Pod Your Reef

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

saltwatercoral

Here is some upto date pics on my tank with all the acan corals. Some of the Pics I posted are me feeding them the diced up pieces of scallops.

2-3_zps4d012f69.jpg4-2_zpsbcac6584.jpg

3-3_zps37e19b0c.jpg

6-1_zpsc46edc99.jpg

8-1_zpsba1886f3.jpg

9_zps95dd31e2.jpg

7-1_zps959b770d.jpg

10_zps5a80c202.jpg

11_zps0f4ce295.jpg

Today Im going to get some raw table shrimp and see if they like these even better than the scallops!

I will post some pics in a few more days to see the difference...

• Like 1

Here are my babies! One I received as a mystery coral. How cool is that! I got them just last Tues from Saltcritters. Just to make sure, are these all lords then? I guess I just ask because the one is wider and more narrow while the others are more oval, if that makes a difference. I know there's no echinata. I'll spread them out but for now I want to get them in the shot. Also, I've noticed at night they puff up and the openings become even wider. Why?

When corals have a feeding response, they are vulnerable

Traditionally in the wild corals feed at night and by doing so they avoid predators (food is also more abundant at night)

This is one reason why there is controversy over polyp extension seen in SPS during the day, is it a reputable sign for distinguishing a healthy/thriving specimen?

Some say no because it means the coral is going out of its way, putting itself in danger, in order to secure food. Hence in a zeovit system with lots of flow but no food the polyps will always be out there trying to get what they can from the water column.

That being said, I think it is a good sign and perhaps coral behavior adapts once in a "safe" aquarium environment

Oh btw, when I retired my cube I did a photo dump (on the last page)

So if you want to see the most recent pics of my acans, that's where you'll find them.

Clamluvr, be careful with that Oxypora Chalice, not only is it a super fast grower but also a VERY aggressive stinger

I have seen 2in tentacles repeatedly on my piece

• 2 weeks later...
EvolutionZ

gosh im so poisoned by the acans i see here! i want some in my tank!

its a 48x24x14" tank.. maxspect g2 170w hung 10" above.. whats their basic requirements? i do have LPS, SPS and Softies in my tank..

tigrtraps

gosh im so poisoned by the acans i see here! i want some in my tank!

its a 48x24x14" tank.. maxspect g2 170w hung 10" above.. whats their basic requirements? i do have LPS, SPS and Softies in my tank..

I've kept acans in medium light to low light (250ish par medium down to even 60 par low for a few). They love being fed. They are always the last corals to show signs of distress in my experience as well. Overall they are easy as pie. The acans do seem to be sucking up my alkalinity though.

I keep them with medium flow and feed them once a week(frozen brine shrimp and sometimes silversides). Pretty hardy coral

• Like 1

It is a shame how less amazing that acan will look from the side with 10 or 15K lighting

None the less, still very impressive

QuickSilver525

such beautiful acans on here cant wait to get more frags. can i join the club? i have a small frag of not sure what kind an ID would be great

FSfrags012.jpg

its blue and green any ideas?

You can't really ID an acan, besides saying it looks like a Lord (as opposed to a echinata or bowerbanki)

For fun lets just call it a yellow hornet acan (trademark). I'll be curious if it keeps that yellow, bright/true yellow is very hard to come by. LED's have a tendency to make them orange.

Same with silver side, it's a very common echinata, but I forget the name. Maybe an Allen Eye Echinata. Very easy, fast grower, encrusts and can be aggressive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...