ReefCleaners.org

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

Acans deserve 99% of the love :D

But if I dont feed mine often they take FOREVER to grow! :lol: and my frags are too small to become a member! But Ill be back soon once I find a good priced rainbow frag!

all i can say wow!!!!! I have been out for a while but always wanted to add some acans to my old tank. I am in the process of planning a Nuvo 16g and it will be acan only tank. Was curious if the stock lighting will be good enough or if I will have to upgrade before adding livestock. The tank comes with a total of only 16w LEDs. When I left LEDs where not even thought of except for moon lights. lol I know it says 14000k color but I am just a little unsure.

• 4 weeks later...
saltwatercoral

I would like to join the club! Im just now converting my 120 to mostaly an entir tank of acan lords! I only have about 6 or 7 acan lord frags now but I am getting 13 new frags next week!

Here is what I have now

9775760A-3E3F-4B40-8607-C95C74B46AF0-7642-00000937827BF32D.jpg

Edit: I will post another updated pic tonight becasue I have 2 more smaller colonies that I rescued and they are doing great now!!!

Edited by saltwatercoral
saltwatercoral

Here are 18 more Acan Lord frags I picked up last night! The bright green one on the left is Cornbreads 3G and not a acan but the rest are. I have them now on the sand bed adjusting to the light and will slowly move them to there new homes in time...

827405F4-9A1B-4D88-B22E-670449B6DE64-10313-00000D7D3AACC6F0.jpg

saltwatercoral
Club members, I have a question about acan placement in the substrate. How do you prevent small frags of single heads or whatever from being knocked over by crabs? Are they on plugs in your sand or on rocks/rubble?

Whats up Kat! I dont know about others but for me I only keep them in the sand for a few days due to that very reason... Just this morning I had to flip one back over. :o He is doing good though. I keep them on the rock work and either glue them or putty them in on the rock. I just cannot keep a small disk size frag in the sand very long without somthing fliping it over sooner or later. Thats my .02

yeah, thats what has been happening with every other frag i have on the sand. i was going to unmount the acans from the rock they are on since they are running out of room and place then in the substrate, maybe I'll have to glue them onto a piece of rock first. they do grow much better when they are stable.

saltwatercoral
yeah, thats what has been happening with every other frag i have on the sand. i was going to unmount the acans from the rock they are on since they are running out of room and place then in the substrate, maybe I'll have to glue them onto a piece of rock first. they do grow much better when they are stable.

I would def glue them on a small rock and burry the rock in your sand that way it looks like it is just sitting on the sand. Plus it will give you more stability so it is less likley to fall over.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got 3 new acan lord frags from pacific east. My first acan frag has grown heads and opens up huge under full lighting. These new frags are all pretty close to each other and only one opens up like my original. The other two just wont inflate; so it's 50/50... They are under the same lighting and virtually the same flow. Any idea why some seem happy and their neighbors not as much?

saltwatercoral
I recently got 3 new acan lord frags from pacific east. My first acan frag has grown heads and opens up huge under full lighting. These new frags are all pretty close to each other and only one opens up like my original. The other two just wont inflate; so it's 50/50... They are under the same lighting and virtually the same flow. Any idea why some seem happy and their neighbors not as much?

Some frags take longer to react and adjust longer than others. Have you feed them yet at all? Some say you do need to feed and others say you don't. I used to feed all 20 some acans that I have pellets... Until now. I just for the first time grabed a better coral feeder and decided to feed them PE mysis shrimp and these things are open and Fat like they have never Been before! It looks like like I just pumped them full of miracle grow! I know you don't need to feed these guys but if you do you met give Ur guys a better response. Just my .02

Yea I have fed mysis in the past. I had to get rid of my chromis as it made it impossible to feed any other fish or coral. I will try some mysis tonight if their feeders are out.

Edit: just found my turbo snail bulldozing my frag plugs; they are all closed up. I'm going to need to start feeding this guy nori or something as he's got my tank spotless.

Edited by Bubba30
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Super inspired by this thread. My only acan colony I have, picked up a few weeks ago. Will be heading out today to pick up another.

BTW, anyone know the name for these? Blue and red around the outside with brilliant pink/blue mouths.

1357408375012.jpg

!Spencer's Tip of the Year!

Elevate your colony at least an inch off the sand

-I used some rubble chunks which you can't actually see under the acan

-It allows for better flow and lighting for the Acan

-It is especially important for larger colonies that have exhausted their space to grow, the little heads towards the bottom half are easily smothered

-Adds a little height, drawing the eye and making it more protrusive to the eye

-A short, wide PVC piece or any dead coral piece lying around works as well :D

*Updated pics of my colonies are to come...

Good Night

• Like 1
!Spencer's Tip of the Year!

Elevate your colony at least an inch off the sand

-I used some rubble chunks which you can't actually see under the acan

-It allows for better flow and lighting for the Acan

-It is especially important for larger colonies that have exhausted their space to grow, the little heads towards the bottom half are easily smothered

-Adds a little height, drawing the eye and making it more protrusive to the eye

-A short, wide PVC piece or any dead coral piece lying around works as well :D

*Updated pics of my colonies are to come...

Good Night

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can get that done this week.

All Delight Corals

Of all clubs I need to be in this one! :D

I'll share some of mine....

Tokyo Sunrise

IMG_7695crop.jpg

Tunnel Vision

IMG_7440crop.jpg

Peace Keeper

IMG_7346crop.jpg

Charmane Star

IMG_7350crop.jpg