Cultivated Reef

Interesting, so in addition to the RKE Elite Net for $450 I would need the ALC Module for $80.00

which is the same price as the AquaIllumination controller which is $80 as well.

The RKE Elite Net for $450 will only control the lights on and off without the ALC Module.

And with the ALC Module I will have full control and only be missing thunderstorms.

Confirm/Deny.

RKE will need the ALC to control lighting. Thunderstorm mode is functional with the RKE/ALC , but as said before the ALC controls the blues as one single color. it gives the ability to set the "white intensity" and "blue intensity" no individual control on the blues.

I have my AI nano running on the RKE/ALC, thinking about getting the AI controller to compair the two

RKE will need the ALC to control lighting. Thunderstorm mode is functional with the RKE/ALC , but as said before the ALC controls the blues as one single color. it gives the ability to set the "white intensity" and "blue intensity" no individual control on the blues.

I have my AI nano running on the RKE/ALC, thinking about getting the AI controller to compair the two

RY blues add more pop than Blue. Sure would hate to not have control of these separately. Go for the AI Controller IMO. It is not perfect, but the adjustability makes it a worthy compliment to any AI led.

When you are ready for final assembly, maybe just run a thin bead of silicone between the rails and the heat sink for added insurance B)

i hear ya, i was thinking about putting some thin foam tape just to keep it nice and snug, but the way it is now, i'm 99.9% sure that it won't fall out.

Def don't want that to fall! The you would be out that pluss maybe some fish and coral. Better to be safe the sorry! Nothin ever good comes from this hobby when it's rushed.

for sure. i'm itching to have this thing mounted! but..i'm going to have to wait until the weekend when my buddy is free. it's ok tho, i rather have it put up right.

quick question for you guys tho, there's the power inlet, then two ports, one on each side of it that say "data", which one do i plug the controller into? or does it not matter?

Edited by Flexin5
saltwatercoral
i hear ya, i was thinking about putting some thin foam tape just to keep it nice and snug, but the way it is now, i'm 99.9% sure that it won't fall out.

for sure. i'm itching to have this thing mounted! but..i'm going to have to wait until the weekend when my buddy is free. it's ok tho, i rather have it put up right.

quick question for you guys tho, there's the power inlet, then two ports, one on each side of it that say "data", which one do i plug the controller into? or does it not matter?

Im in the same boat Flexin5... I need to wait untill this weekend to mount my 3 SOLS. :rant: I have 1 of them with me today so when I get out of work I am going to Home Depot and seeing how I am going to make my custom mount. My problem is that I dont want this to look like trash... so its taking me a little longer to plan it out.

Doesn't matter, it will work either way

+1 there are 2 data ports there for connecting multiple SOLS together thats all. Either port will work for only using 1 SOL/NANO and the controller.

Edited by saltwatercoral
beyondcomp251

So I just called AI on this question. I just hung a single AI Sol using the 12" rail and hanging kit over my cube. Ive decided that two would make a better spread and thus getting a 24" rail and another AI Sol. Would I be able to attach the 24" rail using the existing 12" spread on the ceiling?

So I just called AI on this question. I just hung a single AI Sol using the 12" rail and hanging kit over my cube. Ive decided that two would make a better spread and thus getting a 24" rail and another AI Sol. Would I be able to attach the 24" rail using the existing 12" spread on the ceiling?

I don't see why not. Units are very light. AI actually did something similar at MACNA with their new VEGAs. I think it looks cool to have the cables at an angle myself.

ai-phoenix-led-8.jpg

ok so you think the opposite would work? I ceiling spread will be less than the rail spread gong from Ceiling 12" to rail 24".

it will work but adjusting them will be a little harder as there will be more drag on the wires. I recently replaced my 36inch rail kit with a 46 inch rack i built and used the same hangers at the 36inch width. once you have them dialed in your good to go though

ok so you think the opposite would work? I ceiling spread will be less than the rail spread gong from Ceiling 12" to rail 24".

I would think so, but I'm no expert. Just an opinion. If you are concerned, you might want to change them. I'd hang the new rails, but before putting the SOLs on put on at least 2x to 3x more weight on the rails than the SOLs weigh. I'd also cover the tank when you do the experiment just in case... That way you will feel confident BEFORE mounting the lights over the tank.

gave it a test run today. how responsive is your controller? maybe it was because the internal battery was low or dead but sometimes i would put the button down and woulden't do anything. :huh:

3f1c331d.jpg

My controller jumps settings sometimes while setting timers/intensities. Little frustrating, but works great once everything is set. Be sure you are on the latest firmware which you can download from AI website.

Just wanted to post some pics of my rimless biocube 14 with a nano over it. Took a bit of dremel work on the back lip to get the stock arm to work, but I think it looks awesome.

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Tank has been running for less than a week so I'm still waiting on the cycle to end.

Edited by mdisalvo55
Just wanted to post some pics of my rimless biocube 14 with a nano over it. Took a bit of dremel work on the back lip to get the stock arm to work, but I think it looks awesome.

This looks great! Nice mod. Looks like perfect placement on the BC14 too. Sweet!

Add me to the club! I just picked up my SOL Blue, a controller and the hanging bracket. Hopefully I will get some time home to get this thing hung over my tank. While I was at the lfs picking up the light I had ordered I went ahead and bought my first mp10. Wallet is a bit pissed at me right now but it will get over it. Can't wait to set up the new equipment.

DSC04715.jpg

Awesome. You will forget al about the price of the mp10 after you start using it. It's truly an amaizing piece of equipment. Just center your wallet under the SOL and blind it with the 560 PAR so it won't know how much money you spend on a skimmer.

My wife picked me up a nano for my bday for my 14G Biocube! The arm sucks so I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to get it on.

Decided I'm going to make my own aquarium stand and mount a hanging arm to it.

So I patiently put it back in the box until I can get a new stand made (my current one sucks and finally have a good excuse to make one).

RY blues add more pop than Blue. Sure would hate to not have control of these separately. Go for the AI Controller IMO. It is not perfect, but the adjustability makes it a worthy compliment to any AI led.

I just started using my ai controller. It has the ability to set white, blue and royal blue percentages individually. It is really fun, well worth the investment.