Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

Sure it normally works, if you have some amazing strain of it that can grow back that large in two weeks itd be the first Ive seen but anything is possible in reefing.

just for our learning and timeline tracking it would be really neat to have a dated picture progression of a retreatment using a new, unopened bottle. if the bottle isn't brand new that causes this problem many times.

In our reefcentral thread there were a few bryopsis users who had grow back, it happens on some tanks.

In that case peroxide is helpful for the initial kill, to remove the biomass, and then other preventative measures may be needed. if I put some of my 35% on that it would burn it sideways and not come back, working with 3% has these drawbacks lol

but at least 3% won't cook your retina like a huevo over easy, this fear I carry each time when dosing 35% into my little tank lol.

You aren't supposed to be having any algae problems with the ATS online whats up with magical cures lately

:)

You aren't supposed to be having any algae problems with the ATS online whats up with magical cures lately

:)

The "magical cure" is going to start working it's magic soon.......it needs a few weeks to get going.

Until then, I'll use the other magical cure, Peroxide, to treat it. :happydance:

Does this red algae (is it called red turf) respond to nondiluted 2 minute treatment out of the water??

If not, any other tips.

See photo

P.S. Brandon429.....obviously, the algae scrubber has not started working its "magic" yet.

post-70500-0-46780100-1359589261_thumb.jpg

Ha lol it's ok they will tune up well enough in time. That kind of system was part of the earliest reef tanks in the 60s its a good method. Yes I do believe that algae will succumb but it usually takes about a week after treatment to die.

Dug did you mention isolating the ats system in some way from the peroxide just making sure we arent making your ats not grow!

Is there any affects know to cleaner shrimp with full tank dosing?

Is the general conscensus to use 3% @ 2.5ml per 10 gallons. I have a NC28.

For dip mixing is it 100% in a 50/50 salt water mix for 3-5 minutes?

Short coral list if anyone thinks anything might be affected:

one ORA green leather coral

red mushroom

eagle eye zoas

button polups

torch coral.

Red grove mangroves

even though some in tank treaters are posting success with cleaner shrimp enough of them have died in tank to list them as sensitive, plan on a loss if they do come into contact at any dilution we always say...

regarding the dips, yes the corals you listed have been dipped before but the highlights in the thread have been from careful placement of the peroxide around the base of the corals and not actually on the polyp...spot treatments have been preferable

regarding the dips, yes the corals you listed have been dipped before but the highlights in the thread have been from careful placement of the peroxide around the base of the corals and not actually on the polyp...spot treatments have been preferable

Yes, I would agree. If you're taking the rock out, I would just use a paint brush to paint on non-diluted 3% directly onto the algae, let it sit 2-5 minutes and then dip it in salt water to rinse it before putting it back in the tank. This has worked very well for me.

even though some in tank treaters are posting success with cleaner shrimp enough of them have died in tank to list them as sensitive, plan on a loss if they do come into contact at any dilution we always say...

Ok, risking the killing the shrimp is not in my plan so I'll mix a 50/50 solution and dip all the non-coral LR and just stright drip the coral pieces. Tank is a little over grown.....have to get some before and after shots.

saw this thread and thought id comment,i tried this with a zoa frag that had gotten covered in Green Hair Algae, and it worked really well, i just hope i didnt wait too long to treat, i treated the day before yesterday, a polyp or two stopped flourescing under blue light, but most are still flourescing. so im holding hopes, anyway its a great method, and will use it in the future if needed(course after checking the enviornment first).

So reading the post about the tank crash from stirring the sand bed moving rocks , now the question become do I dose the entire tank and run the risk of something having an adverse reaction to the peroxide.

Or Pull it all out and possibly inadvertently stir the sand pulling the rock up and releasing something from that? 1-1/2"-2" sand bed in my year old NC28.

Got a coin......someone call it in the air!!!

Unless you want to lose your shrimp, I would dip and rinse thoroughly. Just don't manhandle the rocks as you take them out. Take your time and plan it out beforehand and talk yourself through the rock breakdown part.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brandon, after my PM with you about gelidium, I decided to roll up my sleeves and peroxide it using a concentrated dose. My previous attempts are a peroxide treatment had failed when I was applying the peroxide underwater to the problem areas.

I drained my tank of water to the level of the rocks that I wanted to treat. I was lucky because these are the tallest rocks in my tank. Then I used a pipette to target full strength peroxide on the gelidium. I even dropped some on palys that I would rather not have.

Before

20130213_153928.jpg

After

20130218_195614.jpg

:wub:

I will report earnestly when found!! One additional prediction...I can't guarantee its gone for good, it took me a year of repeats to totally get the full mass out of my tank. its been about 7 mos now since Ive seen, or treated for it, so repeats may be needed. nothin is perfect lol but just look at those fine after pics

jedimasterben

I've been both target dosing and broadcast dosing 100-150mL of 3% peroxide into my tank to help deal with an incredibly resilient strain of dinoflagellates. Any coral they touch loses flesh in those areas within hours. I was carbon dosing, but it only fueled them, even with dosing gigantic amounts of peroxide. I stopped that and only did peroxide, and i have slowly been winning. At first, it didnt seem affected by it, but then i started noticing less and less popping up, and i have seen zero corals melt or have any ill effects from such a large dose. Roughly 90ish-gallons total water volume.

• Like 1

So I started pulling out the large clumps of algae and threw it in a tub. Wanted to see the peroxide work so I dumped in a healthy does. Is anything supposed to happen? I thought peroxide normally bubbled? After 12 hours the stuff looks the same. I thought I read it turned it white pretty quick.

Its 3% peroxide from walgreens.

it can take 24-48 hours to die off I bet it will in a couple days

peroxide only bubbles when it contacts catalase positive organisms, I dont believe algae have that complement but bacterial communities on the algae sure might. it will still kill whether or not there are initial bubbles, unless the algae is a particularly resistant strain which we dont see much of

it can take 24-48 hours to die off I bet it will in a couple days

peroxide only bubbles when it contacts catalase positive organisms, I dont believe algae have that complement but bacterial communities on the algae sure might. it will still kill whether or not there are initial bubbles, unless the algae is a particularly resistant strain which we dont see much of

Thanks, will peroxide have any killing effect on Grape Caulerpa ?

jedimasterben

I've upped my dosing as of a couple of days ago to 200mL daily - 100mL in the morning about 7AM, 100mL in the evening about the same time. Over the past two days I've seen a drastic decrease in dinoflagellates, and I have changed nothing else.

wish we could find a cure for palys though. :(

Try lemon juice directly on the paly. Works for aiptasia.

I have actually been using peroxide (lab grade, diluted to 3%) to treat GHA and some cyano break outs. Seriously works like a charm. Within an hour or so I started to see the cyano loosening on the sand bed. Within 24 hours I had cyano and GHA gone. I am a believer and will be using it frequently.

Try lemon juice directly on the paly. Works for aiptasia.

I have actually been using peroxide (lab grade, diluted to 3%) to treat GHA and some cyano break outs. Seriously works like a charm. Within an hour or so I started to see the cyano loosening on the sand bed. Within 24 hours I had cyano and GHA gone. I am a believer and will be using it frequently.

How have you been using this? Whole tank Treatment of Target Treatment?