Pod Your Reef

saltwatercoral
I have the AI Nano over my 28 gal NanoCube and you will see in my pic that it offers PLENTY of light for it!! No need for more expensive or larger SOL unit at all!!

Yea, yea... I ment to say NANO! LOL :lol:

Sounds like the NANO will be a great fit!

SouthFlorida_Tron
I have the AI Nano over my 28 gal NanoCube and you will see in my pic that it offers PLENTY of light for it!! No need for more expensive or larger SOL unit at all!!

Pfft I love overkill, sol over 15x15x15 :ninja:

Some people tell me that Im an OVERACHIEVER!!! LOL

Lol- I could totally say some follow the "bigger is better" philosophy but clearly it's all personal preference ;)

Seriously though, I think I'm going to go with the black Sol. (I know we all say this)... but when I up grade I can easily move the unit to the bigger tank and just throw the hood back on the biocube.

Now do I use conduit and figure out how to bend w/o bender and still look nice or go with hanging on ceiling...

Bonjour de France,

Dessoler je ne parle pas l'Anglais.

je vous envoi des photos de mon petit montage maison ,

une règle de maçon des vis des entretoises et le tour et jouer .

Patrick.

Traduction via Google.

Hello from France,

Dessoles I do not speak English.

I sent pictures of my little home assembly,

a rule of mason screws and spacers around and play.

Patrick.

dsc0030is.th.jpg

snv348671600x1200.th.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron
Lol- I could totally say some follow the "bigger is better" philosophy but clearly it's all personal preference ;)

Seriously though, I think I'm going to go with the black Sol. (I know we all say this)... but when I up grade I can easily move the unit to the bigger tank and just throw the hood back on the biocube.

Now do I use conduit and figure out how to bend w/o bender and still look nice or go with hanging on ceiling...

depending how far out you need em, these come in longer sizes :)

6385218811_2c61dcdb79_z.jpg

SOL Mounting by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

depending how far out you need em, these come in longer sizes :)

6385218811_2c61dcdb79_z.jpg

SOL Mounting by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

Thanks Tron! .... But... I happened to find the black Sol with controller and hanging mount.

Woo Hoo!!! I'm so excited!!!! omgomgomg:happydance:

Can't wait to post pics and become official! :D

saltwatercoral
Bonjour de France,

Dessoler je ne parle pas l'Anglais.

je vous envoi des photos de mon petit montage maison ,

une règle de maçon des vis des entretoises et le tour et jouer .

Patrick.

Traduction via Google.

Hello from France,

Dessoles I do not speak English.

I sent pictures of my little home assembly,

a rule of mason screws and spacers around and play.

Patrick.

dsc0030is.th.jpg

snv348671600x1200.th.jpg

Hello vyky! I don't know French. But welcome to the Aqua Illumination Club! Your aquarium looks very nice! 2 SOL BLUE's, very cool!

I translated this for you:

Bonjour vyky! Je ne sais pas le français. Mais bienvenue au club Aqua Illumination! Votre aquarium est très joli! 2 SOL BLEU, très cool!

I currently have a 150 gallon tank which is 6 ft. long, I am looking to get an AI system. How many nanos or sols would I need for my set up?

IMG_4788.jpg

I would do the SOL's and not the NANO's. For a 6ft long tank I would go with 4 SOL BLUE. Lets see what every one else recomends.

Thanks Tron! .... But... I happened to find the black Sol with controller and hanging mount.

Woo Hoo!!! I'm so excited!!!! omgomgomg:happydance:

Can't wait to post pics and become official! :D

YES DO IT DO IT!!!

saltwatercoral
I currently have a 150 gallon tank which is 6 ft. long, I am looking to get an AI system. How many nanos or sols would I need for my set up?

IMG_4788.jpg

If u can wait. I would go with 3 of the new Pheonix! They can be controlled wirelessly as well!

It took six years. Lots of ups and downs believe me.

Six years with the same tank or different setups? Also, I definitely believe you. I've had my fair share in two...

From what I just looked through it looks like a NANO would be minimal for coverage. You could make it work by lifting higher but you would have light spillage. Personaly I would go with the SOL BLUE (if you have the extra $$$) Also dont forget to het the controller as well! You will need to go topless (with your BC29). There are some here that have done this with no problem. Check out SouthFlorida_Tron's BC14. its retired and he moved to a bigger tank but it will give you an idea for a mount and maybe some other stuff!

I have a JBJ 28 nano and definately would recommend the SOL BLUE for this size of tank(similar to the BC29), not the nano. Though I am keeping SPS. Im sure if you were keeping just softies and lps then the nano would be fine raised up and nearer to 100% brightness. The price diff is not that big though so... why not get something that you can use on a slightly larger tank?

