Cultivated Reef

The Acan Club :P

Spencer7

Definitely don't have as good of a camera as you guys so excuse the quality, but here's my mini collection so far (tank is only 1 1/2 months old). Quick question, will the acans still grow alright glued to the rock like this?

Yes

• 1 month later...

Just saw this and wanted to share a couple pics taken from my phone. I have an attached lens for macros. Just two acans, but thats all I can fit in my tank. One is a rainbow acan and the other just a simple red acan, don't let the second head fool ya. I will like to add one more in the near future. Just have to find the right one.

15041491426_86e3d64763_z.jpg

14872539758_440110e31c_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got my first acan this afternoon.

I turned down the led's to about 30%

Two questions.

1. A little while ago after the lights shut off, I looked in and the cleaner shrimp was on the frag picking away. Is this normal or is having the cleaner not good.

2. Do I need to keep led's low for a while or go ahead and raise to about 50% tomorrow

Just got my first acan this afternoon.

I turned down the led's to about 30%

Two questions.

1. A little while ago after the lights shut off, I looked in and the cleaner shrimp was on the frag picking away. Is this normal or is having the cleaner not good.

2. Do I need to keep led's low for a while or go ahead and raise to about 50% tomorrow

The cleaner shrimp should be fine, he's probably just exploring the new environment change or eating some junk off the piece. I will say that they can get really annoying when/if you're trying to spot feed the acan, they'll often steal food from the acan's mouths. To try and prevent that you could drop in a chunk of food for the shrimp and feed the acan while he's occupied. Perhaps some other acan club frequenters could chip in.

Personally, I've never light-acclimated my acans, whether they were going under T5's or LED's I never had any pieces damaged. I wouldn't worry about it too much, 50% should be fine. Obviously, it can happen but by this point you should have a good feel for your lights.

My fire shrimp doesn't damage any corals. It's a beautiful shrimp, but I'll likely never have a shrimp again. If I ever want to feed any coral, I have to stand guard with a stick until it has eaten all the food, or the shrimp WILL steal it. It will also reach it's thieving little claws down into the coral and snatch out the food. I've heard that they could even damage the coral by doing this.

• Like 1

My acans are doing much better since I mounted them on what I call Acan Landing.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/048_zpsa269c09c.jpg.html'>048_zpsa269c09c.jpg

And the bowerbanki has several more heads on the right side underneath. Each one eye section is huge.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/059_zpsefdbd4a3.jpg.html'>059_zpsefdbd4a3.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/060_zpsba606cd2.jpg.html'>060_zpsba606cd2.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

My acans are doing much better since I mounted them on what I call Acan Landing.

048_zpsa269c09c.jpg

And the bowerbanki has several more heads on the right side underneath. Each one eye section is huge.

059_zpsefdbd4a3.jpg

060_zpsba606cd2.jpg

Bowerbanki a year later! Much bigger.

20151003_212323_zpsm5navgmv.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome acans in this thread how do you keep colors so nice? My only acan is veeery pale. I have seen images of it with very bright corols, but mine was pale from start :(. The colors of the photos look better than real life...

Hippie flavour acan (under led lights / with different white/blue ratios)

acan2.jpg?dl=0

acan.jpg?dl=0

• Like 3

Awesome acans in this thread how do you keep colors so nice? My only acan is veeery pale. I have seen images of it with very bright corols, but mine was pale from start :(. The colors of the photos look better than real life...

Hippie flavour acan (under led lights / with different white/blue ratios)

Feed your acans (fleshy foods AND amino acids)! Don't cook your coral with two much light, avoid touching it, keep your parameters in check, make sure it gets a gentle, yet visible, amount of flow :)

Hey guys! Just made an awesome banner for the club!!

All the pics come from members like yourself! I'll be further adding to this over the next week! If YOU would like to have your acan be a part of the fun, just upload a pic here and I'll do my best. Try to make sure your pic is in focus, up-close, and that it is roughly a top-down shot. Keep the picture big as well please, don't shrink it! Thank you :)

I will also be making a club sig for everyone! Post it with pride!

Thank you,

~Spencer

21993908692_4dd1199cbb_b.jpg

• Like 3

I havent contributed in a while....

17676117861_9f43213db7_c.jpg

16839272659_15f1d9310c_c.jpg

16403066224_d5e245dd68_c.jpg

17489659259_bb560bf08e_c.jpg

What kind of macrolens/flash/light you are using to take these shots? Very nice photos and awesome acans!!

• Like 1

After rehypes I don't even want to post any of mine since all I have is cell phone pics, but wth, here are a couple of mine.

Top pic started out as 1 head now about 6 last time I counted

IMG_20150517_1753582_zpsz6ntize2.jpg

This has about 4 months and is about 10 now with little babies

IMG_20150717_1311212_zpspessmydy.jpg

• Like 2