Top Shelf Aquatics

Just got my AI Nano and control today! Thanks Synrg for the fast shipping! So now the big question is...

What should I set it to?

I have the Fluval Edge 12 gallon the tank is 17.5" tall. The light would be placed under the stock hood. I have 1.5" sand bed and the rock work just comes up a little past the halfway mark. (Check out my build thread below for pics) I only have a shroom garden at the bottom right and some zoas coming up from the sandbed to midway of rockscape on the left side and a GSP on the sandbed. I plan on getting some more corals over the weekend. Mostly softies and LPS but maybe one or two SPS. I leave for work at around 8am and come home around 7pm.

What would the best settings be for this set up? (Including moonlighting)

Try the settings I had, but back down the intensities for sure to no more than 020/020/020 to acclimate. maybe even lower. Still kind of a guessing game since these LEDs are so bright. The general rule from NANO and SOL owners is start conservative and only bump 5% every two weeks and watch how your corals respond very closely. I actually got up to 65% peak for one hour and then Lou at WWC told me it was too much. I backed it down to 55% max and things seemed happy. Every tank/coral is different and your own observation will work the best. Just start slow and increase slow. Remember the old saying "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank." Post some pics of your tank with the NANO ASAP. I do not believe we have seen a NANO on an EDGE yet on this thread. COOL!

saltwatercoral
I got deleted from the list.... :(

Alot of members did... I was editing the list to add more members when my network whent out at work. When it came back up I refreshed and lost half of the list. :o:angry: Its going to take me some time but I am going to build it back up to a current list. sorry everyone...

hey guys i just started my 29g biocube tank up about four days ago. I went topless and bought the amazing aqua illumination nano. So far is amazing I'm loving it but it seems that is so bright that the water is not as clear. i did order the controller and it should arrive this week. I realized that as i dim the blue the daylight is still probably at 100 so that might be the problem. what light cycle should i use starting at 3 or 4 pm and ending at 11 or 12? also what intensity should i use??

thank you guys for the help and I'm thrilled to be a part of this forum

here is my tank

here is my tank with all blue and white

saltwatercoral the 3 sols look great mounted there, with the black housing they look like they are just part of the stand.

i got my sol super blue mounted over the weekend too. basically got two concrete anchors that hold 1300lbs pulling force each. so i'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere. the wife says it makes the condo look trendy..haha :huh:

6867536281_f6d5945970_z.jpg

6867539417_745cf0e5b9_z.jpg

right now i'm really just using two timers, (i have them set a bit later because i work the evening shift and i like to look at the tank when i get home)

1. 11am 26,26,26 30min ramp

2. 11:30pm 0,2,2 5min ramp

thunderstorm set to 50% chance 1per day

as things get acclimated to the new lights i'll start to play around with more timers but even in the one day i've been seeing improvements in the tank. looks like my GSP has gotten bigger, and the clown fish have started to explore the entire tank now rather then sticking to one side like they always did.

Where did you buy your hanging bracket? Trying to go for exact look.

hey guys i just started my 29g biocube tank up about four days ago. I went topless and bought the amazing aqua illumination nano. So far is amazing I'm loving it but it seems that is so bright that the water is not as clear. i did order the controller and it should arrive this week. I realized that as i dim the blue the daylight is still probably at 100 so that might be the problem. what light cycle should i use starting at 3 or 4 pm and ending at 11 or 12? also what intensity should i use??

thank you guys for the help and I'm thrilled to be a part of this forum

here is my tank

here is my tank with all blue and white

SynRG has the same setup as you and I do. Follow his steps, dont follow mine. Check out his input in the above post. Also checkout his and other opinions in this thread

So I have a Reefsavvy 75 gallon 36x24x20 tank, two AI Sol Nanos, one controller.

I am building my own light tree as I refuse to pay $150-$300 for 2 pieces of pipe that are bent.

My question is how high do you guys think I will need to go for some nice coverage? I am not planning to go hardcore sps here, I currently have lots of yumas and richordea, GSP, and some Zoas. will post pictures of how I have the rock work laid out soon, the cycle should be done by Sunday so this beauty is about to take off.

