so spread out and on a such a large scale before.

file_zps51f55025.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsb748b4ff.jpg

• Like 1

That's wild! I've never seen that in an LPS before. I guess it's similar to the "mesenterial filaments" some SPS will display when they feel threatened.

PS: How about a pic of that acan when it's happy??

"PS: How about a pic of that acan when it's happy??"

In that case, I will direct your attention to post #488 on this thread.

It is a colony dating back to my old cube, link in my sig.

Thought you guys would like to see my old colony (same one in first post), since it's been awhile...

BTW it's not a fish eye cam and doesn't have a filter on...

file_zps0795560d.jpg

file_zpsbacb659d.jpg

Doing very well, I have another cool thing to show you, will bring pics tomorrow or day after...

Rob in Puyallup

I've been drooling over some Acans at my LFS. I have also read that they can be aggressive, that there should be at least 6 inches of space between them and other corals. Is that true? Looking at all the beautiful photos here in this thread make me think otherwise.

I have a ten gallon reef tank with various zoas, mostly.

Thanks!

Rob in Puyallup

Thanks for the replies. I have talked myself into getting one of the frags this afternoon. It looks great in its new home.

Getting acquainted with a Sexy Shrimp.

post-79658-0-75571400-1375074360_thumb.jpg

Rob in Puyallup

Thanks, Dixie. Even better when laying on its side, eh? ;-) Bought a nice Candy Cane too. They're selling some beautiful blastomussa as well.

• 3 weeks later...