inTank Media Baskets

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

The bottom one looks like their Jamaican sunrise. I just picked one up. And a whammin Rambo and a couple other green ones.

Yea, they called the top one an Aussie Electric Grinch Acan and you're close on the lower, Jamaican Rainbow. Maybe it's the same, who knows.

I was hoping someone might know the species, like Echinata or Bowerbanki or ?? I catalog everything like an OCD dipstick.

I think Will just changes the names or he forgets. I got a frag of that Jamaican something and it's super bright. aquasd does have some pretty sweet acans.

I would say the first one is a Acanthastrea Lord(howensis) and the second might be a Acanthastrea Maxima

or a lord...

Reference for #1

acanlordgreen_lantern_acan_LRG.jpg

Reference for #2

AcanthastreaMaximasize.jpg

The second one is a little trickier. Hope I helped :P

Edited by Spencer7

How bout a little explanation of the different types of acans for those of us that don't know how or have the time for a google search. Or just aren't sharp enough for the scientific Mumbo jumbo.

i have some acans, not the most pretty but they're pretty enough!

DSCN2300.JPG

DSCN2301.JPG

DSCN2307.JPG

DSCN2308.JPG

glass was dirty so i took top-down shots, still didn't turn out well haha

Edited by Squared
I would say the first one is a Acanthastrea Lord(howensis) and the second might be a Acanthastrea Maxima

or a lord...The second one is a little trickier. Hope I helped :P

Thank you.

Fantastic!

Singlefin, there are only 11 types of acans, half of which we don't really see in the aquarium trade

Just remember the four other names and pay attention to the different in the polyps :P I'm no genius

More commone ones...

Acanthastrea Bowerbanki

Acanthastrea Echinata

Acanthastrea Lordhowensis

Acanthastrea Hillae

Very handy resource!

Edited by Spencer7
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Fantastic!

Singlefin, there are only 11 types of acans, half of which we don't really see in the aquarium trade

Just remember the four other names and pay attention to the different in the polyps :P I'm no genius

More commone ones...

Acanthastrea Bowerbanki

Acanthastrea Echinata

Acanthastrea Lordhowensis

Acanthastrea Hillae

Very handy resource!

Thanks. Very helpful. Do you keep you frags on the frag disk or cut them off? Just wondering how they grow out into larger colonies.

You can leave it on the plug ifyou want, which ever makes it easier for you to place it. If you put them up on a rock they will encrust, of you leave them on sand, they will eventualy grow into a ball shape

Thanks. That's what I thought. I have one getting there. I also noticed two touching and they looked like they weren't getting along so I moved it. I wanted to group them together but I guess they can't touch.

Ive never had issues grouping acan Lords together, most of mine were right next to each other or touch at one point, only issue is if they are so close the polyps can't open.

You can now add me to the Acan club list, I picked up a nice Acan lord colony about 3-4 months ago for DIRT cheap, I got it off a local reefer for 20 dollars

I couldnt believe the price when he told me because its a LARGE 50-60 head Acan Lord colony, the reason it was so cheap is because he had it up WAY to high and it had totally browned out at the top of his tank, I placed it at the bottom of my tank under T5's in the shade and it is now a sexy bright red with electric neon green centers and neon green stripes alternating with the bright red stripes

Agreed, need pics! Some of the best coloring sometimes is in lower light, just have to play with it a bit sometimes. When I get drags cut for me, I have on several occasions had them cut two pieces of the same colony to see where it does best.

Hi everyone. I have 4 varieties of acans in my tank, all doing well. I noticed that one polyp on my regular tomato red acan has an orange variation to it, the flesh on this polyp is half red and half orange. Do acans, like montiporas, color morphs in certain tank conditions? Ill post a picture later but I was wondering if anybody has noticed their acans morphing also? Thanks.

I personally haven't any experience with it, but like the lottery

hey you never know :P

Nice collection Chris :D

Oh and I want pics tinctorus, that acan sounds unreal

Edited by Spencer7
I personally haven't any experience with it, but like the lottery

hey you never know :P

Nice collection Chris :D

Oh and I want pics tinctorus, that acan sounds unreal

Ill look for the camera to post some pics, I had to sell my DSLR to pay some bill unfortunately and all my good lenses wen with it, But I know I have a Sony P&S somewhere around here