Pod Your Reef

There is really ALOT to read about in this hobby. And asking, is not always an option I have found out. :)

And the more you read you start to realize that it is your own experiences from which you truly learn. A person can have the same light, same tank, same fish and corals, etc. and they have good results while yours is failing....and the opposite is true.

IME Research, testing, watching and a little trial and error will be beneficial. Don't be afraid to try something new. What works for some may not work for others. And if it doesn't work at least you know it.

Example, it was stated (and I've probably said it too) that you will never get am SOL to 100%. I know people on this forum that have their SOL peak for a couple hours at 100% and their tanks look amazing. I have a shallow setup and I'm almost at 80%! That said, I have 1 module over a 24x24 so naturally I would have to increase the output to cover the entire area. So you see, everything is relative.

Lastly, one thing is true for everyone in this: go slow and be patient and stick with it. It takes a week at least for a tank to noticeably react to any changes. I would have kicked this aquarium business long ago if not for this forum and I am enjoying it more each day!

Edited by pschom

I'd like to join the club please.

I have a AI Sol Blue over a 46 column tank I'm currently playing around with. Instead of putting this over my established 56, I decided to start a completely new reef and over time make my decision whether to go LED all the way. It's been running for about a month over a three month old tank and so far I'm pretty please with the results. I definitely like the esthetics these lights produce. It indeed is a different look but I'm pretty sure I like it. We'll see how it goes and I'll try to contribute to this group when I feel like I have something worth sharing on this subject.

And the more you read you start to realize that it is your own experiences from which you truly learn. A person can have the same light, same tank, same fish and corals, etc. and they have good results while yours is failing....and the opposite is true.

IME Research, testing, watching and a little trial and error will be beneficial. Don't be afraid to try something new. What works for some may not work for others. And if it doesn't work at least you know it.

Example, it was stated (and I've probably said it too) that you will never get am SOL to 100%. I know people on this forum that have their SOL peak for a couple hours at 100% and their tanks look amazing. I have a shallow setup and I'm almost at 80%! That said, I have 1 module over a 24x24 so naturally I would have to increase the output to cover the entire area. So you see, everything is relative.

Lastly, one thing is true for everyone in this: go slow and be patient and stick with it. It takes a week at least for a tank to noticeably react to any changes. I would have kicked this aquarium business long ago if not for this forum and I am enjoying it more each day!

+1 Well said! So many variables and personal experience is ALWAYS the best education. Important to learn all you can from others too though so that you may hopefully avoid some of the more common mistakes. This hobby is certainly "experimental", but with patience and a commitment it can be extremely enjoyable as well.

saltwatercoral
oh and i thought i'd throw up a pic of my friends tank(s). he grows and sells frags out of his basement where i get all of my stuff from. he's got about...12-15? AI sols.

his tank

new%20LED%20020.JPG

frag tanks

newfragtank4%20008.JPG

and he has another frag tank w/3 ai sols in another room. he's the reason i had to get a set..lol

WOWWWWW!!! :o Can you get your friend to start a thread on here and get him to join so I can ad him and his 12 SOL Blues to the member list! Crazy!!!

Adding in some corals and fish today and have a question..I know I read somewhere that the system has a 4 hour memory built into it... I currently have a phone set for 3 hours and 55 minutes to pop the lights back on as to not lose the settings I currently have. I did not want to shock the corals or the fish with the lights. Now if I pop the lights on for a minute or two will this reset the 4 hour mark or does it need time to charge up again?

Robert

saltwatercoral

I would like to welcome our newest members of the club now!!!

:welcome:

Flexin5 with 1 NANO BLUE

gupebreedr with 2 SOL BLUE's

majtek862 with 1 SOL BLUE

Allan M with 1 NANO BLUE

Adding in some corals and fish today and have a question..I know I read somewhere that the system has a 4 hour memory built into it... I currently have a phone set for 3 hours and 55 minutes to pop the lights back on as to not lose the settings I currently have. I did not want to shock the corals or the fish with the lights. Now if I pop the lights on for a minute or two will this reset the 4 hour mark or does it need time to charge up again?

Robert

I usually switch it to manual and dim the lights to like 30% when adding anything. 0% if shipped. Then switch it to auto at night and continue regular cycle. That way they're not blinded in the beginning and I don't have to remember to do anything special. And btw, off topic, but I used to drip acclimate. That proved negative because the temp swings so much in the bucket. I float acc now and it's the best! Thx to SFTron for that!

I asked AI about the vega v. the sol. Here ya go.

1) Although Red and Green are not truly beneficial to growth, they do enhance the colors of certain corals. We are working on supplemental lighting as we speak which will not only include these, but as well incorporate yellows, oranges, pinks, purples etc.

