inTank Media Baskets

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

Try lemon juice directly on the paly. Works for aiptasia.

I have actually been using peroxide (lab grade, diluted to 3%) to treat GHA and some cyano break outs. Seriously works like a charm. Within an hour or so I started to see the cyano loosening on the sand bed. Within 24 hours I had cyano and GHA gone. I am a believer and will be using it frequently.

I even inhjected them with lemon juice, peroxide, kalk wasser and boiling water. nope.

How have you been using this? Whole tank Treatment of Target Treatment?

I only saw this for aiptasia. Seemed to get a lot of positive results - it was a direct injection

I even inhjected them with lemon juice, peroxide, kalk wasser and boiling water. nope.

Dang! Set them on fire?

• Like 1

I only saw this for aiptasia. Seemed to get a lot of positive results - it was a direct injection

I actually meant your treatment for the Cyano and the GH Algae. You are treating with Peroxide yes? Was it a full tank treatment or was it a spot treatment?

I am trying to understand the methods others are using and their success's / Failures.

jedimasterben

I just got home a short while ago. I turned the tank lights on, and to my surprise, there was an incredibly tiny amount of dinos. It seems that large doses of peroxide kill it quickly.

I'll man up to my mistake. Work got really busy and tank cleaning got behind just a little. Clowns were happy to have something to host.

Check out this tank shot from last night! before is all got cleaned!!

3E9F3849-orig_zpsd7b4dd8b.jpg

That is after a week of 10ml per day dosing of peroxide. It started browing the GHL and bleaching the caulerpa pretty good. 4 hours of cleaning and the tank is back to normal.

One major plus with the peroxide is it really loosened the GHA. Most pieces of LR just shed the stuff swirling it in a bucket of water. 3-4 minutes in a peroxide dip and it was good to go.

Shot from this morning....corals were still a bit pissy, but slowly coming back around.

069EFFCE-orig_zpsbbcbad94.jpg

• Like 1

Did you try just some water changes and a snail/hermit? /sarcasm

You'll probably have to retouch some spots in a week or so on the hardier algae, but man is that a complete change over one could be very proud of. I am jealous you mostly had hair algae though, I had bryopsis starting to go that direction. :mellow: But this thread saved my tank from the worst of it.

Chris can I use that before and after pic on the rcentral thread that is nice!

Yeah, that is fine. Just make sure to note that it was bucket rinsed and just didn't disappear. I would guess about 90% of the GHA rinsed right off. Some of the stuff in the cracks had to be scrubbed out. BUT, I know 15 years ago, before we knew about peroxide, you'd spend 15 minutes per piece with a scrub brush just to knock it down. :) OR worse off, have to sun bake it and kill the LR.

It 5 days of two doses of 3%---5ml per day. (28g NC)

It 5 days of two doses of 3%---5ml per day. (28g NC)

• So are you saying your dosed 2x a day at 2.5ml for 5days to equal 5ml day?
  • Did you add it to the tank directly or drip it slowly in some way?
  • Did you add carbon or anything else during the treatment?
  • Did you increase your amount or frequency of water changes during this treatment?
  • Did you run a skimmer at all?

I have a massive GHA outbreak in my RSM130D.... I keep getting it knocked back through manual removal (and that sucks) but it comes back. I am running a LNS with a light bioload.... running a high output skimmer and still can't get the best of it. I'm thinking of dosing H202 for a week and seeing what happens. My only downfall is that I can't take the rock out. All of the rock are "secured" together in a larger ATOL and can't come out. They were built inside the tank with zippy ties, pegged, and cemented together on one large mass. I'll have to dose, filter heavily and remove as much biomass as possible with filters and a net.

• So are you saying your dosed 2x a day at 2.5ml for 5days to equal 5ml day?
  • Did you add it to the tank directly or drip it slowly in some way?
  • Did you add carbon or anything else during the treatment?
  • Did you increase your amount or frequency of water changes during this treatment?
  • Did you run a skimmer at all?

