Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thanks for the input, I will try out the settings. lol I just checked out your thread. What light did you have prior to the ai sol?

Yeah just use those as a general template you can tweak them to your liking. I had the BoostLED mU135....not nearly as powerful or customizable.

Cool. I just set it, I Iove the settings so far. I cant wait to see more of them. What are you running your ai sol at now?

Yeah just use those as a general template you can tweak them to your liking. I had the BoostLED mU135....not nearly as powerful or customizable.
Cool. I just set it, I Iove the settings so far. I cant wait to see more of them. What are you running your ai sol at now?

Sweet...those settings I posted are what I'm running at this moment. Make sure you make a build thread in the members tank forum I'd like to see your tank!

I've had my SOL blue for 2 weeks I'd like someone to analyze my times....any advice is welcome.

00/15/15 @ 11:30am 60m ramp

15/20/20 @ 1:00pm 5m ramp

35/35/35 @ 3:00pm 30m ramp

15/15/15 @ 6:00pm 60m ramp

00/05/05 @ 7:00pm 60m ramp

00/03/00 @ 8:00pm 120m ramp (lunar cycle)

00/00/00 @ 11:00pm 1m ramp (off)

Click my signature to access my tank build.

Looks fine except I don't understand why you have 00/00/00 L Off after the 8PM L ON. Doesn't that mean your getting lunar cycle for an our at night and then it goes to 0 every time? Also, I like longer timers with increased intensity. Just personal preference I guess, but I tried to mimic nature as much as possible. So where you have a 0-15 jump in 5 minutes at 1PM, I would have a 5-35 ramp for 120 minutes at 10AM, then 35-45 ramp for 30 minutes mid day, then a 45-20 (with more blue) ramp for 120 minutes leading to only blues, then eventually ending at 00/00/08 lunar ON.

Hope that made sense. Mostly just personal preference as long as the corals and stuff is responding well to whatever you have going on...

saltwatercoral the 3 sols look great mounted there, with the black housing they look like they are just part of the stand.

i got my sol super blue mounted over the weekend too. basically got two concrete anchors that hold 1300lbs pulling force each. so i'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere. the wife says it makes the condo look trendy..haha :huh:

6867536281_f6d5945970_z.jpg

6867539417_745cf0e5b9_z.jpg

right now i'm really just using two timers, (i have them set a bit later because i work the evening shift and i like to look at the tank when i get home)

1. 11am 26,26,26 30min ramp

2. 11:30pm 0,2,2 5min ramp

thunderstorm set to 50% chance 1per day

as things get acclimated to the new lights i'll start to play around with more timers but even in the one day i've been seeing improvements in the tank. looks like my GSP has gotten bigger, and the clown fish have started to explore the entire tank now rather then sticking to one side like they always did.

This looks awesome! And your wife is right! I'm really digging this cause its just my style.

I decided to email AI and I will paste their response below regarding the Vega. Responses are in blue.

• - WIll this unit be full spectrum or white/blue/royal blue? White/Blue/Royal Blue at this time, however, it will include a full color spectrum within its 3 colors. what does this even mean?
  • - What will be the dimensions of the unit? Dimensions to come but will be very similar to the Sol in Length and width, however, the height will be a bit shorter.
  • - WIll it cover more area then the Sol Blue? The Vega is meant for even distribution of spread. It will cover the same area of the Sol if not, a bit more.
  • - What is pricing looking like? will be be $499 MSRP.
  • - When will the item be released? Release date is yet undetermined, however, we anticipate it to be by mid 2012.

So basically what we are saying is that the Vega will be the exact same thing as the SOL, but skinnier and have less actual lights that cover more of an area. Great for beginner tanks that could use a little more PAR.

lol, maybe not true but they're not making me want to buy one for the same price as the SOL...

Edited by pschom

I've decided to sell my Nano and return back to T5's. I know without a doubt the color and beauty of my corals will not be the same under the T5's as it was under the LED's. I personally have not been one that had had much success, so there's still much more to learn. I know the lack of success is a result of my ignorance.

Before I purchased the AI Nano I had thought I'd done lots of research and found the answers to my questions. But, without ever having LED's there were questions to be answered that I didn't know to ask. As a result my tank has suffered. So, for now I'm going to go with what I know, vs. an experiment. I simply dont have the time at this point in my life to read ever night about LED's. Missing out on family time.

So for now, I'm going to go hang out with the old school T5's kats. Until one day, when I will return to the LED group. You all have some beautiful tanks!

Take care.

I've decided to sell my Nano and return back to T5's. I know without a doubt the color and beauty of my corals will not be the same under the T5's as it was under the LED's. I personally have not been one that had had much success, so there's still much more to learn. I know the lack of success is a result of my ignorance.

