inTank Media Baskets

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

My mini mini carpet (the largest of 6 in my main tank) hanging out in some palys. It loves it there, it's grown so much since it moved there. I hope it splits soon else I wonder if it's a maxi mini...

IMG_7679.jpg

Lol Ok Kevan give me a sec, I'll go take one for you. :P

Jeff: We are an in house coral farm so we don't have a store front, but you are welcome to come over if you make an appointment.

JeffYoshiyuki
Lol Ok Kevan give me a sec, I'll go take one for you. :P

Jeff: We are an in house coral farm so we don't have a store front, but you are welcome to come over if you make an appointment.

how are you guys doing in this coldsnap? im guessin everything is inside and not greenhouses?

All of our tanks are in one bedroom of our house. But it has been interesting lately dealing with the highs and lows. Usually its not that big of a deal.

Pics as requested. They don't look that great right now cause the lights had turned off and I cut several a few days ago and this tends to make everyone pissy for a week or so. I think this is a 40 gallon breeder actually. I don't keep that many corals in here cause the light isn't the best compared to the 400w Radiums on my other tanks.

PC150001.jpg

PC150002.jpg

PC150004.jpg

PC150006.jpg

PC150007.jpg

PC150008.jpg

All of our tanks are in one bedroom of our house. But it has been interesting lately dealing with the highs and lows. Usually its not that big of a deal.

Pics as requested. They don't look that great right now cause the lights had turned off and I cut several a few days ago and this tends to make everyone pissy for a week or so. I think this is a 40 gallon breeder actually. I don't keep that many corals in here cause the light isn't the best compared to the 400w Radiums on my other tanks.

Is the yellow tang the only fish you have? Or the only fish that survives your sand-bed of death?

No, I have two moonlight damsels (Dascyllus marginatus). All the fish know to stay out of the anemones. My tang nibbles food around them all the time and the anemones don't seem to hurt her. I just don't have more fish because its a smallish tank and the damsels are very aggressive now that they are a pair.

I don't really keep that many fish in my tanks like I used to. I had a really bad, freak outbreak of ich in my large system last year and there was no way to catch my fish because of the eggcrate stands. We had to use Furan 2 as a desperation measure. It saved my two yellow belly hippos and one clown, but I lost two large african Allardi's and a rare yellow scopas. The Furan 2 was really hard on my sps and I lost a few corals. So its hard to keep a lot of fish in farm tanks because you can't afford to save them if they get ich.

IMGP8336.JPG

I got these 6 today for $60 what a deal. Almost went for 9 but there wasn't that many different colour variations to choose from and I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with these 6.

They are all cute now but by tomorrow they will be much bigger. I will probably put a couple in my display tank then attempt to cut the rest and see how they do. I'll give them a couple of days to settle in and eat first.

Nice deal!

Kayl: You can try to peal the anemone's foot off with your finger/fingernail. Hopefully its not attached inside of a hole. You can also try to cut it in half while it is still attached to the rock if you think you can make a nice clean cut through the foot. I have done this a few times and the two halves if well cut will move away rom each other in a few days.

So after what seems like forever, I FINALLY got my hands on my very first maxi mini :D but I have a question. He's about 4 inches if he's completely spread out but the thing is he's like, oddly coiled up. If you take a look at the second pic, it's like he's twisted :S Is he just getting used to the tank or is he splitting or something? He was that way in the store as well

img6447k.jpg

img6452y.jpg

Edited by SexyShrimp
Nice deal!

Kayl: You can try to peal the anemone's foot off with your finger/fingernail. Hopefully its not attached inside of a hole. You can also try to cut it in half while it is still attached to the rock if you think you can make a nice clean cut through the foot. I have done this a few times and the two halves if well cut will move away rom each other in a few days.

Thanks-

I ended up using a plastic scraper to gently get the foot started and then used my fingers. Now to get up the courage to cut them! ;)

Cutting them is the easy part. Just look up Kraylen's video on youtube.

Sexyshrinp: doesn't look like the foot on your nem is fully attached yet, so its probably just seating itself well. I doubt it is something to worry about.

Cutting them is the easy part. Just look up Kraylen's video on youtube.

Sexyshrinp: doesn't look like the foot on your nem is fully attached yet, so its probably just seating itself well. I doubt it is something to worry about.

Yeah, this morning he decided to squish himself into some little crevice :| so I peeled him off and tried to put him in a lower flow area

Ok guys. I keep debating in my head about whether I want to get one of these guys or not. My issue is size. I keep hearing that they get to 6" but is that really true of all maxi minis? Or is that like in the some fish books they say max of 10"- but realistically most only get to 6" or 7"?

NaClCrocodile
Ok guys. I keep debating in my head about whether I want to get one of these guys or not. My issue is size. I keep hearing that they get to 6" but is that really true of all maxi minis? Or is that like in the some fish books they say max of 10"- but realistically most only get to 6" or 7"?

I'd say that's a pretty accurate analogy. I'd say they can get to 6" but if you don't want them to get that big, you can keep to fewer feedings or just cut them if they get that big. DO IT!

Maxi's price has been dropping very quickly over here (Toronto)

Went from 20-25 dollars in late october, 2 for 30 in december, and now 9.99 during our boxing day sales (similar to your black friday)

Picked up 3 of them today:

Anemones.jpg

anemone1.jpg

anemone2.jpg

Maxi's price has been dropping very quickly over here (Toronto)

Went from 20-25 dollars in late october, 2 for 30 in december, and now 9.99 during our boxing day sales (similar to your black friday)

Picked up 3 of them today:

Anemones.jpg

anemone1.jpg

anemone2.jpg

ORG is now giving them away free with purchase!

In the summer they were 30-40$ each

I guess we were a little behind with this fad they didn't really start becoming popular to 2010 but the prices have just flattened out. Maybe by the end of this year stores will pay you to take them :)

ORG is now giving them away free with purchase!

In the summer they were 30-40$ each

I guess we were a little behind with this fad they didn't really start becoming popular to 2010 but the prices have just flattened out. Maybe by the end of this year stores will pay you to take them :)

Thats where i got these = )

Does anyone ever cut these in to fours? or is it best just to cut them in half once per prop session?

thanks

Edited by AdrianBryce