I have a massive GHA outbreak in my RSM130D.... I keep getting it knocked back through manual removal (and that sucks) but it comes back. I am running a LNS with a light bioload.... running a high output skimmer and still can't get the best of it. I'm thinking of dosing H202 for a week and seeing what happens. My only downfall is that I can't take the rock out. All of the rock are "secured" together in a larger ATOL and can't come out. They were built inside the tank with zippy ties, pegged, and cemented together on one large mass. I'll have to dose, filter heavily and remove as much biomass as possible with filters and a net.

10 ml per day......basically took an old infant tylonel 5ml syringe we had filled it up. Put it in the tank and spot treated all the grape caulerpa I had, Power heads spread it around the rest of the tank. First two days I had my 9002 skimmer running. I took a turkey baster and started blasting the stuff off. It blew off much easier than I figured it would which I can't say was that good since I had powdered algae floating everywhere. Most of it was just passing right through my stock net.

I removed the skimmer and dumped in the stock media basket and let that collect as much of the stuff as it would. I blasted it again the 4th day and has the same huge cloud effects. At this point it was either go buy a cheap hang on back mechanical filter at walmart to pull the stuff out of the water or just rinse it all out in a bucket. I just chose the bucket method.

If you can't get the rock out, you should be able to vacuum a majority of it off. Shut your power head off, blast it off and make sure you have a HOB filter in the same area so it sucks it up.

• Like 1

Thank you Chris. I now have my work cut out for me over the next several days. I have a HOB filter I may install during "Blow Off" periods to help collect the junk.

I'll take pictures and post my progress along the way.

How did you come up with the 5ml/dose amount? I'm running a 34g system (no sump) so I'm guessing I have about 28-30 gallons of volume to work with.

THANK YOU!!

Thank you Chris. I now have my work cut out for me over the next several days. I have a HOB filter I may install during "Blow Off" periods to help collect the junk.

I'll take pictures and post my progress along the way.

How did you come up with the 5ml/dose amount? I'm running a 34g system (no sump) so I'm guessing I have about 28-30 gallons of volume to work with.

THANK YOU!!

Reading through the 40 some pages of this thread, it seemed some guys were using 2.5ml per 10g. Some were using more. I tried the higher dose the first couple days and nothing flinched at it. (Corals, Shrimp, fish) So I kept it up. I dont have any SPS or really sensitive corals so watch what you have.

You can try just spot treating one rock at a time with a lower dose and see how that goes.

• Like 1

I'll take some pictures tonight (before shots). I just hope no one breaks down my door and arrests me for "tank abuse" when you see just how bad it really is. LOL

So using your logic (and I'm assuming ALL responsibility here) I would think I would need to do 3x 5.0mL a day (estimating around 30g of water volume) and see how they react. I do have some SPS and in fact some new ones on my frag rack that I might move out until after the treatments are complete. Or I might leave them as a test subject and see how things react.

I'm thinking I would dose right when I get home from work (~5pm), again around 8pm, and again at bedtime. I could toss an early morning before work treatment into the mix but not sure how consistent I would be... I'm NOT a morning person at all LOL!

I've been dosing 4ml in my 40gal over the last 3days, nothing noticeable yet, I don't think it'll be quite so fast. I just looked at the bottle and it expired in 2010.. Damn it! Gotta get a new one

I actually meant your treatment for the Cyano and the GH Algae. You are treating with Peroxide yes? Was it a full tank treatment or was it a spot treatment?

I am trying to understand the methods others are using and their success's / Failures.

Ah, yes, I did whole tank treatment with a 30% peroxide solution. That is lab grade - you won't be able to buy that. But I diluted it to a 3% solution to treat the tank.

3% peroxide treatment is 1ml per 10gallons of water, so 1/4 tsp (teaspoon, NOT tablespoon) per 10 gallons. I did that over a 3-4 day period once each day. My problems didn't last long.

Cyano did come back, but that's because of phosphate leaching from my DSB.

