inTank Media Baskets

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Altra, I wouldn't really recommend the TEK fixture, better to go with an ATI fixture if you have the $$ and just hang it further away if needed. We use ATI Blueplus and Aquablue bulbs on a 1-1 ratio. 4 bulb fixture. I'm getting ready to order a 60" 8 bulb ATI fixture for my sps tank. Should be sweet!

I've been debating on going T5 in my Red Sea Max. Right not I have a 250w Pheonix on there and my maxis hide constantly... :/ I'll probably by a FNI 4 bulb and upgrade to ati bulbs down the road. BTW ATI fixtures are too much money for me!

No, my husband isn't interested in trying LEDs yet (he handles all the equipment buying) he doesn't think they're worth it yet. Just his opinion of course. I'm pretty sure there are a few people in this thread that keep them under LEDs.

Thank you very much ReefGoddess and Kwelli for your answers. I'm completely excited about this new tank i'm planning to set up. Based on your(RG) suggestion I'm thinking of doing 1 aquablue, 1 blueplus, 1 purple plus and 1 True actinic :) lest someone advices against it.

Although I'm months away from setting up my tank, when I do I'll post pictures and add info here. I'm damn sure this thread is gonna go on AND on AND ON.

Thanks again folks.

JeffYoshiyuki
No, my husband isn't interested in trying LEDs yet (he handles all the equipment buying) he doesn't think they're worth it yet. Just his opinion of course. I'm pretty sure there are a few people in this thread that keep them under LEDs.

hey Reef Goddess, I am in the process of moving from a small tank to a 130g tank and was thinking about doing a island of rocks with only Maxi Minis. the tank is 72x24 inches but my light is a 48 inch Current 8 bulb fixtures. what bulbs would you do and will it work with Zoas, Palys, and Acans?

Deleted User 6

hmm...i might be scrapping my plans for these given that they eat everything in sight, lol. i don't think my trimma/eviota gobies or the anemone shrimp I plan to get would appreciate such a hostile environment. i guess i'll stick to ricordea.

Morgan, ever tried these under LEDs? Sorry if it's been asked in this thread - i don't have the patience to go back and read it all, lol.

I have mine under LEDs. I had three in a 20H with a Sunpod HQI 150w 14,000k phoenix but in January I started my new 20L with 3 Rapid's. I've noticed they have colored up a lot more under the LED's than the halide.

Heres my 2 cents from my experience.

I had 2 under 2 coralsky versa II led lights and boy mine were so bleached. I had mine placed about 20-22 inches from the lights. I started turning on only 1 light after they got bleached. Very unfortunately my tank crashed last week and now my stuff is in a bucket. After reading so many articles on led i have the following 2 impressions

1. leds will put out incredible amounts of par comparable to MH lights but gr8 PAR does not guarantee good colors. In fact I have been told that if the corals get more than enough PAR they will loose their zooanthelite thereby losing their florescence/color.

2. something is missing from led lights that does not bring out the colors like say t5s or MH lights.

I'm not sure what MiniWhinny did there? maybe kept them sufficiently far from the lights or something. PAR readings would be great to have Whinny. maybe u've hit the sweet spot.

I'm going with ati's dimmable powermodule system with my next tank for sure.

Edited by altra4u
I'm not sure what MiniWhinny did there? maybe kept them sufficiently far from the lights or something. PAR readings would be great to have Whinny. maybe u've hit the sweet spot.

I'm not sure why they have colored up. I have one (now two because I fragged it) that was a pale gray with the tiniest hint of blue when I got it from a LFS. They are high in the tank - about 3 inches from the top and the lights are 5 inches from the water and now they are various shades of blue. I have a pale blue that I fragged and the one that's mid tank right under the light is a more vibrant blue than it's clone placed lower and slightly off to the side. Go figure :o I figure as they are nems and can go walkabout at will that they'd move if they weren't happy :D

My maxi almost ate a hermit. I got the crab's shell out. finding no occupant then seeing it struggling in the nem, I got it out too. :( I want your nem Acer. where did you get that one from?

they are lovely but they'll eat your livestock. :o I want more though, inspite of that.

That's why I've started a pico just for these and sexy shrimp. I'm also adding a few frags here and there if the sexies behave, and a pom pom crab or two. From what I've experienced for past 4 months with my fist one in my 10 gallon, even my ocellaris clown knows to stay out of it and tries to host in my zoanthids instead. These are just too beautiful to pass up.

That's why I've started a pico just for these and sexy shrimp. I'm also adding a few frags here and there if the sexies behave, and a pom pom crab or two. From what I've experienced for past 4 months with my fist one in my 10 gallon, even my ocellaris clown knows to stay out of it and tries to host in my zoanthids instead. These are just too beautiful to pass up.

I am doing the same thing I am going to do a mini carpet species tank with a trio of sexy shrimp.

I am wanting sexies too. I would like three but I am going to wait amonth maybe two before adding them. As it stands I am simply drooling over evryone elses nems.

Sunstar, your hermit didn't just fall into the maxi? I still haven't seen my maxis eat any snails or fish and I have A LOT of maxis.

the crab fell into it (I am pretty sure of that), and was out of its shell and the maxi had him good. I had issue trying to get the crab out. Kweli had a shot of his Maxi nomming one of his snails the other day. (different forum) It likely happens when there are clumsy animals around. As for the poor crab--doing well :3

Very p***ed off maxi's because they just got moved. Sitting in this bowl for a few days 'til they cheer up :D Color if way off because the pale one is pale yellow and orange but the blue in the LED's is throwing my photographic skills off !

max3.jpg

I'm not sure why they have colored up. I have one (now two because I fragged it) that was a pale gray with the tiniest hint of blue when I got it from a LFS. They are high in the tank - about 3 inches from the top and the lights are 5 inches from the water and now they are various shades of blue. I have a pale blue that I fragged and the one that's mid tank right under the light is a more vibrant blue than it's clone placed lower and slightly off to the side. Go figure :o I figure as they are nems and can go walkabout at will that they'd move if they weren't happy :D

anemones usually color up to block light.