SaltCritters.com

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

kevantheman35

Well i picked it up and looked at its foot, looked fine. I guess messing with it made it want to stick to something because this morning it was stuck to my giant turbo snail taking a ride, then when i got home from work it was stuck to my rockwork. Heres a pic from a minute ago.

img3110.jpg

What kind of lighting do they like ive been wanting to get one but i don't think PC are good for em.

I'm trying one out in a Biocube 8 with stock PCs, so far so good.

DSC_0199-1.jpg

I decided to finally join the club and get 2 today. Every local reef store has them and the price has really dropped as a result.

I got these 2 for $30. Tons of different colours to choose from, almost went with a simple bright green but seeing as it seems like 100s of these guys are brought in every month I can always get more later.

I got the smallest one they had for my 2 gallon pico. I don't think the LED lights I have will be enough but I'm thinking about replacing the lighting with a par 30 bulb and this might just seal the deal.

The other one is going in my 112 gallon display.

both in a bucket, under 250w mh just to take the pic

IMGP8163.JPG

IMGP8175.JPG

The second pic is in the dymax pico. It has almost basically 10k lighting so the colours don't pop like some of the photos of others in this thread.

NaClCrocodile

Remind me, what kind of lighting does a BC29 have? You'll probably be fine, they're exceedingly easy to keep. Probably like a little more demanding version of a mushroom.

NaClCrocodile

It's not the best, but I suppose it'll find a nice spot in the upper half. You may not get quite the colors that you may get with higher lights, but they should live.

I decided to finally join the club and get 2 today. Every local reef store has them and the price has really dropped as a result.

I got these 2 for $30. Tons of different colours to choose from, almost went with a simple bright green but seeing as it seems like 100s of these guys are brought in every month I can always get more later.

I got the smallest one they had for my 2 gallon pico. I don't think the LED lights I have will be enough but I'm thinking about replacing the lighting with a par 30 bulb and this might just seal the deal.

The other one is going in my 112 gallon display.

both in a bucket, under 250w mh just to take the pic

IMGP8163.JPG

IMGP8175.JPG

The second pic is in the dymax pico. It has almost basically 10k lighting so the colours don't pop like some of the photos of others in this thread.

Those are so nice! :( and THEY'RE SO CHEAP!! It'll cost me $50 for the same kind over here. Maybe once supply goes up around here the price will go down

It's not the best, but I suppose it'll find a nice spot in the upper half. You may not get quite the colors that you may get with higher lights, but they should live.

Ok thanks. My LFS just got a bunch in and I may pick one up to see how well it does.

Here are two quick photos of two of my new maxis

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

The color in the 1st is a bit off; it's a bit more bright red, but I just wanted to take a snapshot and post it on a local forum :-p

Well a month or so ago. I moved a bunch of my maxis to my tank that has a four bulb ATI fixture with ATI T5's. They were stickier so seemingly healthier in this system, but by the end of the month a lot of them had become washed out color wise, so I moved them back to my tank with the crappy TEK light fixture. I've found for best color, they like medium lighting. If your lighting is too low, they will spread out a lot and their bright colors will darken a bit. If it is too high they will scrunch up a lot and the colors will start to look a bit bleached after awhile. Some of my anemones have crawled to the top of my rock work (sneaky things) and they are closer to the light. But even these anemones are only partially exposed to the light in crevices and such.

Some more pics of mine. ;]

PC110138.jpg

PC110115.jpg

PC110107.jpg

PC110105.jpg

PC110103.jpg

PC110097.jpg

PC110087.jpg

Sometimes they can be light colored and not be bleached. I've had this one for 3 months and the color has stayed the same.

PC110080.jpg

Really sweet little one I'm growing out.

PC090087.jpg

All of the anemones pictured are clones. ;]

Edited by Reef Goddess

Some awesome colored anemones.

Seems like the speed of reproduction will help lower costs on these guys.

Anyone have a link, or some pictures, of their powerheads? Like to know how you made them anemone safe?

Kweli: You don't need to wrap your powerheads when keeping maxi minis, they don't get into them. Maxis don't project themselves into the water like bta's have a tendency to do when they move. Maxis creep, which means they always have a firm grip on the glass or rock even when they are moving. But they can creep very quick.

I think cutting them releases their panic mode chemicals cause they really try and creep under my rock the night after cutting. lol

Geccles: I have some mini mini's in stock. They are $25. These are a little more than my usual because they have a lot more redish colors and better size. I'm trying to sell this 4 anemone rock first.

PC090072.jpg

Amazing creature.

Here are mine. The blue ones came from Lalani and the pink one from my LFS.

Sweet!

Edited by reeftankguy
Kweli: You don't need to wrap your powerheads when keeping maxi minis, they don't get into them. Maxis don't project themselves into the water like bta's have a tendency to do when they move. Maxis creep, which means they always have a firm grip on the glass or rock even when they are moving. But they can creep very quick.

REALLY? If so im going to have a mini-maxi garden!!!

I think cutting them releases their panic mode chemicals cause they really try and creep under my rock the night after cutting. lol

Geccles: I have some mini mini's in stock. They are $25. These are a little more than my usual because they have a lot more redish colors and better size. I'm trying to sell this 4 anemone rock first.

PC090072.jpg

I saw these and really had to resist getting them. My mini carpet nem has split twice to make 4 nems total since I bought it from you!!!

Well.. I want to have a couple as well. But, appreciate if you experts can answer my questions.

1. Do they sting corals?

2. What you you feed them?

3. Do they reproduce or split?

Not to disagree with Morgan, but I've had a maxi detach for no known reason and get stuck in a powerhead guard. Took me almost half an hour to push it bit by bit back through the grill but it wasn't damanged too badly.. healed up in a week or so. It doesn't happen often, but it can. I keep a sponge wrapped around that guard now.

Cute Dale!

Lalani: I guess it just depends. I have over 100 anemones in a 33 gallon breeder and none have ever gotten into my powerhead. Maybe mine are just well behaved. ;]