Pod Your Reef

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Thanks! I hope I'll have even nicer ones soon. Fingers crossed.

How's your tank going?

Sunstar: Sounds like you need to enlist an anemone smuggler. hehe

Thanks! I hope I'll have even nicer ones soon. Fingers crossed.

How's your tank going?

Sunstar: Sounds like you need to enlist an anemone smuggler. hehe

I should get my sister to dot hat :P

I would do international shipping, but I have to get a wholesale dealers license and CITES permits, not to mention international shipping is still super expensive and frequently experiences delays. But I have a friend who runs a wholesale business here, I'll see if maybe he can ship to you.

:D I work very hard to only get good colors and no crap. We setup another tank last night to hold my new ones. Which means I won't have to fight with them sneaking off into my live rock. Should look pretty cool to have a whole 30 gallon breeder with wall to wall anemones. Yay!
Deadly-Teddly
Is attached to rock? Will you need to rip your entire tank apart in order to get to it? Is this an option? lol If its attached to a fairly flat rock and not hiding in a hole, then you ought to be able to peel the foot off with your finger nail (if you can get to the foot) and move it to a spot in the front. I use rubble rock to create a corral of sorts to keep them from moving off into the main part of my live rock. Its fairly successful. ;p

They have a tendency to stay put better if placed in clam/oyster/scallop shaped shells. If your lights are very bright then it will tend to move under your rocks. Just medium lighting is good enough.

If nothing else, you could just reaquascape around your anemone. hehe They are very sneaky.

ahhh, ok, that explains why it hid from the metal halide...its right on a spot where theres nothing but PC lighting hitting it lol.

I tried putting some of mine under my ATI fixture and it was just too bright for them. They really do just fine and display the best color under medium light. Any of my anemones that have crawled up into my rocks and are closer to the light are situated more vertically, so they are not getting the full brunt of the light.

Reef Goddess: I read your response about how to move a maxi mini. I have an orange one that I would like to move. So seriously...I can just peel off the foot with my fingernail? It's in a spot that I can get to but I wasn't sure how much you can touch the base of it without damaging it. And if for some reason the foot does get damaged will it "nuke" my tank? I read how you can cut these babies in half so I figured they were pretty hardy.

My purple one is in a perfect spot and it gets direct light from my T5's. But the orange one wedged itself between 3 different corals and my hammer has developed sweeper tentacles because the maxi mini puffs up around the base of the hammer. So I thought I would try and move it.

Thanks for your help :)

As long as you an get to the foot you should be able to peel it off starting at the edge of the foot. It may slime a bit and act pissed off, but as long as you're able to raise the foot in one area, the whole anemone should come off pretty well. I have gotten frustrated and even ripped the foot on a few and they still recover fine.

No, it won't nuke your tank. Even if one dies in your tank (very rare) it still won't nuke it. Raise the nitrates a little but no damage to other corals.

Does anyone here keep their maxis with zoas? I really want one maxi, but i also intend on having tons of zoas. Should i get the maxi first and wait for it to find its spot and then start adding coral? I hear once they find their spot they don't move around at all.

Also i'm going to have a 150w halide, and the tank is only 10" tall. Anyone think that will be too much light for the maxi?

Edited by Zer0

It will be too much light if you put it dead in the center of your tank. But if you put it in a spot off to the side that has some partial shade it should be ok. I would put the maxis in first then coralscape around them. They don't kill zoos, but I wouldn't go putting your top dollar zoos around them. Eagles eyes, dragon eyes, fire ice, etc stuff that is tough and won't break your heart if it does die are the best things to put around them. ;p

I think I'm turning into the maxi guru. :P

my mini minis plopped themselves into the middle of some zoos without problem.

Great. Thanks for the information all. This is turning out to be great. I wouldn't exactly put the maxi right in the middle of the tank, but i'm sure if i did, it would find a nicer spot to accommodate its lighting needs. Right?

Oh yeah also, i have a 20x20x10 tank, about 17.3G, and i was wondering, do you think this would be enough room to accommodate a maxi mini, with enough room for coral as well? Or should i get a mini mini? I just want one of either. I don't plan on having multiple ones or a garden of them.

Edited by Zer0

Zero, yes that's true, but that better spot could be under a rock or at the back of your tank, so its better to try and find a spot for them that makes them happy instead of letting the nem choose the spot. hehe

Zero, yes that's true, but that better spot could be under a rock or at the back of your tank, so its better to try and find a spot for them that makes them happy instead of letting the nem choose the spot. hehe

Damn.. great point. I'm going to keep that in mind for sure. Which would you suggest for my nano? A mini or a maxi?

That's plenty of room for up to 5 maxi minis. Mini minis are really tiny so you'd need a whole bunch of them to be noticeable in a tank that size. Dale can tell you the mini minis split readly so you can have a bunch in a short time. It also depends on how many corals you want to put in your tank. I have noticed that a bunch of people must get addicted to maxis, because they'll start off buying just a few and then come back for more and more. ;] You can keep a lot of them even in one small tank. Tigahboy used to have a gorgeous tank full of rare morph maxis.

Awesome. Then i think i will go for one maxi mini. Only because i just want it as a showpiece of the tank, and i want to fill the rest of the tank with corals. That's my main focus.

Also, one last question for ya. Would a maxi be healthy and have good color under 72watts of T5HO light? I'm just contemplating between going T5 or Halide. Which lighting do you keep your awesome maxis under?

I have mine under a Tek light fixture with ATI T5 bulbs. The fixture is crappy, better to go with an ATI fixture. But you will need to hang the light up a bit cause the ATI bulbs are so bright that in a shallow tank they can be too strong for the maxis. Most of my maxis are a good 18" from my light and the other that have crept higher are not in direct light. The ATI T5's are really great for growing all sorts of corals. They cost a bit more than other fixtures but they are totally worth it. We're getting ready to replace the lights over our sps tank with a 8 bulb ATI fixture. But it really depends on what light fits your tank size best. You could probably even use a strong pc fixture. I would base my decision more on the other types of corals you want to keep, cause you can always create a shady spot with your live rock if you're only planning to keep one maxi.

But you'll see, maxis are an addiction, they come in so many awesome colors. Bongo shrimp asked me today for a picture of my favorite maxi. I think I sent him like 9 pictures. hehe

Cool. Well it's nice knowing they could be under a 150w halide though because i may go with that, and then retrofit 2 T5 actinic bulbs. Still completely undecided though. Just gota find out what light system gives zoas their best colors. Then i'll know what i want. :)

Zoos are happy under a whole bunch of different types of lights. I have zoos through out all my tanks from moderate pc lighting - 400w Radiums.

Yeah, i'm sure they would be happy under anything but i'm just looking in to which lighting gets the best colors out of them. Not just making them happy. Even though happy = good coloration. :P Still.. i'm yet to decide. Stuck between all T5's, or a single 150w halide. :( Can't decide!!