So how high do you think I need to place the lights? So I can cute the pipe accordingly.

SouthFlorida_Tron
So I have a Reefsavvy 75 gallon 36x24x20 tank, two AI Sol Nanos, one controller.

I am building my own light tree as I refuse to pay $150-$300 for 2 pieces of pipe that are bent.

My question is how high do you guys think I will need to go for some nice coverage? I am not planning to go hardcore sps here, I currently have lots of yumas and richordea, GSP, and some Zoas. will post pictures of how I have the rock work laid out soon, the cycle should be done by Sunday so this beauty is about to take off.

So how high do you think I need to place the lights? So I can cute the pipe accordingly.

I'm goin 12" on my new mount on my 25" L...

Maybe 10"

saltwatercoral the 3 sols look great mounted there, with the black housing they look like they are just part of the stand.

i got my sol super blue mounted over the weekend too. basically got two concrete anchors that hold 1300lbs pulling force each. so i'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere. the wife says it makes the condo look trendy..haha :huh:

6867536281_f6d5945970_z.jpg

This is how I want my light bracket to look... I wonder if they sent me the wrong black bracket..Did you modify your bracket in anyway to mount the bars the length of the lights? I ordered from reef Geek the whole setup along with hanging kit and compared to your it looks sloppy. Here is a picture of mine and the size of the black bracket I got in the kit.

IMG_7448.jpg

Edited by wyattroa

I decided to email AI and I will paste their response below regarding the Vega. Responses are in blue.

• - WIll this unit be full spectrum or white/blue/royal blue? White/Blue/Royal Blue at this time, however, it will include a full color spectrum within its 3 colors. what does this even mean?
  • - What will be the dimensions of the unit? Dimensions to come but will be very similar to the Sol in Length and width, however, the height will be a bit shorter.
  • - WIll it cover more area then the Sol Blue? The Vega is meant for even distribution of spread. It will cover the same area of the Sol if not, a bit more.
  • - What is pricing looking like? will be be $499 MSRP.
  • - When will the item be released? Release date is yet undetermined, however, we anticipate it to be by mid 2012.

My Nano Sol BLue is now installed over my Fluval Edge. Its running perfect and even it does not cover the corners, its ok. I will find a way. Lifting the fixture a bit might help.

I have increased with about 5% each week, and now I think my Euphyllia and Zoanthus are getting a sunburn.

Its running at 25,25,25 for 180 min.

Is that too much or will I just have to make the increase slower to make the corals adjust to the light?

What do you think might be my max? Have I reached it?

NOOO!! My LFS told me AI "confirmed" with them a release date of March 2012. I guess I have no choice but to go with the SOL. I can't have a coraless tank for that long. lol

Release date is yet undetermined, however, we anticipate it to be by mid 2012.

I've had my SOL blue for 2 weeks I'd like someone to analyze my times....any advice is welcome.

00/15/15 @ 11:30am 60m ramp

15/20/20 @ 1:00pm 5m ramp

35/35/35 @ 3:00pm 30m ramp

15/15/15 @ 6:00pm 60m ramp

00/05/05 @ 7:00pm 60m ramp

00/03/00 @ 8:00pm 120m ramp (lunar cycle)

00/00/00 @ 11:00pm 1m ramp (off)

Click my signature to access my tank build.

My Nano Sol BLue is now installed over my Fluval Edge. Its running perfect and even it does not cover the corners, its ok. I will find a way. Lifting the fixture a bit might help.

I have increased with about 5% each week, and now I think my Euphyllia and Zoanthus are getting a sunburn.

Its running at 25,25,25 for 180 min.

Is that too much or will I just have to make the increase slower to make the corals adjust to the light?

What do you think might be my max? Have I reached it?

Are they losing their color? You might have to take a picture so everyone gets a better understanding of what you're dealing with.