2) The Sol and Vega are 2 different lighting solutions--they are NOT one and the same. The Sol has integrated 40 and 70 Degree lenses (for both depth and spread), system of 8 pucks (24 total LEDs @ 3W/LED), Is great for DD tanks as well. The Vega will incorporate the same Blue and Royal blue Cree LEDs, however, will be using the 5W Cree XML for the Whites, for a bit more intensity. The optic configuration is a system of 4 pucks with 5 total LEDs and lenses are more of a 70Degree style of lens for a more even dispersion of light. This will also be independently controlled (ability to isolate units differently) and wireless integrated. The profile of the Vega is also a bit thinner and in my opinion--sexier.

I usually switch it to manual and dim the lights to like 30% when adding anything. 0% if shipped. Then switch it to auto at night and continue regular cycle. That way they're not blinded in the beginning and I don't have to remember to do anything special. And btw, off topic, but I used to drip acclimate. That proved negative because the temp swings so much in the bucket. I float acc now and it's the best! Thx to SFTron for that!

I asked AI about the vega v. the sol. Here ya go.

1) Although Red and Green are not truly beneficial to growth, they do enhance the colors of certain corals. We are working on supplemental lighting as we speak which will not only include these, but as well incorporate yellows, oranges, pinks, purples etc.

2) The Sol and Vega are 2 different lighting solutions--they are NOT one and the same. The Sol has integrated 40 and 70 Degree lenses (for both depth and spread), system of 8 pucks (24 total LEDs @ 3W/LED), Is great for DD tanks as well. The Vega will incorporate the same Blue and Royal blue Cree LEDs, however, will be using the 5W Cree XML for the Whites, for a bit more intensity. The optic configuration is a system of 4 pucks with 5 total LEDs and lenses are more of a 70Degree style of lens for a more even dispersion of light. This will also be independently controlled (ability to isolate units differently) and wireless integrated. The profile of the Vega is also a bit thinner and in my opinion--sexier.

I also float acclimate...I did not know I could switch to manual mode and lower the lights and then switch back to my regular settings and they would be saved.

Robert

saltwatercoral

The more I am hearing about the Vega makes me want to get 3 SOL blues vs 2 VEGA's. The reason is that I have a fairly deep tank and want to make sure that when I get clams and put them in the sand that there will be more that enough light for them. I think I may just get 3 Black SOL blues... Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the VEGA at all (becides its not releaced yet) but it sounds like the SOL's optics are great for the DD tanks and the VEGA's optics are good for coverage. Just my .02

Thank you! I have the feeling that this club will come in hand in the future!!

The matter of fact I think I am the only one in Denmark with this fixture, but many to come, if it works out! But as you said, it might work out for me, and not for another.

I will post pictures of the result when I get it next week. So welcoming me as a new member, was a bit soon ;)

Thank you! I have the feeling that this club will come in hand in the future!!

The matter of fact I think I am the only one in Denmark with this fixture, but many to come, if it works out! But as you said, it might work out for me, and not for another.

I will post pictures of the result when I get it next week. So welcoming me as a new member, was a bit soon ;)

Denmark. Cool. I havent been there and I've been quite a few places. What is the aquarium interest like in that part of Europe? Start a build thread and just tell us what your plans are if u dont have a tank running yet. Put the link in ur sig.

WOWWWWW!!! :o Can you get your friend to start a thread on here and get him to join so I can ad him and his 12 SOL Blues to the member list! Crazy!!!

sure i'll ask him, altho he just left for vacation for a month to see his family.

oh and no AI light for me yet. :( the place is messing around. i gave him a deposit, said it would be in on friday. nope, next wednesday. called, on tuesday, supposed to be in on thrusday. called today to confirm, won't be in until next week...according to him AI is back ordered on nano's. if this is true or not i don't know.

called my friend with the 15 sols, he said he got his first one from him and had to wait 2 months for his, kept pushing it back. i'm going to get my deposit back and re-order it from another place that will ship in 3 days. kinda sucks for a place that is a authorized dealer for AI.

saltwatercoral
sure i'll ask him, altho he just left for vacation for a month to see his family.

oh and no AI light for me yet. :( the place is messing around. i gave him a deposit, said it would be in on friday. nope, next wednesday. called, on tuesday, supposed to be in on thrusday. called today to confirm, won't be in until next week...according to him AI is back ordered on nano's. if this is true or not i don't know.

called my friend with the 15 sols, he said he got his first one from him and had to wait 2 months for his, kept pushing it back. i'm going to get my deposit back and re-order it from another place that will ship in 3 days. kinda sucks for a place that is a authorized dealer for AI.

Don't deal with anyone that your giving business to and they treat you like that. I just placed my order for my 3 BLACK SOL SUPER BLUE's with the controller. I ordered them from ReefGeek and they had everything including the CONTROLLER in stock! Aqua cave also had the CONTROLLER in stock as well!. I know alot of people are looking for just the controllers so thought I would put that out there. Man this hobby is expen$ive!!!

Does anybody know a vendor that has the nano and the controller in stock right now? Trying to place my order with just one retailer but it seems like only reefgeek and aquatraders have the controllers, but they don't have the nano! Anybody?

saltwatercoral
Does anybody know a vendor that has the nano and the controller in stock right now? Trying to place my order with just one retailer but it seems like only reefgeek and aquatraders have the controllers, but they don't have the nano! Anybody?