I'll take some pictures tonight (before shots). I just hope no one breaks down my door and arrests me for "tank abuse" when you see just how bad it really is. LOL

So using your logic (and I'm assuming ALL responsibility here) I would think I would need to do 3x 5.0mL a day (estimating around 30g of water volume) and see how they react. I do have some SPS and in fact some new ones on my frag rack that I might move out until after the treatments are complete. Or I might leave them as a test subject and see how things react.

I'm thinking I would dose right when I get home from work (~5pm), again around 8pm, and again at bedtime. I could toss an early morning before work treatment into the mix but not sure how consistent I would be... I'm NOT a morning person at all LOL!

If you have a number of corals or SPS, I would start in the lower end of the dosing 2.5ml per 10g. There are a few things listed in the thread that are sensitive. If you are not willing to risk losing it, start low.

Or take it out like you said. Everything I had is pretty hardy stuff. Leather corals, mushrooms, Zoas and some buttom polyps. Nothing super expensive or hard to get. If I lost something, I want not too worried.

It was said shrimp are sensitive to the peroxide. My cleaner did not seem to mind it at all.

Now I just need to order a new CUC minus the hermit crabs. I have a hunch my tank was at one point so clean, the hermits ventured into the land of hunting my CUC. I'm sure that did not help the situation.

Chris: I believe only certain shrimp were shown to be sensitive, cleaners were shown to not mind it as much I believe. Peppermint shrimp are shown to be extremely sensitive if I remember correctly.

It's funny because I'd done H202 dips of coral before with GREAT results but just never bought into the Tank Dosing. I sort of attempted it one time but I didn't do it strong enough or often enough to do any good.

Now as a coral dip.. Oh Yea Baby!

Here is me actually "dipping" a badly infected frag colony

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/Coral%20Dip/?action=view&current=Peroxide_Dip_PalysA_7_21_2011.mp4'>th_Peroxide_Dip_PalysA_7_21_2011.jpg

Here is BEFORE (on a different frag)

DSC00331.jpg

After

DSC00341.jpg

• Like 1
Ah, yes, I did whole tank treatment with a 30% peroxide solution. That is lab grade - you won't be able to buy that. But I diluted it to a 3% solution to treat the tank.

3% peroxide treatment is 1ml per 10gallons of water, so 1/4 tsp (teaspoon, NOT tablespoon) per 10 gallons. I did that over a 3-4 day period once each day. My problems didn't last long.

Cyano did come back, but that's because of phosphate leaching from my DSB.

Thank you for your reply. I have read every page of this thread, Twice, and have spent Countless Hrs researching Bryopsis. I did spot treatment, draining the tank, dipped rocks, and has success. However, it didn't last. The Bryopsis started growing again in spots that I could not drain or dip.I am in week 3 of using Tech M and am just not seeing results like I had expected. I am considering dosing 3% on top of the Elevated Mag levels. I have not seen anyone try this, but this is a war that I will win!!

I would guess part of the process once you clear the tank is to insure you figure out the reason for the outbreak and are depleting the tank of phosphates (GFO, Chempure, Ect.) and making sure your CUC is in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and Gal's

So iv been running into a minor algea problem, its not out of control but i think i brought it in with a frag a few months ago.

I know everyone said its ok to do the dips on softies, but has anyone tried them on any yumas or florida recordias? I have one rock with 4 of them that has alittle algea on it and id like to dip it. but i dont want to hurt my yumas and recodias. if anyone has had success with them let me know how you did it.. if i messed it thanks i looked up till about page 20 and that was already a few hours of reading lol. thanks guys

I don't recall any dips on those

But you can still lift out the frag and spot treat only the bad algae, it doesn't grow on the polyp only the base and might be tangled around the polyp. I strongly feel they will be fine. I would use a dilution of half tank water half peroxide new bottle, dropper on the bad spots, let sit in the air two mins, rinse reinstall

Take before and after pics pls!!