Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

pmoradi2002
Are u going to be selling any?

No I had about 20 that I gave out for free, it's unfortunate that Nano-Nazi won't allow me to give to their members :(

No I had about 20 that I gave out for free, it's unfortunate that Nano-Nazi won't allow me to give to their members :(

I'm semi-local to you so if you want to give any more away.. I'd be happy to come get them :)

Oh, I had mentioned earlier that one of my maxis invaded another's crevice when I first bought it. So now the original one has shimmied all the way through the cave in the rock and popped out on the other side.. silly maxis.

Here's how they sit now ('scuse the cell phone picture)

5794380693_a0653d11bb_z.jpg

Vs. how it was before (in this pic, the green/white one on the left is completely under the red one):

5749173095_a4c7b04d46_z.jpg

Edited by sanchez
pmoradi2002
I'm semi-local to you so if you want to give any more away.. I'd be happy to come get them :)

I totally would of but the Nano-Police would come after me -_-

Yea..I think it was an honesty issue actually..or lack there of, on your part.

Nice 'nems everyone!!!! I'll post up my collection in a bit.

pmoradi2002
Yea..I think it was an honesty issue actually..or lack there of, on your part.

Nice 'nems everyone!!!! I'll post up my collection in a bit.

How so?

• 3 weeks later...
Nasty Canasta

Some amazing looking nems in this thread, makes mine look a little drab, but hey I'll share...

Sorry the images aren't great, always tricky with a auto-focus point & shoot camera!

f9pn4.jpg

I currently have three in my DD 24g nano, sadly one is almost invisible in the shade under an overhang but here's the best shot I can get of it

s28zf4.jpg

One of the three doesn't seem to be doing too well, the one in the foreground of the first photo, it's quite a bit smaller than the other two, and although the other two feed well on everything from mysis to a bit of prawn, this one doesn't seem to want to feed, i've placed mysis on it but it doesn't have the super sticky coating of the other two and any food just gets swept away by the current of stolen by a hermit!

It been in the tank for three weeks now but I'd be a lot happier if i saw if feeding, any suggestions?

pmoradi2002
Some amazing looking nems in this thread, makes mine look a little drab, but hey I'll share...

Sorry the images aren't great, always tricky with a auto-focus point & shoot camera!

f9pn4.jpg

I currently have three in my DD 24g nano, sadly one is almost invisible in the shade under an overhang but here's the best shot I can get of it

s28zf4.jpg

One of the three doesn't seem to be doing too well, the one in the foreground of the first photo, it's quite a bit smaller than the other two, and although the other two feed well on everything from mysis to a bit of prawn, this one doesn't seem to want to feed, i've placed mysis on it but it doesn't have the super sticky coating of the other two and any food just gets swept away by the current of stolen by a hermit!

It been in the tank for three weeks now but I'd be a lot happier if i saw if feeding, any suggestions?

Those are awsome! Believe me, I know. When I sell my Maxi's I am competing with sellers that have macro lenses and use heavy actinic lighting.

I do not feed mine. As with any anemone, they feed through the water column. It probably is already full :)

Nasty Canasta
Those are awsome! Believe me, I know. When I sell my Maxi's I am competing with sellers that have macro lenses and use heavy actinic lighting.

I do not feed mine. As with any anemone, they feed through the water column. It probably is already full :)

Thanks for the praise, appreciated, I always wish I had a digi-SLR but this old Canon works if you don't mind taking ten shots to get one in focus!

The green fella in the shade is my favourite,a very deep green with a kind of bronze frosting...just a shame it hides in the shade all the time.

The other two are incredibly sticky and any food will stick to them, but that little one just isn't sticky, any food that lands on it will get blown away by the current or a hermit will stomp over it and grab it.

It was about half the size of the other two and took days to open up when I first put it in the tank, & it took ages to fasten on to some rock, a few times i thought it had and turned the pumps back on & watched as it rolled around the tank until i caught it and wedged it near some rock again...!

Well I guess if yours aren't fed and do well I may not have anything to worry about with this little chap, we'll see how he shapes up, hopefully he'll perk up a bit, thanks again for the comments & info:-)

Be careful handling these little nems...it's not that they're poisonous...more I believe a chemical in them that makes them very addictive!

Reef Goddess

I haven't been on here in awhile. Since the maxi market has cooled I've just been growing mine out and enjoying my private garden. I have 20 sexy shrimp in with my maxis that are in heaven. My maxis have all been cloned at least 2 - 3 times now. I am still amazed at how little light they need in order to have nice coloration. I vacuum this tank for detritus once a month or so, but everything pretty much takes care of itself.

P6250052.jpg

P6140035.jpg

P6140014.jpg

P6140005.jpg

P6250059.jpg

I have more than 100 anemones in this tank. Cloning rules! :D

Reef Goddess

There are $20 maxis on ebay, they are also pretty darn small. I have some I would sell for $20 -$30. They might not be the best colors, but they are still nice.

Nasty Canasta

Some fantastic colors there RG, really great, I wish I dare clone one of mine but the thought of cutting one in half scares me to death, what's your survival rate?

Any tips?

I suspect mine would die but only because of my natural bad luck...if i dyed my hair blonde i'd get black dandruff!

:-)

Liking your black sand idea too there seamonkey..

Edited by Nasty Canasta
lpsouth1978

Here are mine. I have just started getting them about 3 weeks ago. There is only one place in Denver that I know carries them. I tried ordering from the internet, but you either pay WAY too much for them or they come basically dead. I recently orderd 5 online and 1 survived the trip.

2fcdc542.jpg

This one moved behind the rocks today where I can't see him at all. hopefully he reappears soon.

483d50d5.jpg

This is the one that survived shipping and it is TINY. It's about the size of a quarter.

DSCF7604.jpg

i wouldnt pay more than 20-30 for a maxi now. looks like ill never have maxis lol

Im dieing to setup a maxi mini/macro algae tank. Lfs has ultras for $60 but that's way more than I'm willing spend.

I'll wait, or keep scouring eBay I suppose. I need to stop being so cheap.

pmoradi2002
There are $20 maxis on ebay, they are also pretty darn small. I have some I would sell for $20 -$30. They might not be the best colors, but they are still nice.

Yeah I'm selling them at around that price, but they are not small. Around 3"-4".

Some fantastic colors there RG, really great, I wish I dare clone one of mine but the thought of cutting one in half scares me to death, what's your survival rate?

Any tips?

I suspect mine would die but only because of my natural bad luck...if i dyed my hair blonde i'd get black dandruff!

:-)

Liking your black sand idea too there seamonkey..

Survival rate is 95%.

Dry the nem. Use a new blade and cut it through the middle. Throw back into tank.