Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

What kind of lights do you have and where is it located in your tank?

i'm currently running a diy 4x24w set with single reflectors.

back

ati blue plus

ati purple plus

ati actinic

ati blue plus

font

tank depth is only 14" and i keep my fixture less than 3" off the water surface. the nems are at the bottom on small rock. the colours seem to hold there pretty good but i do have a few which climbed all the way to to about 5" from the water (8" from the bulbs) and still do just about the same. but any higher they get washed out

Yeah, your lights are too bright for your tank depth, the maxis really don't like high light. Your colors would be better and you could move them more into the open if your lights were higher or not so strong.

Just an fyi because I haven't seen anyone report this, my copperbanded butterfly has grown to like them. He's eaten 2-3 of them but for some reason won't touch my first one which is a full 6" or whatever the max size is. The smaller ones he picked and picked at until they were floating around and he'd continue to nibble till there was nothing left.

My copperbanded is actually healthy and eats mysis on a daily basis but for those who can't get them to eat, at least in Canada they may be an acceptable affordable starter food :happy:

Edited by andrewkw

Got some new goodies from Morgan yesterday but they're not open enough to do justice photographing them yet :D

I do have a question though....what water params are you guys finding your maxis like. I have mine in almost pristine SPS type conditions and they seem fine but I'm wondering how you guys keep them and if slightly dirtier water would be better?

The real reason I'm asking is that my skimmer drives me batty and I'm thinking of removing it...it takes up a lot of real estate, makes micro bubbles and hardly removes anything!

The nitrates in my anemone tank are a lot higher than I'd like, around 40ppm. Obviously they don't mind, but we're going to lower the nitrates anyway. I also have a couple maxis in my 0 nitrate tanks and they do fine there as well.

They really are the perfect small nem. Seems just about anything makes them happy. I hate to admit it but I cycled this tank with two because I just couldn't get them off their rock. Not only did they come through just fine - they thrived lol !

Yeah, about the only thing they don't like is high light. I cloned a bunch the other day and some still look pissy, but I have no doubt that they'll be looking great by next week.

+1 Mine all scurry into the shade from my 250w metal halide... I would almost trade it for a 150, but refuse to ship that huge SOB. Right now I am collecting a bunch of maxi minis for a softie/nem tank. :) My LFS just can't get rid of them... They are selling them for 1 for 39.99 or 2 for 70!!! I just traded in my 2 RBTAs and I'm getting 4 maxi minis in return :D

My new nem got a new friend today :D I've really been wanting to take pics of this nem for a few days now but I just can't capture it's color (but you can see a pic of it that Morgan took a few pages back !) Today I got this little nem shrimp and he's been sitting there for hours :D

014a.jpg

015a.jpg

I noticed one of my maxi anemones with a snail in the center... It swallowed the whole thing within 1-2 hours, and 2-3 hours later it was spitting it out....

The snail was about the size of a thumb

AND i got it all on camera, uploading the pictures soon.

Hello ReefGoddess

So you mentioned that you are using a tek light fixture with ati bulbs. It would also be nice to know how many and what kind of bulbs you use. I intent to get an ati dimming powermodule fixture since u suggested to go with ATI but I'm not sure what bulbs to get.

I was looking here http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore...Zucht_%28KZ%29/

Heard these bulbs got really good reviews.

Cheers

There are many on this thread that i feel like i NEED.

I guess one of my Astrea snails fell into my yellow anemone...

Mini_snail1.jpg

I NEED to put one of those yellow ones next to my new additions!

first under a 50/50 CFL 20w to show some color, then under then PAR30 LED that they will be kept under. sorry, iphone3gs camera

post-6813-1298006467_thumb.jpg

post-6813-1298006490_thumb.jpg

Altra, I wouldn't really recommend the TEK fixture, better to go with an ATI fixture if you have the $$ and just hang it further away if needed. We use ATI Blueplus and Aquablue bulbs on a 1-1 ratio. 4 bulb fixture. I'm getting ready to order a 60" 8 bulb ATI fixture for my sps tank. Should be sweet!

Kweli you have amazing colors on ur anemones as well. Would you like to share ur tank and light setup with ur anemone buddies here :D

Thanks! I takes me a long time to pick one at the fish store....

Im using a 150W MH bulb which is about 22 inches away from those nems

34G Solana tank w/ the sunpod it comes with. Im not actually sure which bulb it is, but was told its 14k