I just placed my order lastnight for the 3 SOL BLUES and a controler with ReefGeek. THey did have controlers but not sure about the Nano. Try AquaCave, they had the controlers as well but not to sure about the Nano.

premiumaquatics ? they dont show either out of stock . when everyone was out of the black fixtures they had them in stock and a 2min call to them before i ordered confirmed it for me

Maybe some help here...Anyone know what type of lights divers den uses? I got some new corals in yesterday and want to make sure they get to the right level in the tank so they get close to the same amount of light they were getting. Right now I have them on the bottom of my tank a 24 gallon nano.. the lights are 9 inches off the surface and max output so far during the day is 26% which needs to be bumped up this today or tomorrow by 5%...I have the Sol blue...The corals are SPS corals....I have heard that if they dont get enough light like they were getting they could get RTN...Anyone? polyps are extended as of now..good extension too

Robert

Edited by wyattroa
Denmark. Cool. I havent been there and I've been quite a few places. What is the aquarium interest like in that part of Europe? Start a build thread and just tell us what your plans are if u dont have a tank running yet. Put the link in ur sig.

Denmark is great, a place to see.

I am new to the saltwater hobby but I think there is a big interest. My tank has been running for 1 month now, and is waiting for the AI Nano and a Vortech MP10, which arrives tomorrow.

I will make a tread when I have taken some pictures.

Edited by Allan M
Maybe some help here...Anyone know what type of lights divers den uses? I got some new corals in yesterday and want to make sure they get to the right level in the tank so they get close to the same amount of light they were getting. Right now I have them on the bottom of my tank a 24 gallon nano.. the lights are 9 inches off the surface and max output so far during the day is 26% which needs to be bumped up this today or tomorrow by 5%...I have the Sol blue...The corals are SPS corals....I have heard that if they dont get enough light like they were getting they could get RTN...Anyone?

Robert

From DD site....

"Photo Lighting Note: To provide ideal color & lighting for these species, these are photographed from above, illuminated under 20K 400 Watt Metal Halide lighting. The coloration of the animal will vary under different intensities and Kelvin ratings of light bulbs. The species shown may look different under 10K Metal Halides, VHO, T5 or Power Compact Lights, and may take time to recover its color after shipping."

Just be careful is you have any lps in your tank as well. When you raise your intensity, keep your eye on those coral... They will let you know quick if the light is too strong. I have a 29 biocube and top off at 30% for an hour and a half. That's the max my Acans seem to handle.

From DD site....

"Photo Lighting Note: To provide ideal color & lighting for these species, these are photographed from above, illuminated under 20K 400 Watt Metal Halide lighting. The coloration of the animal will vary under different intensities and Kelvin ratings of light bulbs. The species shown may look different under 10K Metal Halides, VHO, T5 or Power Compact Lights, and may take time to recover its color after shipping."

Just be careful is you have any lps in your tank as well. When you raise your intensity, keep your eye on those coral... They will let you know quick if the light is too strong. I have a 29 biocube and top off at 30% for an hour and a half. That's the max my Acans seem to handle.

Do you have SPS, if you do do you just keep them close to the top then?

From DD site....

How do they let you know? Do they hide in their skeleton? Asking cause I'm Increasing intensity of mine every week to see if I can peak close to 100 blue for a couple hours.

Do you have SPS, if you do do you just keep them close to the top then?

My stuff has lost color to temp swings during acclimation. I'm gonna try another acro soon and see if by float acclimating them they keep their color. Sps should be fine as long as there are no sudden changes. Ask Tron or Rehype. They seem to have success with them.

I know since I got my sol blue my blue mushroom has exploded in size, my birds nest was doing great until a snail knocked and it broke and now I have it fragged. I also put one extremely tiny branch on a frag and all polyps are open and extended.. The birds nest looks great and so do the frags. Loving these lights so far..Just have to send a email to aqua illuminations to see if there is a way to keep thunderstorms from popping on in the middle of the night since the tank is in our bedroom.

Robert

I know since I got my sol blue my blue mushroom has exploded in size, my birds nest was doing great until a snail knocked and it broke and now I have it fragged. I also put one extremely tiny branch on a frag and all polyps are open and extended.. The birds nest looks great and so do the frags. Loving these lights so far..Just have to send a email to aqua illuminations to see if there is a way to keep thunderstorms from popping on in the middle of the night since the tank is in our bedroom.

Robert

I was just thinking that yesterday. Wish there was a way to set it for a certain time. Seems like an easy program. Makes me want a Neptune that much more.

I'm in the same boat. I called another authorized dealer for Ai and they said that the nanos are bak ordered. I'm waiting on both stores to get them in so whoever gets it in first I guess.

Try Chris at Salty Supply. http://www.saltysupply.com/AquaIlluminatio...-p/ss534055.htm I have had great service from them. They usually have them in stock and ship same day.