This is the schedule i have it on and just raised my early day time to 30-38-38...

post-71609-1329331057_thumb.jpg

also my nano is 4" above the tank and my frogspawn is on the bottom. The tentacles have grown? an inch since I've got a few day ago and the other guys are doing good. i probably wait a couple of weeks before i raise the intensity. I would try moving your guys around the tank and see how they react for a couple of days... maybe putting half in the shade w adequate flow

NOOO!! My LFS told me AI "confirmed" with them a release date of March 2012. I guess I have no choice but to go with the SOL. I can't have a coraless tank for that long. lol

Here is proof of the responses on my ticket. The LFS maybe right and AI is under promising in order to over deliver. Not sure!

Vu9tO.jpg

Yeah, I don't doubt that.. The LFS is a reputable one in CA.. But he did add that the release dates were delayed once before. What do you think they mean by full color spectrum within the 3 colors?? Any led wiz know what they mean??

Here is proof of the responses on my ticket. The LFS maybe right and AI is under promising in order to over deliver. Not sure!

Vu9tO.jpg

Are they losing their color? You might have to take a picture so everyone gets a better understanding of what you're dealing with.

This is the schedule i have it on and just raised my early day time to 30-38-38...

post-71609-1329331057_thumb.jpg

also my nano is 4" above the tank and my frogspawn is on the bottom. The tentacles have grown? an inch since I've got a few day ago and the other guys are doing good. i probably wait a couple of weeks before i raise the intensity. I would try moving your guys around the tank and see how they react for a couple of days... maybe putting half in the shade w adequate flow

I have moved the frogspawn and its already doing better.

Regarding your intensity diagram - Is that what your are among for? Because as I can see your highest level is 32 %.

My Nano is directly on the tank - since its a Fluval Edge. I will monitor the colors of the corals and stop to raise when they get to pale. Is that the right way?

Finally got my SOL Blue set up!!!! Here's some picks.

DSC04718.jpg

DSC04722-Copy.jpg

DSC04723-Copy.jpg

DSC04724.jpg

And a fts showing off the blue lights.

DSC04730.jpg

And the mp10 I finally got setup also.

DSC04721.jpg

Now I just need to play with the settings to find the combos I like.

This is how I want my light bracket to look... I wonder if they sent me the wrong black bracket..Did you modify your bracket in anyway to mount the bars the length of the lights? I ordered from reef Geek the whole setup along with hanging kit and compared to your it looks sloppy. Here is a picture of mine and the size of the black bracket I got in the kit.

IMG_7448.jpg

no they gave you the right stuff, but here's how you mount it length-wise.

basically, all that you have to do is modify the end rails (the black peices). it's actually easier than i had origionally thought because they are made out of plastic.

all you need really is a hacksaw, some sandpaper or a file, and a drill.

so on the sol, the two heat sink fins at the end are not straight, kind of on a L almost, anyways, they slide perfectly into the rails, and there's no way that they can come out. with the black end caps on, it can't come out. but the black rails are too long to mount the rails together.

so they come looking like this (sorry this is after i cut them)

09c5ab24.jpg

so you just line up and mark where the two new holes are to mount the end caps to the rails (the inner, out of place holes.then drill the holes, and test fit. mark where you want to cut off the excess, and cut it off and round it out nice and smooth with the sand paper.

you end up with these:

43ddddd3.jpg

then slide the rails onto the side of the sol, and screw in the new end caps joining the rails and holding in the sol like this:

bff2dc80.jpg

then you just pinch the screws and attach the hanging kit

Just got mine since the price dropped. I have a solana 34 gallon. What settings would you start with? I had a 250MH prior. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have a 34g Solana as well....here are my timer settings as of right now. When I first got it I peaked at 25% and bumped it up 5% after the first 3 days and then another 5% after 7 days.

00/15/15 @ 11:30am 60m ramp

15/20/20 @ 1:00pm 5m ramp

35/35/35 @ 3:00pm 30m ramp

15/15/15 @ 6:00pm 60m ramp

00/05/05 @ 7:00pm 60m ramp

00/03/00 @ 8:00pm 120m ramp (lunar cycle)

00/00/00 @ 11:00pm 1m ramp (off)