Before I purchased the AI Nano I had thought I'd done lots of research and found the answers to my questions. But, without ever having LED's there were questions to be answered that I didn't know to ask. As a result my tank has suffered. So, for now I'm going to go with what I know, vs. an experiment. I simply dont have the time at this point in my life to read ever night about LED's. Missing out on family time.

So for now, I'm going to go hang out with the old school T5's kats. Until one day, when I will return to the LED group. You all have some beautiful tanks!

Take care.

Maybe I'm sleepy but this is funny as sh.t. I'm being insensitive, but this makes no sense bro. Y don't you just turn your lights down and try again. The shift from T5 to led and back to T5 isn't going to help your tank either (depending on how long you've had the nano). Not gonna help your wallet either. I feel like I'm talking to my mom with all the drama. Your missing time with your family due to a fixture that's 90% plug and play.

Take care.

Maybe I'm sleepy but this is funny as sh.t. I'm being insensitive, but this makes no sense bro. Y don't you just turn your lights down and try again. The shift from T5 to led and back to T5 isn't going to help your tank either (depending on how long you've had the nano). Not gonna help your wallet either. I feel like I'm talking to my mom with all the drama. Your missing time with your family due to a fixture that's 90% plug and play.

Take care.

I'm glad you think it's funny.

Looks fine except I don't understand why you have 00/00/00 L Off after the 8PM L ON. Doesn't that mean your getting lunar cycle for an our at night and then it goes to 0 every time? Also, I like longer timers with increased intensity. Just personal preference I guess, but I tried to mimic nature as much as possible. So where you have a 0-15 jump in 5 minutes at 1PM, I would have a 5-35 ramp for 120 minutes at 10AM, then 35-45 ramp for 30 minutes mid day, then a 45-20 (with more blue) ramp for 120 minutes leading to only blues, then eventually ending at 00/00/08 lunar ON.

Hope that made sense. Mostly just personal preference as long as the corals and stuff is responding well to whatever you have going on...

Thanks for your response!

00/00/00 L off is at 11:00pm the lunar lights are on from 8-11pm. I don't really want to have the moonlights on all night. I'm still figuring out how the timers work I just set it like that so it turns the light off.

I definitely understand what your saying...I like the idea of that with longer ramp up times. I'll have to implement some of those settings into mine this weekend. Thanks!

So dramatic. You act like we will never see you again... Anyway no worries dude. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

No drama at all. Sorry you feel that way. Admittedly I'll return, may never leave....

I've received some very nice PM's and may be thinking of a new option, which includes keeping the Nano. :D

I've had my Nano for about a month now, but the mounting arm wouldn't work with my tank. Finally stopped procrastinating and built a mount for it. Let me know what you guys think.

post-35900-1329421970_thumb.jpg

post-35900-1329421940_thumb.jpg

This looks awesome! And your wife is right! I'm really digging this cause its just my style.

thanks man, the tank is in my living room so i coulden't have it all jankey looking lol

Flexin5 nice DIY skills and write up.

thanks again. i actually had a failed attempt, i bought two ikea light stands and some copper pipe...needless to say i kinda wasted money on it because it was awful looking and diden't support ####..lol it went right into the dumpster. decided to just keep it simple and that's how it turned out..lol

Edited by Flexin5
I've had my Nano for about a month now, but the mounting arm wouldn't work with my tank. Finally stopped procrastinating and built a mount for it. Let me know what you guys

Looks nice, but what the heck happened to your mini T5 light? Did you get mad at it cause it's such a cool concept and sleek design, but you can't seem to find a good use for it and it doesn't fit anywhere? Cause I did that with the exact same light once. Lol. I ended up using it on my kid's freshwater.

thanks man, the tank is in my living room so i coulden't have it all jankey looking lol

thanks again. i actually had a failed attempt, i bought two ikea light stands and some copper pipe...needless to say i kinda wasted money on it because it was awful looking and diden't support ####..lol it went right into the dumpster. decided to just keep it simple and that's how it turned out..lol

Lol 'jankey looking'. Yeah i hate when you have a cool idea and you waste like $35 on it. Your all happy in home depot cause you've got it all figured out. Then you feel like a dbag when I looks like your four year old made it. No success without failure I guess. And proper planning.

Looks nice, but what the heck happened to your mini T5 light? Did you get mad at it cause it's such a cool concept and sleek design, but you can't seem to find a good use for it and it doesn't fit anywhere? Cause I did that with the exact same light once. Lol. I ended up using it on my kid's freshwater.

Lol 'jankey looking'. Yeah i hate when you have a cool idea and you waste like $35 on it. Your all happy in home depot cause you've got it all figured out. Then you feel like a dbag when I looks like your four year old made it. No success without failure I guess. And proper planning.

