Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Getting a 48" x 24" x 20 , but I would like to stock SPS, do you think I should go 3x SOL Blue? Or do you thik I can run with 2?

i tried 2 i now have 3

Try Chris at Salty Supply. http://www.saltysupply.com/AquaIlluminatio...-p/ss534055.htm I have had great service from them. They usually have them in stock and ship same day.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried Salty Supply and Chris was very nice/helpful, I was about to place a preorder with them as they were out of the nano, but I called Aquarium Specialty and they had the nano and controller in stock so I ordered it through them. My RO/DI unit comes Monday and then I should be up and running. I'll post some pics up once I get some live rock and sand in it. Now I have to figure out what fish I'm going with. 2 Clowns & an anemone with something else interesting...maybe a jawfish or a firefish is where I'm leaning right now.

I just bought a 36x24x20 75 gallon rimless tank. I currently have 2 nanos that I had on two different nano tanks. Do you guys think I will be able to make due with that? If so at what height and such? I don't really plan on having a SPS dominate tank, perhaps a few frags here and there but let me know what you guys think.

I just bought a 36x24x20 75 gallon rimless tank. I currently have 2 nanos that I had on two different nano tanks. Do you guys think I will be able to make due with that? If so at what height and such? I don't really plan on having a SPS dominate tank, perhaps a few frags here and there but let me know what you guys think.

The 36" length of the tank should be great for 2 Nano. With a 24" width, I'd keep your aquascaping concentrated under the lights and 4"-5" away from the glass on all sides for best coverage and better flow. Stock mount arms will not work. I'd start by having the Nanos about 5"-6" above the water surface.

Do you guys think the ai nano will provide enough coverage for a nuvo 16 tank. The tank is 23 inches long, width wise im sure it will cover that area just not sure bout the length of the tank

Do you guys think the ai nano will provide enough coverage for a nuvo 16 tank. The tank is 23 inches long, width wise im sure it will cover that area just not sure bout the length of the tank

For the $100 difference in price I'd go with 1 SOL. The Nano would probably work fine if you mount it 6"-8" above the water. You cannot utilize the stock arm for this though. You will not get enough spread. I have the Nano on a BC29 and it is only 3.5" off the water. At this height it gives me pretty good coverage with some hard shadows at the edges. I may actually raise it an inch with shorter mounting screws. My tank is only 18" x 18" x 16" though... I think you are right on the boarder line at 23". I'd go with one SOL. I think the extra $100 would be money well spent.

saltwatercoral
For the $100 difference in price I'd go with 1 SOL. The Nano would probably work fine if you mount it 6"-8" above the water. You cannot utilize the stock arm for this though. You will not get enough spread. I have the Nano on a BC29 and it is only 3.5" off the water. At this height it gives me pretty good coverage with some hard shadows at the edges. I may actually raise it an inch with shorter mounting screws. My tank is only 18" x 18" x 16" though... I think you are right on the boarder line at 23". I'd go with one SOL. I think the extra $100 would be money well spent.

+1, but dont forget the controller as well!

The reason I ask is because I already have 2 AI Nano Sol units and 1 controller, you think I would be fine with 1 Sol? Or 2 Sols? Or 1 Vega?

Keep in mind that you basically already have a VEGA split in half. AI described the NANO to me as half a VEGA. They use the same optics on the NANO and VEGA. I personally think 2 NANO are perfect as you can position them exactly where you want them (compared to 1 unit) and they will look cool too due to their super small size. I'd do the 2 Nanos since you already have them and see how you like it. You can always sell them and buy 1 SOL or VEGA when released later. They hold their value very well.

Also you could aquascape two mounds LR with a trench in the middle with 2 NANO. Then center each NANO over each mound of LR to "Spotlight" them.

Edited by SynRG

Awesome, do you have any ideas as to mounting? I have a super high ceiling there so there's no hope of that, but I can get some L Brackets against the wall, I've also seen some people with custom powder coated bases?

Awesome, do you have any ideas as to mounting? I have a super high ceiling there so there's no hope of that, but I can get some L Brackets against the wall, I've also seen some people with custom powder coated bases?

I'd probably use something like these:

50%20Gallon%20Artisan-711%20re.jpg

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=160

That way you could adjust the width and height and dial in what you like the best.

Edited by SynRG
I'd probably use something like these:

50%20Gallon%20Artisan-711%20re.jpg

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=160

That way you could adjust the width and height and dial in what you like the best.

I really like this! hmmmm do i ditch the l brackets and get these??? then id have to patch the 4 holes and paint the wall without moving the tank :mellow: to bad it doesnt say how far the arms go over the tank

Try Chris at Salty Supply. http://www.saltysupply.com/AquaIlluminatio...-p/ss534055.htm I have had great service from them. They usually have them in stock and ship same day.

i called them, i think i spoke to chris. nice guy very helpful, but they only ship UPS and they charge a stupid amount of duties for crossing the border. i'd be looking at atleast $250 just in duty. but they did have everything in stock. damn ups.

In addition to the 3ft question. I am building an Oceanic Illuminata (36x18x21) next week. Still can't decide on lighting. Was going to to with one AI Sol, then was going to get a Radion, then went to two AI Sol's, but now I am wondering if I could go heavy sps with two nano's?

Or any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Do you have SPS, if you do do you just keep them close to the top then?

Yes and yes :)

How do they let you know? Do they hide in their skeleton? Asking cause I'm Increasing intensity of mine every week to see if I can peak close to 100 blue for a couple hours.

My stuff has lost color to temp swings during acclimation. I'm gonna try another acro soon and see if by float acclimating them they keep their color. Sps should be fine as long as there are no sudden changes. Ask Tron or Rehype. They seem to have success with them.

By the end of the day my open brain and one of my Acans just really shrink down. They only started this since the last time I increased the percentage. I'll try to get a pic of what the acan looks like.

When will the Vega be available? Building a new 100g and not sure if I should stay with AI Sols (got 2 currently) or sell those and get the Vega. What are the advantages of the Vega?

Edited by bucfan
saltwatercoral
When will the Vega be available? Building a new 100g and not sure if I should stay with AI Sols (got 2 currently) or sell those and get the Vega. What are the advantages of the Vega?

I know one difference is that the VEGA has built in wireless as well as the optics have more "coverage" than the SOL. The SOL's optics however is better for a DD (deep dimension) tank. I am going to have 3 SOLS to cover my 120. (4x2x2)

I know one difference is that the VEGA has built in wireless as well as the optics have more "coverage" than the SOL. The SOL's optics however is better for a DD (deep dimension) tank. I am going to have 3 SOLS to cover my 120. (4x2x2)

I decided to cancell my order for the nano (at the store that was messing around) and placed my order for a sol super blue w/controller and hanging kit today.

with the stock rails, is it possible at all to hang it so that the fixture is length wise across my tank rather than width?

saltwatercoral
I decided to cancell my order for the nano (at the store that was messing around) and placed my order for a sol super blue w/controller and hanging kit today.

with the stock rails, is it possible at all to hang it so that the fixture is length wise across my tank rather than width?

What was the tank measurements’?