I'm soon to beome a member of the AI Club :D (I hope ;)...)

My biggest deciding factor is do I go with the Sol or Nano???

I have a mixed reef 29gal biocube... I have read, and read, and talked with several people with mixed comments as to which is the better choice. I know if I go bigger, I'll have to hang higher and may not be able to turn it up as much for fear of sun burning my corals B)

I'd love to hear what everyone's thoughts are with similar size tanks before I kiss my $$$ away lol

-Becky

If your going to stay with the biocube for a while (like a couple years) I'd get the nano. If you think you may want a larger setup at some point get the SOL. I have the SOL on the BC29 and it's great, but I'll never turn it beyond 50/50. I may change the outside lenses to decrease the light spread around the tank. The nano seems perfect on the biocube if you crank it up to at or near 100% (not sure about sps maybe some one else can help there). As far as 'not burning your corals' my question is: why would you care what the intensity was as long as your getting good growth and color from the corals? So hope that helps. IMO Nano=perfect size for your tank but your gonna want more; SOL=awesome light allowing you to upgrade down the road. Cause you know you'll want to!

Edited by pschom
I have a JBJ 28 nano and definately would recommend the SOL BLUE for this size of tank(similar to the BC29), not the nano. Though I am keeping SPS. Im sure if you were keeping just softies and lps then the nano would be fine raised up and nearer to 100% brightness. The price diff is not that big though so... why not get something that you can use on a slightly larger tank?

Exactly my thoughts too! :)

I may have to aquascape my rock again(grrrrrrrrrr..) to make a little more shade for LPS but I'm not to worried. Just have to play around and see who is happy where.

I'm also thinking I could position the light a little further back since sps will be towards back of tank anyways.. Just a thought.

I'm already tracking the shipment -even though there is "no record" of it yet. lol

Super excited and can't wait to hang that bad boy up!!!

Maybe I'll start a thread on my tank finally too :)

You'd really be fine with either and the cost diff is marginal $100, but the Nano is plenty of light to keep anything in your tank including SPS and Clam. If you think you will migrate to a larger tank and $ is not an issue, go SOL, if not Nano has plenty of punch and spread for your tank. I personally like the look of the nano over the tank better. Like the minimalist look and very small footprint. Bottomline Nano is plenty, Go Sol if you prefer and money is not a consideration. For that matter I'd wait for the Phoenix though. Justin at AI indicated that they are working on an iPhone app for the Phoenix which would be sweet! However I do not regret the Nano purchase and would certainly not base your decision on it being "not enough" for your tank because it is more than enough. AI themselves confirmed that it is plenty of light to keep anything in a BC29. After all we are talking 18" from bottom of my Nano to sand bed... Just personal preference I guess. either decision, you will be happy. Ahh hell just go with the phoenix!!! =)

saltwatercoral
Yea I was planning on waiting for the "Phoenix" anyone have a more specific release date? Or is still at least before February 2012?

I have actualy just received an email from AI today. It looks like the latest is going to be around December-January! I know it seems long but December is right around the corner! Man I can't wait

Yes sir, I think I'm going to sell this tank and then build one exactly the way I want it from the ground up.

I have actualy just received an email from AI today. It looks like the latest is going to be around December-January! I know it seems long but December is right around the corner! Man I can't wait
Hello vyky! I don't know French. But welcome to the Aqua Illumination Club! Your aquarium looks very nice! 2 SOL BLUE's, very cool!

I translated this for you:

Bonjour vyky! Je ne sais pas le français. Mais bienvenue au club Aqua Illumination! Votre aquarium est très joli! 2 SOL BLEU, très cool!

I would do the SOL's and not the NANO's. For a 6ft long tank I would go with 4 SOL BLUE. Lets see what every one else recomends.

YES DO IT DO IT!!!

Merci Saltwatercoral :lol:

saltwatercoral
Exactly my thoughts too! :)

I may have to aquascape my rock again(grrrrrrrrrr..) to make a little more shade for LPS but I'm not to worried. Just have to play around and see who is happy where.

I'm also thinking I could position the light a little further back since sps will be towards back of tank anyways.. Just a thought.

I'm already tracking the shipment -even though there is "no record" of it yet. lol

Super excited and can't wait to hang that bad boy up!!!

Maybe I'll start a thread on my tank finally too :)

This is going to be Awesome! And YES make a build thread so I can attach it to your name for everyone to see! Can’t wait to add ya!