Coral Vue Hydros

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

Will 3-4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxided dosed to a 28 g. tank damage RBTA and Xenia.

I was treating a rock outside the tank with undiluted hydrogen peroxide and I forgot to rinse one of the rocks before putting it in the tank. I probably added about 3-4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide accidentally to the tank. I know that dosing a tank is bad for RBTA and Xenia but will this amount likely damage them.

I also have a bunch of softies and a frogspawn in this tank too in addition to 4 nano fish and a cleaner shrimp and snail clean up crew.

Any suggestions welcome other than "remember to rinse the rock next time."

Thanks!

Hey Kat, do you know who that is in your picture???

a google search yielded me this, brings back memories as a kid, who loved GI JOE.

CODE NAME: BLOWTORCH

Blowtorch is the Joe Team's flamethrower.

Edited by jec11718
Kat

Funny picture.

Actually, somebody recommended a butane creme brulee torch for an apastasia and it worked like a charm.

--Doug

yup, those culinary torches are good.

Hey Kat, do you know who that is in your picture???

a google search yielded me this, brings back memories as a kid, who loved GI JOE.

CODE NAME: BLOWTORCH

Blowtorch is the Joe Team's flamethrower.

Cool!

Will 3-4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxided dosed to a 28 g. tank damage RBTA and Xenia.

I was treating a rock outside the tank with undiluted hydrogen peroxide and I forgot to rinse one of the rocks before putting it in the tank. I probably added about 3-4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide accidentally to the tank. I know that dosing a tank is bad for RBTA and Xenia but will this amount likely damage them.

I also have a bunch of softies and a frogspawn in this tank too in addition to 4 nano fish and a cleaner shrimp and snail clean up crew.

Any suggestions welcome other than "remember to rinse the rock next time."

Thanks!

Update......everything seems fine after this mistake. This second treatment did a great job killing almost all of the hair algae I treated.

Update on my AOG's they were a bit pissed off for a couple days but have pulled through. The small rock that they are attached to is now bone white with no signs of algae. One thing I noted in particular is how healthy the flesh on the zoas looked even the next day after the treatment. They weren't suffering from any of the typical zoa problems but clearly the skin looks much more evenly colored and textured.

I spot treated a lot of my hair algae by pulling the rocks out and brushing on undiluted peroxide for 2 minutes, rinsing and putting back in tank. It worked awesome with no impact to coral or fish.

I've got a couple rocks without coral on them that are covered in green hair algae. Is it best to just spot treat like I did above OR soak them in a diluted peroxide solution?

If the soak method is best.....

1. What is the best ratio of salt water to peroxide?

2. How long should I soak it for?

3. Should I rinse it before returning to my tank?

4. If I need to soak it for a long time, should I heat the water or add a pump for water movement.

Thanks

the spot treatments are always preferable to a diluted soak simply because the mix is stronger

for dilutions, people have been dipping 2-3 mins in uncirculated mixture of half 3% and half saltwater with a raised specific gravity to counterbalance the half portion that is just water(or h202)

The fearful feathery plumes of bryopsis! You caught it early though, nice going. If you can lift that rock out then a spot treat and rinse is best cuz it keeps the treatment all on target. I like dips for bad rocks

That's only a bad spot. id like to recommend you rinse 5x better than most. A few pages back we had a treater who did an external treat + rinse and they still lost the cleaner shrimp! Those things are peroxide wimps. I might even soak the rock in clean sw over nite just to let any residuals dissipate.

The fearful feathery plumes of bryopsis! You caught it early though, nice going. If you can lift that rock out then a spot treat and rinse is best cuz it keeps the treatment all on target. I like dips for bad rocks

That's only a bad spot. id like to recommend you rinse 5x better than most. A few pages back we had a treater who did an external treat + rinse and they still lost the cleaner shrimp! Those things are peroxide wimps. I might even soak the rock in clean sw over nite just to let any residuals dissipate.

This is the main clump that I have found. There is some algae growing on 2 other pieces but its small bits. As I don't want to lose my cleaner shrimp I may setup a container of SW and put the rock in there for a day or so after the dip instead of returning it to the tank. It's only shown itself on the rock that came from my LFS so far. It hasn't spread to the dried pukani rock yet. Since the tank is over 4 months old I feel ok with removing those pieces as there is plenty left that should have a good coating of bacteria to handle the tank for a day or two.

