SaltCritters.com

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Red mini mini-seems hardy to me

Small purple/green one-seems more touchy, like more light & moves more

That help?

It's the opposite for me! lol The purple green ones seem to never die. I even found one that was still alive after sitting in a bucket outside for two weeks.

I agree that the red minis like really low lighting. Bongo, maybe try placing it in a shaded spot. I found that my red would try to hide in holes and under rocks.

A few people ( I can only think of Lmecher) have mentioned that their red minis turned to mush like mine. So maybe low lighting and higher flow is the key to keeping these guys.

The different mini mini color varations all seem to come with different requirements it's weird! I even have one really cool mini mini that I've had for almost 2 years and it has never split, which is the complete opposite of the purple and green ones!

Well, like I said, some people have success with the red ones, so just follow what they do. lol I'm tearing down my 50 gallon soon, so I hope I can find one of red minis under a rock or something fingerscrossed

It's the opposite for me! lol The purple green ones seem to never die. I even found one that was still alive after sitting in a bucket outside for two weeks.

I agree that the red minis like really low lighting. Bongo, maybe try placing it in a shaded spot. I found that my red would try to hide in holes and under rocks.

A few people ( I can only think of Lmecher) have mentioned that their red minis turned to mush like mine. So maybe low lighting and higher flow is the key to keeping these guys.

The different mini mini color varations all seem to come with different requirements it's weird! I even have one really cool mini mini that I've had for almost 2 years and it has never split, which is the complete opposite of the purple and green ones!

Well, like I said, some people have success with the red ones, so just follow what they do. lol I'm tearing down my 50 gallon soon, so I hope I can find one of red minis under a rock or something fingerscrossed

Wow, really? You've got an invincible little nem!

I haven't experimented with different flow for the red, although it seemed happy in mod-low flow xD I guess everyone's is different :P

I need to get my hands on some mini/maxi mini nems :lol: But I'm worried about my clown goby being eaten, or my clowns being stung :(

Thanks! :D

They are healed enough now that I'll probably cut them both this weekend. omgomgomg

Only had time to catch another actinic only shot, but they are bright orange under daylights too, love 'em!

IMG_4582.jpg

DeMartini I really like your pink/orange one. Shall we trade? ;p

Some new shots of my ultra that are going on the website tonight. :D

PC040201.jpg

PC040193.jpg

PC040205.jpg

PC040003.jpg

PC040203.jpg

PC040018.jpg

PC040189.jpg

SWEET LEAPING JESUS, those are all BEAUTIFUL nems!

Anyone know the price going for red maxi minis? Are they really rarer/worth than the other maxis? :)

Edit: Nvm, just read up on this thread. I'm too scared to go for them now. :(

Edited by buddythelion

Buddylion: Then just get a regular red maxi mini instead of the more expensive, harder to keep red maxi variant. There are many red maxis that are easy to keep, they just aren't 100% solid red, but a lot of them are pretty close.

I 'd say from dealing the maxis the rainbows, oranges, and golds are about the most uncommon. Blues are hard for to get many of but I don't know if they are particularly rare. Pretty solid hot pinks and reds are somewhat rare.

But who knows how rare any of them are. I was contacted recently by a supplier in Vietnam and they said they had 6,000 anemones in stock. Makes me kinda worried as to whether they are leaving any in the ocean. I've tried to encourage my supplier to clone their anemones, but I guess they don't care.

Buddylion: Then just get a regular red maxi mini instead of the more expensive, harder to keep red maxi variant. There are many red maxis that are easy to keep, they just aren't 100% solid red, but a lot of them are pretty close.

I 'd say from dealing the maxis the rainbows, oranges, and golds are about the most uncommon. Blues are hard for to get many of but I don't know if they are particularly rare. Pretty solid hot pinks and reds are somewhat rare.

But who knows how rare any of them are. I was contacted recently by a supplier in Vietnam and they said they had 6,000 anemones in stock. Makes me kinda worried as to whether they are leaving any in the ocean. I've tried to encourage my supplier to clone their anemones, but I guess they don't care.

6,000?? They must be scooping up any and all that they see!

I know, its kind of ridiculous seeing as how they can be cloned so easily. I have probably cloned at least 100 anemones in the last 3 months and NONE have died or not healed up. I told my supplier that they could double their money, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Personally I haven't had to order more anemones since the last time I ordered over 2 months ago. I don't clone mine very often, maybe I clone 25-35 anemones once a month. But now I have around 200 anemones. lol And I have been selling them, not just sitting on them. They are really a farmer's dream coral. :D

kevantheman35

I have a nice bright pink and yellow one thats been in the tank about 3 weeks. For some reason it hasn't attached to anything, just bounces around the sand. It seems healthy and eats though. Do you think its healthy enough to clone?

That's odd that it hasn't attached to any rock. Is the foot in good shape? Its a maxi mini anemone? Usually the first thing they do is find a rock to attach to. Have you tried pushing it into a rock?

The problem is that once it is in a rock, it will probably be very hard to remove from the rock in order to clone it. I keep my anemones in a tank with no sandbed so they can attach to the glass. I still have to peel some off of rocks, but its not too bad.

I'll have to post some pics later of the full tank. I keep them coralled on the bottom for the most part. Some have crept into my main live rock and most of those are a lost cause unless I want to get a hammer and chisel out. :rolleyes:

kevantheman35

Yea its a maxi. It likes to fold itself in half its weird. I have others and they attached straight away so i can't get to them to cut :( I didn't think to look at the foot, ill take a look and try and get a pic when i change the water tonight. Heres some pics from when i first added it, when expanded its about 2 1/2 inches.

I'd love to see some pics of the tank!

img2759g.jpg

--------------------------------------

img2783.jpg

Edited by kevantheman35