inTank Media Baskets

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

Hey guys as you can see i posted 2-3 days ago about dipping my one rock with some of my small yumas on it, I had a tiny bit of GHA and a small amount of Cyano. i did a 50/50 solution and just set my rock into it. Left it in there for about 2 min took it out rinsed it and put it back. I can tell you my yumas did not look happy for at least 24 hours they were very small and shriviled up. but 2 -3 days later they are back to normal and not a drop of algea on my rock.

I also dipped a rock of zoa's and i had something interesting happen, i left my zoa in the solution for to long maybe 7-8 min i got distracted digging around in my tank looking for more things to dip. i noticed after i rinsed it and put it back it had a bunch of bubbles stuck to all my zoa's like stuck, and didnt want to come off and when i tried to take the bubbles off they pop harshly. so i just left it and 2 days later my zoas are fine and all the bubbles gone. just curious if this happened to anyone else. and im sure it happened cuz i left them in for to long but they are ok now.

yes I have seen that happen, it looks like leprosy on the zoanthids. Its scary, candy coral lps will do the same thing...the flesh bubbles up it looks terrible. I have no idea why they don't die after contorting like that....just part of this mystery of peroxide. I was purposely trying to kill some zoanthids with 20 minute contact with 35% undiluted rocket fuel peroxide...they bubbled, i thought I beat them. not so! back to normal next day!

Polarcollision

Hey Brandon - where in these 44 pages is info about dipping zoas in peroxide? :-) I have a rust colored dusty growth on just the zoas that's making them melt.

hey man I cant find them either lol. but I can summarize. if you considered the ones buried in here, and the pictured examples of zoanthid treatment on the rc thread, zo's make the top list as the worlds most peroxide resistant coral we keep. so far.

You have me purposely trying to kill them with a percentage stronger than anyone else doses their tank with. 20 mins or so direct contact non diluted directly to a patch of zos, they keep reproducing and wrecking my stuff...

an estimated 100 or so testimonies on these threads about dips from all dilutions at all time frames. some do 50 50 dips for 5 mins, no harm. some do 10 mins in straight 3% in a cup, no harm etc. out of potentially hundreds of reports theres one report on here of some dying after treatment but its an outlier, and zo's on the decline anyway may not ever come back, who knows.

I feel comfortable telling you that you can't do wrong no matter how you treat yours for any situation. I expect whatever that red stuff is to die. pls post before and after pics! If they were my good colonies and I wanted to be safe, Id do a 3 min dip in 50 50 tank water 3%, rinse and resintall and make after pics in two days

if they cant be removed, Id do a drain and spot treat in the tank being mindful of weaklings like cleaner shrimp.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

hey man I cant find them either lol. but I can summarize. if you considered the ones buried in here, and the pictured examples of zoanthid treatment on the rc thread, zo's make the top list as the worlds most peroxide resistant coral we keep. so far.

You have me purposely trying to kill them with a percentage stronger than anyone else doses their tank with. 20 mins or so direct contact non diluted directly to a patch of zos, they keep reproducing and wrecking my stuff...

an estimated 100 or so testimonies on these threads about dips from all dilutions at all time frames. some do 50 50 dips for 5 mins, no harm. some do 10 mins in straight 3% in a cup, no harm etc. out of potentially hundreds of reports theres one report on here of some dying after treatment but its an outlier, and zo's on the decline anyway may not ever come back, who knows.

I feel comfortable telling you that you can't do wrong no matter how you treat yours for any situation. I expect whatever that red stuff is to die. pls post before and after pics! If they were my good colonies and I wanted to be safe, Id do a 3 min dip in 50 50 tank water 3%, rinse and resintall and make after pics in two days

if they cant be removed, Id do a drain and spot treat in the tank being mindful of weaklings like cleaner shrimp.

Thanks Brandon. I'll take pics and see if I can get some from the microscope as well.

what king of pest algae problem you faced. I want to know more about that algae because i think it is in my tank also but not sure about it that it is exactly the same as yours.

My experience.

I had an algae rock in my 20 with nothing on it. I poured peroxide all over it, rinsed with water, put back in tank. Apparently I missed a pocket of peroxide because the entire tank reacted and my cleaner shrimp died. 2 days later, everything has recovered nicely and most of the algae in the tank is turning white. I must have missed a lot of peroxide or it doesn't take much to kill algae.