So when I do a dip. Is it a 3 to 1 ratio of RO/DI to Peroxide? When I remove the rock should I cut/pull loose as much as I can. Should I do any direct full strength spot treatment on the main clump?

I'm sure that has been answered here already but there is like 40 pages to this thread.

you just put the peroxide right on the algae don't dip

let it sit on the rock for about 5 mins really cooking

rinse, qt the rock for about two days thats all it takes for the peroxide to dissipate fully then put back in

use a new bottle of peroxide, not an opened one that is weak

no need to pull off anything just let it die in the system. it releases nothing back into the tank, nothing compared to a single daily feeding so don't bother. just photograph it while it turns white and update so we can watch another tank get fixed!

Hi,

If there is a competition to see who can put the most GHA into their tanks, I would win that contest. I have tried many things like many people here. I have not tried the Peroxide method though. I will try dipping rocks to peroxide from costco first. Just for the record, here is the picture of the tank now.

The picture is after I just clean up the tank. I siphon out most of the long GHA already :-)

Vu

IMG_20121112_064951.jpg

you just put the peroxide right on the algae don't dip

let it sit on the rock for about 5 mins really cooking

rinse, qt the rock for about two days thats all it takes for the peroxide to dissipate fully then put back in

use a new bottle of peroxide, not an opened one that is weak

no need to pull off anything just let it die in the system. it releases nothing back into the tank, nothing compared to a single daily feeding so don't bother. just photograph it while it turns white and update so we can watch another tank get fixed!

post-76065-1353027892_thumb.jpg

Before!

e20dadef80328ba55e3d2aa2ffc03a80.jpg

After!

8916400621eaf14658616d1cce0a20a2.jpg

My coralline didn't seem to enjoy it much either. Will see if it bounces back. It was probably the two day black out in a bucket that ticked off the coralline. Lost a bunch of sponges.

I dipped 2 of the rocks to the liquid brushed off the GHA. I rinsed them with the tank water and put them back. It has been over 1 week and the GHA is slowly finding the way back. I think the liquid burnt them to the root, but these guys are pretty good and I think just a matter of time before they come back. The big rock on the left side of the tank is not treated. My clown fish are playing with the GHA like their nem. Btw, my nem is not doing so well and has been shrinking 10 times smaller. I don't know how to fix the crush coral a the bottom of the tank. I think the only way is to take out everything and start fresh.

That may be the case. sometimes a given set of rocks can retain and leach phosphates depending on how they were handled before and during the time in your tank. There is a totally different set of acid based cooking procedures some like to try

The crushed coral will register itself as a clear problem in nitrate and phosphate where applicable, I'll try to go back and re read test results you might have posted that could play into this rebound growth. Did you post pics and tests?

I just went back to see the pics now i remember.

Yes that could take more than one dip to cure. Reefmiser had to use a prolonged systemic approach for his tank in that condition.

Few Questions:

1) Will dosing H2O2 kill bubble algae? There's some hard to reach areas that I can't safely reach for scraping

2) What corals, that we know of, react adversely to H2O2 dipping besides Xenia?

3) Will H2O2 dosing kill bristleworms? I know they die a horrible death when sprayed directly and I'd rather not lose a few thousand of my worms :)

I apologize if these questions were already answered somewhere, I've only read 15 pages of this thread....

1) Not really. I put about a cup of H2O2 into a measuring cup or other container and dip different frags in it. When I pluck off bubble algae it bursts open and doesn't release reliable spores, but I would nothing similar has happened when dosing inside my tank.

2) Yes, pretty much anything besides SPS shows some amount of reaction to dosing. Xenia and Anems show the worst reaction with LPS only looking unhappy but looking better the next day.

3) Only concentrated amounts will do damage, so dosing will cause little issue.

For picture references on valonia kills see page 9 pico reef pest algae problem challenge thread. You have to have a reefcentral id to see the pics

Id post the link but my phone won't copy and paste dang it

You can google the thread though, page 9, easy kill if you apply it right.

I went to costco today to check out the Hydrogen peroxide and they are over 6 bucks for 2 bottles (3%). The dollar tree near my house has 1 dollar a bottle and these are distributed by the same distributor. The one in dollar tree is 5%, so I am not sure why. Anyway, I am going to do another dip round because the GHA starts to grow back and with the current rate, they will be like before in 2 weeks. Will post picture after this treatment :-)