Cultivated Reef

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

Deleted User 4
My goal is to find a solid electric blue acan, sssiiicckkk

IIX it's nice to see your tank is clean and dedicated to acans, i imagine matainance is pretty chill

Do u plan on adding fish?

gearhead i like ur purple/green however the one in front looks practically like a scholymia with that red+green

Here is a crumby FTS, try to find all six acans :D

8fcfad25.jpg

Thanks man. I just added a picasso clown, not sure if i'm going to add any more fish ahah...maybe. Yeah, love the maintenance on this tank. You got quite a collection yourself.

This is the statement made by Todd from Cherry Corals that I thought was interesting and I wanted to discuss.<br />

<br />

<b>Hi everyone, whenever an acan morphs I always think of two stories that were told to me some years ago. First is from Joe Catalano the owner of Manhattan Aquariums service, he dove in Australia with a collector and found an enormous acan colony on the top of a reef overhang, he floated in for a closer look and observed that the coral actually grew down and under this overhang. The growth on the top was primarily red but the same acan colony underneath(shaded) was a stunning rainbow.<br />

<br />

Second is from a conversation I had with a collector on FB. This one goes like this, he observed an enormous sarcophyton i.e. 2'+ and an acan was growing near its base. This acan was again primarily a red color but those areas that were shaded were once again a stunning rainbow.<br />

<br />

Moral of the story is that lighting is a huge component in the husbandry of acans and its our never ending desire to keep everything we love (acans, chalices, palys, sps, ect....) all in the same tank that occasionally create disappointment. Buying an established morph such as YP10, Neptunes Crown, Highlighters, and many others is an excellent practice but in almost all cases if you give them too much light be ready for a change.<br />

<br />

I am not making excuses, expensive acans go red on us as well which is why these days we try not to sell acans unless we have had them for a few months.<br />

Everytime we buy an expensive super ultra acan we run the same risk as anyone else.</b>

<br

Pulled this off another site. Interesting.

Thx IIX, Singlefin I like that little letter

I agree with what he says about Acans losing color and do not blame the whole salers

It just seems risky in general to buy a rainbow, seems hard to keep one happy (keep in shade? lol)

I will try someday

Newlinta asked a good Q...

What is ur preferred method of fragging? (directed at club)

hello all. the acan pics inhere are inspiratational and i m trying to assemble a collection...keep seeing info on the lighting and i definitely see how the light affects their color..this is probably an old question, but where is good placement for them with a 50/50 white/actinic 36w , 10,000k, pc lighting (from bc29)? i have them up about 5-6 inches from the light, i see a lot of pics with them down low but in led or other more intense lighting.. i know i should just experiment but looking for someone who has similar lighting .. sorry for the crappy phone cam,pic,post-71835-1339548846_thumb.jpg

I CNN'T COMPETE!!! Lol...

Here's some crappy iPhone pics of the start of my collection.

Acans

fe83575a.jpg

Echinatas

43bb7af7.jpg

30ad873e.jpg

Micromussa

eb4d0a5b.jpg

Amost forgot these little guys...

2842f10b.jpg

Edited by Newlinta
I CNN'T COMPETE!!! Lol...

Here's some crappy iPhone pics of the start of my collection.

Echinata's look good :D

ny, that is a nice head good color too

How big is it?

How did you get it off/without skeleton (looks almost like a ric)

:P

hello all. the acan pics inhere are inspiratational and i m trying to assemble a collection...keep seeing info on the lighting and i definitely see how the light affects their color..this is probably an old question, but where is good placement for them with a 50/50 white/actinic 36w , 10,000k, pc lighting (from bc29)? i have them up about 5-6 inches from the light, i see a lot of pics with them down low but in led or other more intense lighting.. i know i should just experiment but looking for someone who has similar lighting .. sorry for the crappy phone cam,pic,post-71835-1339548846_thumb.jpg

Check Alto's thread. She is one of the few, if not only, one here keeping Sps successfully with stock Biocube lighting.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3290363

I'm no longer an ancan virgin! Here is my first one, along with a pic of a new blasto and an old favia:

009-1.jpg

I'd like to get some more acans but I only have so much room and am looking for very colorful one's. Any recommendations as who has the best and healthiest on line???

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

just got my first acan frag, won't be my last

Echinata acan, its purple/teal/gold. Like Mardi Gras colors.

DSC_0097.jpg

And got this one free cause it was kinda bleached. Hope to bring it back to life.

DSC_0099.jpg

Do Acans have sweeper tentacles? I have a 10 gallon soft coral tank and this thread is kinda making me want one! It's a soft coral tank because it's my first tank and I knew the softies could take poorer water quality while I was still learning maintenance and stuff and I still don't know if I'm ready for a real stony.

Space is at a premium and the double bright LEDs shine down like spot lights, so I have places directly under the lights and then everywhere else gets so little light... It makes placement for high-light corals difficult.

I won't add anything that might sting what I already have. The only place I can think of off the top of my head for just a tiny frag is a little shelf already encrusted with star polyps and it's within 2 inches of a large colony of Eagle Eye zoas... I'd have to change things around somehow or take out some rock.

No sweeper tentacles. Their tentacles don't extend past their body. Pretty short. You can feed them and they will grab the food. Nothing long like candy canes or galaxia.