Top Shelf Aquatics

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

anemones usually color up to block light.
\

Oh..that explains it !

Nice! My rainbow has good color. I like the purple one.

Are you kidding....yours is AWESOME Morgan !!!!! (the very bright multicolored one) I just woke up and they're all spread out and happy again. Today I'm rearranging my tank just for them :D

Picked up a nice red/green maxi-mini from my LFS yesterday :) 30 minutes after I put it in, it moved into a nicer location. I'll try to get some pics of it when I get home. Thinking about starting up a huge garden now.. I love it :(

Edit: Pictures! Please excuse the shotglass, was waiting for a ricordea to attach to some rubble lol. Also, the ricordeas on top are about 5" across (unfolded) to give some sense of scale. Aquapod 24 also.

5486884461_ff867c69d4_z.jpg

5486884433_f4d147dd30_z.jpg

Edited by sanchez
hahaha YUP, potato chip syndrome...can't have just one :D

The only place that would potentially have them regularly near me is vivid aquarium, but I've heard they're pricey.

Anyone else know any spots in SoCal that might carry these guys?

Some Petco's are getting them in now for thirty. I know Seaside in Huntington carries them sometimes but they are a little too pricey for me. I found this ebay add (it is not mine nor have I ever dealt with this person) http://orangecounty.ebayclassifieds.com/ot...nes/?ad=4125203. I am probably gonna check these out when I'm ready to purchase more. Other than that, put up a WTB thread here on nano-reef or socalireefs and see if any hobbyists are selling. If you find any other good places be sure to share! Good luck!

where is the best place to find detailed instructions on how to care for these things??

Probably right here :D . But you know it's like a lot of other corals...they really do well in all sorts of conditions. I've read over and over...slightly dirty water, moderate flow, medium light but mine are in pristine water, high flow and high light and are thriving.

ok, i was just wondering because literally everyone says something a little different!!

I know..it's confusing but I think it says something to how easy they are to keep...they really can take all kinds of conditions and they'll tell you what they like with how well they open and if they stay where you put them. I do find my darker colored ones adapt better to bright light. I have a very pale lemon yellow/pale orange that I placed at the bottom of my tank and it still decided the light was too strong and moved itself to the back of a rock in the shade (much to my annoyance lol)

Seamonkey84

Why isn't this thread a sticky yet?!? It seems to be THE place for care info and eye candy on this wonderful yet still not mainstream creature.

Seamonkey84
Pom pom crab thread, sexy shrimp thread, maxi mini thread all should be stickied, but those are far and few between..

Well the sexy shrimp ready is, and this really should be right under it. Even though it didn't start as a care sheet (should include one) and the pom pom crabs is an awesome care sheet and lots of experiences from people. I started my pico just for all three of these species. I have the maxis I posted on page 20, and a pom pom crab who I haven't seen for the week ive had him. I'm still waiting on the sexy shrimps and another pom pom crab.

Edited by Seamonkey84

One of my maxi's spent about 2 hours spawning last night. The entire tank was so cloudy that you could hardly see from side to side. It's cleared quite a lot today and my other corals look fine. Does anyone think I need to do a water change or do you think my maxi's night on the town won't hurt anything?

EDITED to say - as no one offered advice I ended up no changing water. Two days later the tank is totally cleared up and no one suffered. Thought I'd post in case anyone else has this happen.

Edited by miniwhinny
Reef Goddess

Hey Danna!

Your anemones weren't the only ones feeling sexy. Mine spawned two nights ago. We caught them at it after they were mostly done, so the water was pretty cloudy.

P3030001.jpg

P3030008.jpg

P3030004.jpg

Seamonkey84

Has anyone successfully raised anemone larvae? would some sort of jellyfish tank work for this? like a under gravel filter or sponge filter covered with layer of glass beads like on jellyfishart.com

Reef Goddess

I doubt it, since most people haven't had theirs spawn. Also, I'm not sure what triggered them to spawn, I think Danna's anemones must have sent mine a pm.

I doubt it, since most people haven't had theirs spawn. Also, I'm not sure what triggered them to spawn, I think Danna's anemones must have sent mine a pm.

HAHAHAHHAHA...it was one of YOURS that did it...so they had obviously coordinated the event before being shipped to me lol.

I noticed something else too...they are hermaphrodites because the one that sent sperm all over my tank - 3 days later sent eggs out (justs like the ones in your pictures)

post-61708-1299726902_thumb.jpg

Hey I just got these two! What do you think?

Sweet. Ditto what Morgan said. You may get a color change in the pale one as it adjusts to better lighting. I picked up one that was very pale lemon yellow that now, 2 weeks later, is almost solid orange!