I also poured peroxide over a frag of blue zoanthids and clove polyps. Both looked mad afterwards, and bubbles stuck to the zoas, but all recovered without issue.

Oh, and it appears I may have finally killed my xenia ... perhaps it's sensitive to peroxide?

yes xenia and lysmata cleaners have been on the known sensitives list and I know thats hard to find in 40+ pages lol. thats one of the imperfections of peroxide, sorry about your $30 loss those rascals are expensive where I live!

If I had to estimate the list is in between pages 10 - 20 lol

Xenia is coming back, the little bastards. :)

I can't believe how good my 20 looks. The water is so darn clear, bubble algae has all turned white, corals look better than ever, and bugs and worms still alive. I know I've read this reaction over and over, but it really must be witnessed to be believed. I got really lucky, apparently, in accidentally dosing just the right amount.

It would be interesting if altering the redox (which I've tried to understand but is way beyond me) is one of the things that really improves tank health.

• Like 1

Hey guys. I have not been here in sometime. But my Bryopsis is 100% gone since dosing. However I have had cyano start almost immediately using peroxide.. Is this normal? I cant get rid of it!

We can just follow the usual protocols for cyano removal, it may or may not be affected by peroxide and whatever the peroxide killed. it is comparatively not as bad as bryopsis thats for sure! common cyano removal methods:

-siphon all of it out, then increase flow in the tank, conduct a huge water change. post tank pics so we can see

-margarita snails have been good cuc to eat it, when they choose to. hit or miss

-lights out plus repeated removal of cyano has worked for some

-medical routes such as boyds or various red slime removers. I would choose the first option

NirvanaandTool

Do you guys think this is a candidate for treating with peroxide? It seems like brown cyano to me. Doesnt look like dinos.

2013-02-27_19-25-15_50.jpg

2013-02-27_19-25-31_369.jpg

2013-02-27_19-25-25_734.jpg

I've tried to beat it the old fashioned way, large water changes, siphoning it out, skimming like crazy, macro in the display, macro in the fuge but it always comes back within a few days.

This is in a 40B with 29 sump with a SWC 120 skimmer with 2 waspfish that get fed 3x a week. CUC doesnt touch it (nerites, astrea, cerith, pincushion urchin) or doesnt consume enough to make a difference..Nutrient wise I cant see it getting much but I guess its coming from somewhere.

I think you could tankwide dose that algae to kill it, or just lift rocks and treat externally first to see how fast it grows back if at all. I say give it a run w follow up pics!

• Like 1

Is there anyway to do a list of known safe to treat/unsafe to treat corals and livestock? Possibly update the first post so it's easy to find. I'm pretty sure my cleaner shrimp met his demise bc I missed information that they are sensitive to peroxide.

NirvanaandTool

I think you could tankwide dose that algae to kill it, or just lift rocks and treat externally first to see how fast it grows back if at all. I say give it a run w follow up pics!

Cant remove em. The structure is threaded and cemented together into 2 large towers. The few rocks that arent attached could be treated externally though as a test.

I'll give that a shot and post back before treating the whole tank.

50/50 solution for treating externally?

Do you guys think this is a candidate for treating with peroxide? It seems like brown cyano to me. Doesnt look like dinos.

2013-02-27_19-25-15_50.jpg

2013-02-27_19-25-31_369.jpg

2013-02-27_19-25-25_734.jpg

I've tried to beat it the old fashioned way, large water changes, siphoning it out, skimming like crazy, macro in the display, macro in the fuge but it always comes back within a few days.

This is in a 40B with 29 sump with a SWC 120 skimmer with 2 waspfish that get fed 3x a week. CUC doesnt touch it (nerites, astrea, cerith, pincushion urchin) or doesnt consume enough to make a difference..Nutrient wise I cant see it getting much but I guess its coming from somewhere.

Shut the pumps of and dose the tank with a syringe. Squirt the peroxide directly onto the heaviest areas, turn the pumps back on after a minute or two. More or less spot treat, but it will end up tank wide. I did this with my grape calerpa.

• Like 1

Is there anyway to do a list of known safe to treat/unsafe to treat corals and livestock? Possibly update the first post so it's easy to find. I'm pretty sure my cleaner shrimp met his demise bc I missed information that they are sensitive to peroxide.

a sticky of the list of known sensitives and tolerants would solve that problem but the mods must have enough requests from various parties to sticky anything. a simplified list of tolerants and intolerants and common dosing amounts would save so many headaches on a forty page thread, would have saved your shrimp too.

current list of sensitives and not sensitives:

sensitives:

-lysmata cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp #1 most sensitive of all

-anemones have shown stress to treatment but no deaths reported yet

-coralline bleaches but comes back.

