Top Shelf Aquatics

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Hey canadians, or at least local to the toronto area.... I may be doing a Nem group order April May when the worst of our winter weather is done. With luck, if I get enough interest... We can haz too!

I have gone utterly gaga over mini maxies and my original mini minis

So all talk and no pictures kind of defeats the purpose of this thread. Some of my new ones, proving that even green variants can be quite nice.

Demartini and other lurkers, its about time for updated maxis pics no?

P2010031.jpg

P2010043.jpg

P2010056.jpg

P2010053.jpg

P2010050.jpg

P2010044.jpg

I don;t know if I would do bubble tips with these since bubble tips like to move around so much. Maybe if you are able to keep them in different areas of the tank. I don't think either anemone would kill the other.

OMG. This thread exploded since I last posted...

Ya I have had my minis for quite a while. They grow super fast IF YOU FEED THEM. At the peak, they double in number every month. I have not fed mine in a while, and haven't had a new one in like 3 months.

I'm starting to feed it again, so I should be getting more soon. :)

Bubble tips will live in the same tank as maxi minis as long as they each have room. My bubble tips reside on rubble on the sandbed, and my maxi mini is seated 6" up in the rockwork.

OMG. This thread exploded since I last posted...

Ya I have had my minis for quite a while. They grow super fast IF YOU FEED THEM. At the peak, they double in number every month. I have not fed mine in a while, and haven't had a new one in like 3 months.

I'm starting to feed it again, so I should be getting more soon. :)

So if you feed maxi minis they reproduce that fast? What are you feeding them?

NaClCrocodile
So if you feed maxi minis they reproduce that fast? What are you feeding them?

Maxis don't typically split naturally. I've seen mine release sperm into the water column but nothing came of it (pun intended).

eh... there are way more maxi minis circulating around than mini minis, and they are dang near impossible to photograph. BTW Morgan, do you have any other mini mini variations? I know you have the razzberry ones. JW if there were any others floating around your tanks.

Which is a mini mini? The one above looks like normal maxi mini but smaller. The I have this little red guy which looks just like a normal red carpet nem, but super tiny. Are they both considered "mini minis"? I know that even if they are considered the same thing, they are not actually the same species.

I'm confused :wacko:

Bongo, I think your red one is something different and belongs in its own category.

1. So you have your solid red anemone that tends to be more delicate, grows somewhat slower, and reaches a max size of 2-3 inches? and seems to have originated with Atlantis Aquarium.

aaarednem-1.jpg

rednem5.jpg

2. The maxi anemones from Vietnam which are very hardy, occur in a rainbow of color variations, and reach 5-6 inches.

P9300031.jpg

P9280072.jpg

3. Lastly, the mini anemones which are also very tough, have pretty much the same color variations of pink/green/cream, and reach a max size of 1.5 - 2".

PC090070.jpg

These are what I would consider to be the three noticebly distinguishabe morphs in this family. I'm sure there are still others that have more subtle differences that we haven't classified yet.

Edited by Reef Goddess