LOL! exactley what happend. was at home depo, thought i had a good idea...made it..and yeah no.

on another note, i added another timer, and ended up melting a zoa frag. i don't really care too much about the paticular frag, i have two of them and they are just blah purple ones. everything else seem to be doing good tho, i moved the melted frag to the bottom and it looks like it's coming back.

so my schedual is:

10:30am 26w/26b/26rb - 15 min ramp

2:00pm 30w/30b/30rb - 30min ramp

4:30pm 26w/26b/26rb - 15min ramp

11:30pm - 0w/3b/3rb w/lunar - 5min ramp

thoughts?

LOL! exactley what happend. was at home depo, thought i had a good idea...made it..and yeah no.

on another note, i added another timer, and ended up melting a zoa frag. i don't really care too much about the paticular frag, i have two of them and they are just blah purple ones. everything else seem to be doing good tho, i moved the melted frag to the bottom and it looks like it's coming back.

so my schedual is:

thoughts?

What are the dimensions of your tank? I have an Aquastyle 9 - 12" x 12" and 14" deep with an AI nano and controller. What was your thinking behind your lighting settings. I'm still trying out different settings...

so my schedual is:

thoughts?

I guess the same as what I said above to BOMBREEF. I like longer ramp times with higher peak intensities. I think it mimics nature more. So where you have 10:30 15m 26, I would do like 9 90m 26 and so on with a few more timers. Then at the end of the day it's the opposite. So in between 430 and 1130, I would have like 6pm 120m ramp down to just the blues and so on. Make sense?

Just ordered my blue sol with controller and mounting kit:). So excited

Awesome first post!

What are the dimensions of your tank? I have an Aquastyle 9 - 12" x 12" and 14" deep with an AI nano and controller. What was your thinking behind your lighting settings. I'm still trying out different settings...

the dimensions of the tank are 20Lx10wx10h.

to tell you the truth, i really diden't want to bleach any coral. expecially my torch, frogspawns, or hammer; the zoa's i have alot of, and they are easier to replace but i just diden't want to loose anything. so my main concern was to just get things close to the old T5 light as possible and make small changes slowley from there.

I guess the same as what I said above to BOMBREEF. I like longer ramp times with higher peak intensities. I think it mimics nature more. So where you have 10:30 15m 26, I would do like 9 90m 26 and so on with a few more timers. Then at the end of the day it's the opposite. So in between 430 and 1130, I would have like 6pm 120m ramp down to just the blues and so on. Make sense?

ah makes total sense. have it mimic the sun rather than a T5 light. i'm going to play around with the timers again this weekend, its a long weekend here so i'm sure i'll have time.

so i'm thinking....

9am, 26w/26b/26rb w/90m ramp (at 10:30am peak)

12noon, 30w/30b/30rb w/120m ramp (peak at 2pm)

4pm - 26w/26b/26rb w/120m ramp (peak at 6pm)

9pm - 0w/3b/03rb w/150m ramp (peak at 11:30pm) w/lunar

Also, from what my buddy with the 15sols told me before i had the light, does the white light encourage more growth and the blue or royal blue encourage color?

Edited by Flexin5

my current settings

Time Ramp White Blue Royal Blue Lunar Cycle

6:30am 120 4 6 10 off

8:30am 120 10 13 16 off

10:30am 120 15 25 27 off

12:30pm 60 19 28 30 off

1:30pm 30 20 28 32 off

4:00pm 60 13 22 23 off

5:00pm 60 9 16 18 off

6:00pm 60 3 6 9 on

7:00pm 30 0 3 7 on

8:00pm 15 0 0 5 on

9:30pm 30 0 0 0 off

my current settings

Time Ramp White Blue Royal Blue Lunar Cycle

6:30am 120 4 6 10 off

8:30am 120 10 13 16 off

10:30am 120 15 25 27 off

12:30pm 60 19 28 30 off

1:30pm 30 20 28 32 off

4:00pm 60 13 22 23 off

5:00pm 60 9 16 18 off

6:00pm 60 3 6 9 on

7:00pm 30 0 3 7 on

8:00pm 15 0 0 5 on

9:30pm 30 0 0 0 off

are those for the AI Nano and what kind of tank do you have it over? How high above the waterline? Sorry for all the questions.

are those for the AI Nano and what kind of tank do you have it over? How high above the waterline? Sorry for all the questions.

Sorry for that, no this is for the Sol blue. It is over a 24g jbj nano cube and is roughly 10 inches or so off the water.. I started out only at 20% max and am working my way up..about 5% every week to week and a half. I have read with the sol blue the settings are going to be much lower then with the nano though. You can see pictures of it over my tank with my journal.. the link is in my signature.

Robert