-xenia and cespitularia

-hermodice fireworms common in LR are highly sensitive but not usually to the common tankwide dosing of 1ml per ten gallons.

Decorative macro algae will usually be affected for obvious reasons

The statements above encompass the range of dose experiments collected in the thread. It is a reflection of feedback given from here and the reefcentral nanos forum peroxide thread, extreme treatments such as a 48 hour bath in straight peroxide are not considered for obvious reasons, that would kill any marine animal.

Tolerants:

-filtration bacteria, the life forms assumed most susceptible to peroxide (label says use as antiseptic) are the most tolerant of any animal in our tank likely due to dilution. No post treatment test has ever revealed changes in nitrification abilities of our systems. Even gross overdoses didnt recycle the tank, those have been posted. There is no known dosage amount that we know of to affect filtration bacteria

-zoanthids: of all species treated, zoantharia are the most tolerant coral/colonial anem, with no known dosage or application method shown lethal, not even direct extended contact of 35% peroxide applied out of tank. We have one report here of a loss of zos, and the pictured showed zoanthids that were long and stringy and detached from mutual bases as healthy colonies would never be, I suspect the colony was in decline beforehand.

-all LPS corals have been shown tolerant. I know of no species we could list as intolerant. Even in the gross overdose threads, the LPS survived although they required some healing time to build new tissue. SPS corals and large clams have shown tolerance as well, being part of several in tank treatments posted/linked here.

-benthic life (live rock life, worms, pods etc) is shown resoundingly tolerant of 1:10 doses in-tank which are very popular. Spot treatments and dips of whole rocks has killed some pods, much like predation from fish. It is not an inordinant number or they would be listed as sensitives.

-coral banded shrimp for some reason are highly resistant to peroxide, no reported loss even from accidental direct contact (my tank multiple times)

-Fish: we have had no reports of sensitivities in any common reef tank fish kept. Peroxide and fish only marine systems have a history older than 30 years, fish interaction and peroxide is likely the most known aspect of using peroxide in the aquarium. Google it

Recommended order of operations in dosing:

-do external spot treatments where possible, take out your target rocks. this allows you to target the algae only and not the corals saving them unneeded stress.

-do drain and treatments secondarily, when you cant remove rocks, same reasons as above, and refill/drain the tank a few times afterwards to dilute/remove the peroxide treated water. much easier to do in small tanks. this method exposes nontargets to peroxide in a controlled manner.

-dipping whole rocks exposes both targets and nontargets, ask why you are choosing a dip

-the 1:10 dosing trick of simply adding peroxide to a full running tank is last place, as it contacts targets and non targets equally. The pumps off injection trick mentioned above makes the targets endure a slightly longer contact time and this make a big difference. This is often the first method selected as it requires the least work, but its the last recommended due to nontargets being exposed.

This will all be lost as the pages continue to grow over the next 2+ indefinite years, so if we want something stickied such as any list, let your voices be heard in pm's.

NirvanaandTool
Did a big water change last night and treated with peroxide. 2 rocks dipped in 50/50 peroxide/tank water & upper rocks spot treated with peroxide.

Before:

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

After:

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

8641139409_a2d9e929d6_b.jpg

FTS by ralphreef, on Flickr

It worked pretty well but time will tell if it lasts. The dipped rocks came much cleaner than the spot treated ones but I wasnt sure how much peroxide I should be injecting. I did maybe 10ml worth and then stopped, refilled and then drained another 10g of water to reduce the peroxide treated water.

Wondering if I might try the whole tank dosing though. The spot treatment while effective seems like its too narrowly focused and its too tough to get behind the rocks (especially when 2 waspfish are hiding back there).

Thank you for that submission and pics. I haven't come across that particular plant in the foreground with respect to peroxide dosing thats a new organism to gain feedback on

Is that thalassemia I'm just guessing

NirvanaandTool

It is Caulerpa Prolifera. As of last night it was fine but I'll check on it again tonight. I also have chaeto and caulerpa serrulata in my fuge that I can comment on as well.

I probably will pull it if I start to dose the whole tank. Has anyone had any ill effects on chaeto from peroxide?