Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Bongo, I think your red one is something different and belongs in its own category.

So you have your solid red one that tends to be more delicate, grows somewhat slower, and reaches a max size of 2-3 inches?

The maxi anemones which are very hardy, occur in a rainbow of color variations, and reach 5-6 inches.

Lastly, the mini anemones which are also very tough, have pretty much the same color variations of pink/green/cream, and reach a max size of 1.5 - 2".

These are what I would consider to be the noticebly distinguishabe morphs in this family. I'm sure there are still others that have more subtle differences that we haven't classified yet.

That helps clarify things a bit. Hopefully it helps others too.

You're not kidding about the delicate part. My little red guy is the most finicky thing EVER! He stays put for a few weeks, eating and all's good and then one day he will be all balled up in the back being blown around by the current. Then I put him in a breeder net to feed him and keep him from blowing away. He sorta bleached out a little because he was in the breeder net for so long now but finally he is REALLY starting to eat.

Nope, I stole those pics from a thread that I found online. I take no credit for them at all. I was just trying to find a good example pic and the one on Atlantis' site is not very good.

Oh because I was going to say- Why haven't you shared your wisdom about them with me?

...Never mind ;).

Edited by Bongo Shrimp

OMG Morgan !!!!! How can you live with yourself teasing us with pictures like that !!!!!!! ;):P:D I just spotted 6 that I want to order and they're not ones for sale lol !

Bongo, I think your red one is something different and belongs in its own category.

1. So you have your solid red anemone that tends to be more delicate, grows somewhat slower, and reaches a max size of 2-3 inches? and seems to have originated with Atlantis Aquarium.

2. The maxi anemones from Vietnam which are very hardy, occur in a rainbow of color variations, and reach 5-6 inches.

3. Lastly, the mini anemones which are also very tough, have pretty much the same color variations of pink/green/cream, and reach a max size of 1.5 - 2".

These are what I would consider to be the three noticebly distinguishabe morphs in this family. I'm sure there are still others that have more subtle differences that we haven't classified yet.

This will cut down on a lot of confusion. Good job Morgan.

Mine actually hitch hiked on a rock as a undefined bleached squishy. which I thought was interesting. As I was new in the hobby I figured I would give it a chance.

IMG_2961-1.jpg

I found it would take food. It looked like calamari.

The poor thing suffered my tank's initial cycle. but it survived in short order it started to look like something..I hoped it was good, I was starting to fall in love with my little baby.

thingy.jpg

looks like something

as it got larger I was able to feed it more than baby brine shrimp, but crushed up shrimp pellet chunks. it was happy.

anenemy.jpg

I was not sure what it was.

I was skeptical of what I was looking at. I had concluded it was an anemone but I was wondering if it was an enemy.

IMG_5769.jpg

and then there was two.

here are some fission pics:

17836_292817055405_528965405_508094.jpg

17836_292817025405_528965405_508093.jpg

At night pic:

anemone6.jpg

More Mini Mini's

IMG_7683.jpg

the largest mine have grown and I feed mine frequently. was about 2 inches maybe 3 across before it fissioned. Mine are about the size of a dime (the smallest) to the size of a looney(I am a canadian) and I have a bunch :3

Edited by Sunstar

Those look great sunstar! I find that they keep the more pink coloration like yours under med - low light. When mine are in high light they turn mostly green.

Thanks! I feel blessed to have had luck to get such a sweet animal hitching on a live rock peice. I am also glad I gave it a chance. I have traded or sold them to others. they are one animal I wish to keep as long as I have salt water. the mini minis have a warm fuzzy spot in my heart.

Got this fella today :) They were priced at 70 when they first got them in. (Too rich for my blood for ok maxi minis), but nobody else bought them, so they have been reduced to almost wholesale. Picked it up for 39.99! Usually twice this size (about 3" when completely open)

DSCN0944-1.jpg

i've been keeping this colorful circles for good while now i find their coloration to be quite temperamental. up till now there still isn't a distinct setting for them to colour up.

here's what mine would look like in its glory days. now its washed out.

post-46651-1296985840_thumb.jpg